Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
The Yaris escaped problems by being built in Japan?

just curious if our cars escaped all these recalls, problems because it was built in japan.

All the affected cars were built in USA rah?
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
OtownYaris

Drives: Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to OtownYaris Send a message via Yahoo to OtownYaris
Yeah, that was my understanding too. I'm glad both my Yaris and my Cube were built in Japan.
OtownYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtownYaris View Post
Yeah, that was my understanding too. I'm glad both my Yaris and my Cube were built in Japan.
i wished the cube had clear window straight through the back(no column on the left side), that would have been so cool. they could have built a metal beam inside the car instead.

i like the cube, i just don't like that part
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I was proud of the stickers in my car window saying it was made in Kanegasaki, Iwate Prefecture, Japan, and that it had 0% U.S. or Canadian content. And I say that as one who grew up in a family that always bought GM cars, and after owning quite a few made by all of the Big Three.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
100% Japan! 0% Problems
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
American supplier(s) to blame.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I beg to differ with you about being built in Japan. The yaris has a TSB from june of '08 telling the dealers that there may be a problem with the rear wheel speed sensors and wiring harness of the ABS system giving up the ghost because of salt and malfunctioning. Our northern neighbors in Canada and the northern states that use salt are now experiencing this problem at between 40 and 80 thousand miles. If you didn't catch it before the warranty was up or failed to buy the extended warranty then you are out between 300 and 500 dollars PER side to fix it. Toyota should have told their dealers in northern climates to do the TSP when the cars came in for service to prevent any problems but didn't, a GM type response. I love my yaris but this is a expensive and painful fix on a critical system on the car. Be careful of your gloating when made in japan appears.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i wonder if they fixed that issues in 2010s..
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I beg to differ with you about being built in Japan. The yaris has a TSB from june of '08 telling the dealers that there may be a problem with the rear wheel speed sensors and wiring harness of the ABS system giving up the ghost because of salt and malfunctioning. Our northern neighbors in Canada and the northern states that use salt are now experiencing this problem at between 40 and 80 thousand miles. If you didn't catch it before the warranty was up or failed to buy the extended warranty then you are out between 300 and 500 dollars PER side to fix it. Toyota should have told their dealers in northern climates to do the TSP when the cars came in for service to prevent any problems but didn't, a GM type response. I love my yaris but this is a expensive and painful fix on a critical system on the car. Be careful of your gloating when made in japan appears.
Hadn't heard about that. A majority of '07-'08 Yaris's didn't have ABS (including mine) anyway.

Does suck if you have to pay out of pocket though.

Let's remember that no car company can be perfect all the time. It's impossible even in Japan. Even Lexus only claims to pursue perfection.

Anyway, these recalls have been blown way out of proportion. An extremely small % of owners claim any issue and I'm willing to bet many complaints were driver error. The media has turned it into a frenzy and people believe it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
When I was in japan last year, I went to the Mazda factory in Hiroshima. I know its not Toyota, but it looked a lot cleaner and better designed than the ford plants that I have seen over here in the US. Im not saying that would cause all these recall issues, but it just was an amazing site to see
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ I'd love to visit Japan some day, but it's really far from here. Visiting foreign countries is always an eye opener.

Quote:
Let's remember that no car company can be perfect all the time. It's impossible even in Japan. Even Lexus only claims to pursue perfection.
What a great comment. ^
Old 02-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
^ I'd love to visit Japan some day, but it's really far from here. Visiting foreign countries is always an eye opener.^
I was over there for a year on a study abroad program, it was insane. I want to go back every day. I loved the cars over there, especially looking at the GTR
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
The ABS issue is huge for those of us in Canada. 600+ people have the problem in Ontario (according to backorder on parts). Shame that Toyota is making us pay $1000+ per wheel to get it fixed.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
^ I'd love to visit Japan some day, but it's really far from here. Visiting foreign countries is always an eye opener.

WTF? You're living in like the main port city for traffic to Japan. I flew through SF both times, same with my fiancee. It's a 12hr flight there, 10hrs back. Similar times compared to Europe from the east coast. The first day you will most likely be all phuqerd due to jet lag. I remember it took 2-3 days to get in sync when I got there. Took much longer re-adjusting when I came back to the states.

GO! have fun, and have your bills paid up in advance... cause it is a spendy place. Sit down in a YoshiNoya and have a beef rice bowl for me, then head over to a SunKus (circle K by a different name), and pick up the 6piece sushi with the 3 pieces of the rice rolls with sweet egg covering... AHHHH I miss those, never thought such tasty food could exist in a mini-mart, and to think it was like $3. After that... drop $150 and get yourself a Kobe Steak.... a REAL ONE. I regret not getting around to that when I was there.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I beg to differ with you about being built in Japan. The yaris has a TSB from june of '08 telling the dealers that there may be a problem with the rear wheel speed sensors and wiring harness of the ABS system giving up the ghost because of salt and malfunctioning..
+2

additionally, wasnt there an issue with the belt tensioner that involved possible fire with the Japanese made Yaris?? was there not a recall?

in 2006, Toyota sent assembly line managers and execs to the Cambridge plant in Canada to because the cars coming out of there were having less problems per 100 vehicles than the ones being built in Japan (my future BIL works for Toyota in Japan) and they wanted to figure out why. the same quality control procedures are in place, but the conclusion was that the moral of Japanese workers was lower than the workers in Cambridge. (no wonder, as they no longer enjoy a lifetime of employment security the way their parents did--welcome to the crappy economy)

Toyota in Japan is under the same pressures to source their parts from the cheapest possible source while still trying to balance that out with quality of the parts.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post

in 2006, Toyota sent assembly line managers and execs to the Cambridge plant in Canada to because the cars coming out of there were having less problems per 100 vehicles than the ones being built in Japan (my future BIL works for Toyota in Japan) and they wanted to figure out why.
Can you cite this source please?
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
, and that it had 0% U.S. or Canadian content.
hehehe what is funny is, there -is- US content in them.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
100% Japan! 0% Problems
Amen to that.