Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
SimplyYaris

Drives: Red Yaris HB
Yaris vs Fit vs Versa

The "gallery" part of this link seems to give first place to the Fit. Anybody do any comparisons?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/23/auto...ion=2006062707
SimplyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Well, I read some compare between Yaris, Fit and Versa in local newspaper and cars reviews and the Versa always finish first!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
Yeah right under the EPA estimates it shows "place" with the Yaris 3rd Versa 2nd and of course the Fit 1st.........how much faith could one place on the review though......they found a Fit for 14400 and a Versa for 13K.... yeah like that is going to happen..... I didn't see either for under 15. Besides they are UGLY and ours is not
Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah the fit just looks dated now, the versa looks like a reject from renault's new corporate designs, though with a right choice of bodykits both can look pretty nice.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I would not even consider the Versa in the same class as the Fit and the Yaris. It's BIGGER and MORE POWERFUL and gets LESS MPG, and loaded with GADGETS. How is that in the same class?
The Yarii and Fits will last forever, the Versa with Nissan and Renaults track record will be lucky to see 80K miles before repairs cost too much to be reasonable. The more gadgets, the more things will break. I'm tired of seeing Yaris in 3rd place with reviewers that look only at price, options and horsepower. The masses read that garbage and think the Yaris is crap compared to a Versa... how utterly misleading. The Yaris trancends specs into a Zen like state. I wanna scream when reading these "reviews". Does anyone else feel this way.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
I would not even consider the Versa in the same class as the Fit and the Yaris. It's BIGGER and MORE POWERFUL and gets LESS MPG, and loaded with GADGETS. How is that in the same class?
The Yarii and Fits will last forever, the Versa with Nissan and Renaults track record will be lucky to see 80K miles before repairs cost too much to be reasonable. The more gadgets, the more things will break. I'm tired of seeing Yaris in 3rd place with reviewers that look only at price, options and horsepower. The masses read that garbage and think the Yaris is crap compared to a Versa... how utterly misleading. The Yaris trancends specs into a Zen like state. I wanna scream when reading these "reviews". Does anyone else feel this way.
I've been wondering that. The media isn't giving the yaris much love. Odd. Cause the car is a very good one. All the media seems to like is all the fluff that raises the cost to cars way up. Which could be why they don't like the yaris cause its such a practical car.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell

Yeah I totally agree! Nissan insists that the Versa is a "sub-compact" but...its like marketing an SUV as a mid-size sedan but claiming its the best in class, best in class? Its in a different class! Of course its going to be bigger and have more ponies, its like an orange trying to be an apple! Sorry I'll get off my soap box.
It seems a lot of magazines are more concerned with horsepower than economy which is what these cars are primarly for...I often read the Versa forums and it seems most of the transactions are 16K plus! Yes I know the Yaris sedan can get that high but I see some people paying 17K plus for a Versa! And now Nissan has their Sentra which I believe starts at 15 or 16K with most of the options the Versa has and its not that much bigger than the Versa, so why go Versa? It seems Nissan is overlapping their cars too much. Also it seems Versa owners at least most can't even get 36mpg let alone break 30mpg! Some are getting below that! I read some owners really baby the car and it still can only break 30mpg and that's with the CVT!
Enough of my rant! But I feel your pain my friend!

Remember in the end its sales and not reviews! Despite that most (not all) magazines particular U.S. ones rag on the Yaris, its still kicking butt in sales! So obviously most don't agree with the garbage about the Yaris or unfair comparisons.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
This is the line I like in that Yaris Test Drive:

“Getting up to cruising speed, though, can be a bit of a nailbiter. You wind up flooring the Yaris' accelerator to merge onto the highway, and at around 70 mph the car starts to feel as if it's at its limit.”

Are they driving the same car we are???

Our only problem is all the other drivers on the road who seem to have a hard time finding the accelerator pedal on their cars when they get on the Freeway!

And straining at 70MPH??? As stated by others on this Forum, Yarii cruise happily at 80MPH.

One has to wonder if they actually drove one before they wrote that report.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Yeah I totally agree! Nissan insists that the Versa is a "sub-compact" but...its like marketing an SUV as a mid-size sedan but claiming its the best in class, best in class? Its in a different class! Of course its going to be bigger and have more ponies, its like an orange trying to be an apple!
Everything is always getting bigger. I remember when the Altima was size of the current Sentra. People are getting fatter and car companies are trying to compensate. I, on the other hand, want a Suzuki Cappuccino.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Suzuki Cappuccino? I had to go look that up... looks like a Miata on crack.

I agree... the Versa is basically competing directly against cars like the Civic and Mazda 3 in my mind. That leaves the Fit and Yaris, and considering the Fit is thousands more than the Yaris and STILL looks like a Suzuki Aerio, I think I made the right choice.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings
This is the line I like in that Yaris Test Drive:

“Getting up to cruising speed, though, can be a bit of a nailbiter. You wind up flooring the Yaris' accelerator to merge onto the highway, and at around 70 mph the car starts to feel as if it's at its limit.”

Are they driving the same car we are???

Our only problem is all the other drivers on the road who seem to have a hard time finding the accelerator pedal on their cars when they get on the Freeway!

And straining at 70MPH??? As stated by others on this Forum, Yarii cruise happily at 80MPH.

One has to wonder if they actually drove one before they wrote that report.
I am having a hard time to modulate the gas pedal by not going over 70 mph. I found that I am so easy to go over 70 mph or til 85 mph.. and that yield a lower MPG.
The quote
is absolutly inaccurate.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
i spent alot of time comparing the two, i wanted to take a good look at the fit but i couldnt find any and had to make a decision. The versa is a really good car all around. The problem with the reviews is that they are comparing relativly base model yaris--often times with roll up windows they say, to a fully loaded versa, making a difference from 11,000 dollars to slightly over 17,000 dollars.. over a 50% increase in price and worse fuel economy. However, through in side airbags and power package on the yaris and it is the same price as the base fit. That of course removes the CVT transmission that nissan is going to replace on all model cars in the next two years...so what is that going to do to your resale value? also, if it is just a fill in the gap generation how well refine are the transmissions? take out all of the gadget, blue tooth, cruise control, six cd system, CVT into the auto and i wonder how they would have rated them. Nontheless the interior is much nicer, much more space for all passengers and luggage, though most people on the versa forums are already talking about having to have taken it in for an average of about three problems--in particular with the TPMS of course.
so, the comparisons are really unfair, base model yaris against a 17-18,000 versa...of coruse the versa will be nicer for a week long test....but compare it to other 17-18,000 dollar cars and it suddenly falls behind the Pack. so it really comes down to, can you stand averaging about 26 mpg with the auto trans versa and having a much nicer interior, and do you think it will last, and will you be able to handle the deadly blow your resale value is likely to take when they switch out all of their cars to CVT transmission? i couldnt. but then again im uncomfrotable in my yaris, only averaging 26 mpg in it:) i think because i drive 80-90 mph...im not sure and am really wishing i had gotten a ford focus ZX5 SES with traction control, ABS EBD, side airbags for telescopic steering wheel, cruise, radio controls and all around much better interior, bigger car with four doors, 5 year powertrain warrenty with someting like 30 more hp and about the same highway mpg...all at 14.9 pre taxes...that is where its at:) so go look at the focus before you get a yaris, unlike me and forget about the versa. if you ahve the money to get the nicer one, then you have better options.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
I’d rather take the word of people that bought the car instead of those
that just test drive it. Check out the auto section on Yahoo and read the
reviews:
Out of 94 reviews only 2 gave the Yaris the lowest score of one star.
In other words 2.13% hated the Yaris
The Nissan Versa had 53 reviews with 4 giving it the lowest score.
7.55% hate the Versa
Finally the Honda Fit had 45 reviews with 8 people giving it the lowest
score 10.77% of new owners hate the Honda Fit.
I’ll listen to the people!

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran Kizama
Everything is always getting bigger. I remember when the Altima was size of the current Sentra. People are getting fatter and car companies are trying to compensate. I, on the other hand, want a Suzuki Cappuccino.

You have a point and I agree, as time goes on cars move up market and become bigger, but that's not what I was really get at...the Versa is new for the N/A market (I know its been on the market in other places for a year or so as the Tiida), so that means it started out this "big" and was put into the "sub-compact" arena. So Nissan pretty much put a compact car and plopped it into hey its a sub-compact thats the size of an SUV so we're better than everyone! I'm not saying that being spacious is bad, no not at all it just seems Nissan is trying to market the orange with the apples-there I go with the food metaphores again, I must be hungry...I believe I read that some Versa owners looking at the sticker price sheet on the car and it says the EPA classifies it as a compact
Oh well.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #15
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
I’d rather take the word of people that bought the car instead of those
that just test drive it. Check out the auto section on Yahoo and read the
reviews:
Out of 94 reviews only 2 gave the Yaris the lowest score of one star.
In other words 2.13% hated the Yaris
The Nissan Versa had 53 reviews with 4 giving it the lowest score.
7.55% hate the Versa
Finally the Honda Fit had 45 reviews with 8 people giving it the lowest
score 10.77% of new owners hate the Honda Fit.
I’ll listen to the people!

Hays
The low scores with very little writing are usually from haters that bought a piece of crap car and are trying to make the Yaris, or whatever car, look bad. Also, I wouldn't put it past a dealer to get some car salesmen to post bad user reviews for rival cars. Some people also post bad reviews if the dealership sucks, but the car is fine.
Oh well, these things will never change...
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I'm with Ran... smaller is better! I ruined my '72 Honda Z600 by tearing it all to pieces before I had the means to rebuild it, so I'm really missing my mini-fix. The Yaris is mighty close, but I think I'm going to try to hold off for a 2008 Smart! When I say I like small, I mean small!

I really want to like the Fit, but I just can't make myself. Reviewers love it, I think it looks like a mid-90's minivan. The car may rock, but I can't get past the exterior styling (interior is awesome!). I like everything about the Versa but the front. Dog ugly. My only complaint with the Yaris is how quickly the additional options add up. Even decked out, it doesn't have all the features of a Hyundai Accent, and winds up costing more.

Speaking of which, why do all the Reviewers keep using the Versa in their comparisons instead of the Accent? The new SE is pretty sweet, and actually is in the same class as the Fit and Yaris. Nobody seems to be paying it much attention...?

~YR
Old 11-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #17
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
The Versa is a really nice car in a lot of ways but it has some serious flaws too. On paper you can make any car sound better than any other car. For example my Yaris gets better mileage, has more ground clearance, and more trunk space than a Mercedes SL500! Hey I'd be happy if these reviews kept people from buying the Yaris... then our cars will be more unique. If you want to be like everyone else, buy a civic.

I seriously considered the Versa but bought a Yaris for these reasons:

Versa has 6 speed transmission and is still too low in top gear and too high in first gear. What is the purpose of the 6 speed tranny then? It also feels cheap when shifting and makes a noticeable clicking sound with each shift. The CVT is very nice but the SL model costs $3000 more. That's 1/4 of a Yaris right there!

Poor low RPM torque, hard to start out in first gear (worse than the Yaris).

Toyotas have better resale value. No data to back this up, just my perception from looking at the classified ads.

Gas mileage. Yaris EPA estimate is better and mine hasn't been under 41 mpg on a tank.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
sanchez
vroooom!

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
not only does the yaris look the best after test driving the fit it feels better on the road not, the fit looks like a chevy aveo and the versa looks like a miniature nissan quest.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote