Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Cool Belly Pan / Under Carriage Cover anyone ?

Having worked on many models, and of course the changing times, you see differences. Like the Prius and it's mileage gains (as well as other models and makes).
-You see the feather light rims.
-You see the headlamp (where it meets bumper) is tucked under the bumper at the front
You see underpinnings/belly pan/undercarriage covers, especially on the Prius and Fusions, as well as others. (my 10 has small beginnings of what the Prius has)
Of course the aero body isn't the only thing saving fuel, it's the other tech stuff too like direct injection with no fuel return in a sealed environment, tighter and more gears, and so on.
----Has anyone found belly pans on the newer Yarii ?
----Has anyone made one up or used one from another vehicle that would fit from the Yota family ?
Just curious, but I think that would help squeak some more miles per gallon out on the highway.
Body gap trim would be another idea, but I would think a belly pan that is usable, and wouldn't over heat the engine or trans would be a good thing for mileage.
Thoughts ?
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
Having worked on many models, and of course the changing times, you see differences. Like the Prius and it's mileage gains (as well as other models and makes).
-You see the feather light rims.
-You see the headlamp (where it meets bumper) is tucked under the bumper at the front
You see underpinnings/belly pan/undercarriage covers, especially on the Prius and Fusions, as well as others. (my 10 has small beginnings of what the Prius has)
Of course the aero body isn't the only thing saving fuel, it's the other tech stuff too like direct injection with no fuel return in a sealed environment, tighter and more gears, and so on.
----Has anyone found belly pans on the newer Yarii ?
----Has anyone made one up or used one from another vehicle that would fit from the Yota family ?
Just curious, but I think that would help squeak some more miles per gallon out on the highway.
Body gap trim would be another idea, but I would think a belly pan that is usable, and wouldn't over heat the engine or trans would be a good thing for mileage.
Thoughts ?
Micro Image used to sell one that went from the bumper to the subframe (almost identical to the one made by C One, but easier to take on and off). Below is a link to the thread on it. There is also a thread on the Micro Image forum on a rear one that someone fabricated (and added a rear diffuser to).

Sitting under mine while they are on the lift I strongly believe that the Yaris would benefit from as much underpanel as one could possibly add.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=underpanel
Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I have the MI one and it's great. It keeps the engine bay cleaner for longer. I also got it because I wanted to prevent the car from wobbling so much on the highway. I'd like to think that it worked, but I can't say for sure since I added a rear sway bar at the same time.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
That MI one looks very, very interesting. I'm going to keep that idea in mind if you please.
:)
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
dragoonmc

Drives: 07 hatchback
Micro Image no longer sells theirs.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The alum. looks nice. I wonder on the weight it adds, as well as does the engine optimum temp change and the fan runs more or no ?
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Not heavy at all. Engine temps are fine since there's still enough air flowing through.
It's one of those mods that complement the car really well.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Not heavy at all. Engine temps are fine since there's still enough air flowing through.
It's one of those mods that complement the car really well.
I really should have bought a couple while Micro Image was selling them. I am in the process now of fabricating one myself for one of my cars which is missing the OEM plastic pieces. If it comes out good, then I will make two more for my other two streetable Yaris.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
We are talking to the fabricator about making more sets of these. Stay tuned. There's a thread on our forums about it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonmc View Post
Micro Image no longer sells theirs.
I want it for my BMW :) With a splitter up front. So I'd have to design it myself anyway.

@ M-I / Cali Yaris: Do you ship them to Europe as well for a p1?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
We are talking to the fabricator about making more sets of these. Stay tuned. There's a thread on our forums about it.
^This. Do want.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
I was thinking of making one that extended to the bottom edge of the bumper to protect it from driveway scrapes. I can care less about my stock bumper now, but when I ever do get a JDM one imported.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Those MI panels look really nice. But, would it be possible to modify it by installing little access doors (for oil filter and drain) instead of having to remove it completely (even though removal of the panel is made easier with the Dzus fasteners)?
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
I looked and couldn't find the thread. I am interested in one as my plastic one is gone and I hated it anyway.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's been dormant since mid-December. I added a post the other day. http://microimageonline.com/forums/s...TB-Under-panel
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Those MI panels look really nice. But, would it be possible to modify it by installing little access doors (for oil filter and drain) instead of having to remove it completely (even though removal of the panel is made easier with the Dzus fasteners)?
If you had one, you're welcome to cut a door and add hinges and a latch. From my side, that added to much cost to the part.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
tk-421
Super Moderator

... not to mention, more moving parts = bigger possibility for failure. It might be a better idea to simply cut the hole and skip on the latch/hinges.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
If you had one, you're welcome to cut a door and add hinges and a latch. From my side, that added to much cost to the part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
... not to mention, more moving parts = bigger possibility for failure. It might be a better idea to simply cut the hole and skip on the latch/hinges.
OIC. More a cost issue (nothing wrong with that) than a structural issue. Thanks.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote