Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
ArtS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
New TRD exhaust too loud

I will say up front I am a senior citizen so consider that when flaming me. I just installed a TRD exhaust on my 2007 Yaris hatchback and am very disappointed with the interior noise. I wanted a little more sound but with this TRD muffler during normal acceleration it is way too loud for comfort. It seems at high rpm it is not too much louder than stock but under low rpm load it a pain. It seems the droning may be the spare tire compartment sheet metal vibrating too much (the TRD muffler has an additional rubber hanger that attaches under the spare tire area. Would adding some deadener to the spare tire area (dynamat?) be worth the effort and cost? Iv'e got the stock muffler back on for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0502.JPG (146.2 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0503.JPG (161.7 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0504.JPG (180.6 KB, 503 views)
ArtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Yes, dynamat in that trunk area will definately help some. I read about some tile stuff that is supposed to do pretty good also. I'll see if I can find a link.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Here you go, check out this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=cld+tiles
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Dynamat or a similar product (Dynamat is the most expensive) will work well.

Another general mod to deaden sound is to spray undercoating (comes in a can) onto the inside wheel well surfaces (the Yaris doesn't have any there!). Makes the car a lot quieter.

The TRD is one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts you can buy, not sure you can get a quieter product.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Well at any rate, it looks really good!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Grandieri

Drives: 2010 Matrix
If you ever want to sell it I'd be interested.
Grandieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandieri View Post
If you ever want to sell it I'd be interested.
2ndin line....
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
No one is going to flame you! And by the way, if I haven't said it already, welcome to the forum!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I have the same exhaust and yes the car is louder.

It doesn't really bother me as my subs drown out the noise:)

I would say all theses suggestions should help, but you will need to deaden the entire floor for a true road noise killer.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I've been having the same issues as the OP and I just stuffed a blanket in the spare tire area and it really deadens the sound. I think the shape of the spare tire area really amplifies muffler noise into the cabin, so I would start there personally.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
well i'm 40 and installed a Tanabe Medallion on my 2007 lb this summer. The droning got to me a bit too so i feel your pain. i lined the spare tire and trunk floor area with a dynamat like material and it helped a little. i then pulled the plastic trim off of the rear hatch itself and lined it with the deadener and it helped ALOT. just don't over do it as it does at weight and you don't want to over load the hatch lift struts. i've also noticed the sound getting a slight bit softer as the innards of the muffler can are getting carboned up. it's to the point where i can certainly live with it but will spray the wheel wells per garm's suggestion and might try stuffng some more deadener on the interior sidewalls of the trunk if i get ambitious.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I have that same exhaust, wheels, and sway bar you have!

The exhaust seems to sound louder inside the car than it does to the pulic outside. I used FatMat, it helped. BUT it's still is louder than stock and always will be.
The special rubber exhaust hanger lasts about a year. After that it dries out and breaks. I went through two already in two years. I had the first replaced under warrentee. I made up my own hanger after the second one died....
It's a real nice, well made exhaust that should last a long time since it's stainless.
It takes a while to get used to the different sound. I'd give it some time before you pull it off the car.
Welcome to the boards.
PS;I was able to install this exhaust without even jacking up the car, great DIY project.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
no offense, but why would a senoir citizen install an afternarket exhaust in the first place?
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #14
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
a product called Lizardskin is a option too here's a link. Lil pricey but I've herd it a lot BETTER than dynamat and similar stuff
http://www.lizardskin.com/ I'm thinkin about getting some for my cars

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
ArtS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Why in the first place?

Hey there brg88tx - It is a fair question. As you will find out when you get old enough, just because you get grey and wrinkled you do not basically change your personality and interests. I've been a "car guy" since I was a kid and am sure I will till I die. Its always fun to have your car be a little special and an exhaust change has often been the way for me to go. Over the years I've had Abarth mufflers on a Renault, EMPI and Borla mufflers on VWs, Stebro exhaust on a NIssan SE-R, etc. Well you get the idea - what you are doesn't change with age. Have a good day!
ArtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
no offense, but why would a senoir citizen install an afternarket exhaust in the first place?
Ask Carroll Shelby.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtS View Post
Hey there brg88tx - It is a fair question. As you will find out when you get old enough, just because you get grey and wrinkled you do not basically change your personality and interests. I've been a "car guy" since I was a kid and am sure I will till I die. Its always fun to have your car be a little special and an exhaust change has often been the way for me to go. Over the years I've had Abarth mufflers on a Renault, EMPI and Borla mufflers on VWs, Stebro exhaust on a NIssan SE-R, etc. Well you get the idea - what you are doesn't change with age. Have a good day!
Very well put!

Did I notice you also have a rear sway bar?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I spy a TRD 19mm sway bar
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote