Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
My Yaris was bruised today... :-(

Driving in San Fran today in the Yaris. Was driving along on 19th when this idiot in a black Silverado pickup pulling a flatbed U-Haul races by on my right way too fast and cuts in front of me... would have been find if he hadn't been pulling a trailer, but instead the rear corner of the trailer caught the front bumper of my Yaris. :-( My second accident ever, ~19 years of driving (and I drive a lot), and again, completely unavoidable.

He took off, passing a bunch of other people the same way, didn't stop until he saw me on the phone and trying to get his license plate number. 911 operator indicated that I should just let him go since he tried to run, you never know. He was a complete jerk about it, said it was my fault since I was "going too slow and impeding traffic"... yeah, just like all of those other cars he passed that way.

I'm afraid that I'll get stuck with the deductible if he changes his story (911 didn't send police since he stopped and there were no injuries)... there's really no way to prove that he changed lanes into me, even though he even admitted it saying "I forgot I had that f-- trailer."

On the positive side, another MM hatch passed me on the way home on Hwy 80 and was giving me thumbs up. :-) If it was one of you, sorry I wasn't too enthusiastic, I was still upset about my incident.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Awww sorry to hear that! Lot of jerks on the road in the Bay Area
Is your Yaris mostly OK ?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Investigation can prove that he hit you by the damages on both vehicles.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
eddy
love to drive

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Smile

Hi just wanted to say that Iam sorry about your mis-hab and hope everything works out ok
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Be firm with the police, especially SF police...sometimes they are jerks to small things like this....

Like Laz said, inspection of the damage to your car can be told it was his fault.

I hate SUVad Pick-up drivers around Bay Area, esp. SF. Everytime I drive in the city, someone is always about to side swipe me or swerve directly into my sides.. :(
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
most definitely get a portable HD camcorder and do a car mount for situations like this. I put one in last week, ...ironically, my parents got into a car accident on Sunset the following day i got the cam, too bad it wasnt in there car, guy (lincoln strong ass car body) runs a stop sign trying to beat traffic and hits. No insurance, dad called cops and yeah. The 4runner got a huge bent bumper, i dont want to think what would have happened with my Yaris against such a massively sound car like the Lincoln town car.

As for a hd camera, get something like the new kodak zi8, 60fps on 720p, put on a wide angle lens and good to go, or cheaper go with the Creative Vado HD, has built in wide angle lens, only portable hd cam with one that i know of just 30fps on 720p tho. Ill put up a video of my cam in action.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
how does that work? if he changes his story all of a sudden you have to pay for him hitting you??? i would think it would be pretty obvious to the insurer that his client hit you if you're calling him out on it and have his insurance info and stuff... plus aren't police supposed to respond to every accident???

haha sorry i just questioned your whole story. i hope the Yaris is ok though ans it's a good thing no one got hurt... cars can always be fixed
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
sorry to hear that
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
twowheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
how does that work? if he changes his story all of a sudden you have to pay for him hitting you??? i would think it would be pretty obvious to the insurer that his client hit you if you're calling him out on it and have his insurance info and stuff... plus aren't police supposed to respond to every accident???

haha sorry i just questioned your whole story. i hope the Yaris is ok though ans it's a good thing no one got hurt... cars can always be fixed
CA law requires both parties to give the same information to each other. He also has my insurance information. The law also doesn't require the police to come out for non-injury accidents. There is no police report, no witnesses, and thus his story against mine.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
twowheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
most definitely get a portable HD camcorder and do a car mount for situations like this.
How often do you encounter situations like this? Like I said above I've only had two accidents, one of which the lady admitted fault to the police (she ran a red light and totalled my Elantra), and that one was 150k miles ago!! I don't even justify the cost of an HD camera for general use, let alone mounting in my car!!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
How often do you encounter situations like this? Like I said above I've only had two accidents, one of which the lady admitted fault to the police (she ran a red light and totalled my Elantra), and that one was 150k miles ago!! I don't even justify the cost of an HD camera for general use, let alone mounting in my car!!
How often you say? True, hopefuly not often, but its something to help out, like thinking how often would you need airbags in your car or car insurance (if it wasnt required by law here) As for the cost, for only $130 id say its nice to have, not just for car accidents but for making for some nice driving videos or homevideo what nots. Im sorry if i barged in to your thread with my thoughts. Just stories like yours scare me to want to have a camera just in case. I had a friend who got a hit an run after the guy pulled over, and ran away after nearly running my friend over back up....

Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I'm sorry, but no matter what in any situation GET A POLICE REPORT stating the other driver was at fault, doesn't need to say they were cited or police estimate of damage ( they don't know how much a car is worth partswise). they aren't required to show up but you can request in fact demand (politely) that they show up. it would've looked better seeing as the other guy was being a d88k.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I'm sorry, but no matter what in any situation GET A POLICE REPORT stating the other driver was at fault, doesn't need to say they were cited or police estimate of damage ( they don't know how much a car is worth partswise). they aren't required to show up but you can request in fact demand (politely) that they show up. it would've looked better seeing as the other guy was being a d88k.
should of just hit your hand on the dash just to get it red and call the police and tell them your injured, Since he was trying to hit and run the cops should of came out for that.

I had the same thing happen back in 2004, some drunk guy hit the back of my and took off, so i chased him down on the phone with the cops and they said to let him go and they will sent a cop out in a bit. I told the dispatch not to worry about it then, send an ambulance because when I catch him hes going to be in the hospital.

I guess that worked becasue 5 cops showed up out of no where, 3 boxed me in and 2 boxed in the other guy.

I was like WTF come out later, i pay taxes for you to do you job, quit being lazy. it was at like 11:30, and all off a sudden i make a threat and all these cops now have nothing better to do

im still pissed about that

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well Im glad he didnt pull out a gun and shoot you. Here in NJ/Philly every night on the news there are people involved in fender benders who come out shooting. If he's and ex con or has a warrant out and you chase after him you could be in a lot of trouble if he thinks hes going back in the slammer...
What we need are black boxes with recorded video feed from the front, rear, and both sides. The tape/DVD could run in a 15 minute loop. So in an accident theres unimpeachible evidence as to who the perps are. Shouldnt cost very much. People would be A LOT more carefull if they knew everything the did was being recorded. Probably cut the accident/death rate in half. The cops are completely powerless to do anything about something like what happened to you.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
ezhacker1

when i rented a 09 rav4 for vacation, i was bored and read the car manual, listed a "black box" recorded vital information of the car: speed, when brakes applied, acceleration, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think the computer can read read for that kind of info on all cars today. If the police have enough times and resources to do it...which they dont.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
twowheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
when i rented a 09 rav4 for vacation, i was bored and read the car manual, listed a "black box" recorded vital information of the car: speed, when brakes applied, acceleration, etc.
IIRC the Yaris manual says something similar.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
thats strange, over here a cop has to show up to any and all car accidents. To write a report, so shit like this doesn't happen where one person's word is against the others. Sometimes they take an hour, sometimes they show up right away, but one way or another, someone has to show up.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote