Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post

If you've got nothing positive to say, then shut the hell up. This place is for like minded individuals and if you just so happen to disagree with one of these individuals, keep it to yourself.
wow, wow, wow, hold the bus right there!!!

Just to be clear. This forum is a virtual community for people with a common interest, the Yaris. Nobody said anything about like-minded individuals ; there is a bit of a difference

As a matter of fact, the personalities and backgrounds of the people on this board are literally all over the map. You can't expect people to just think alike or shut up.

However, we do ask that you all puuuuleeeeez all try to make an effort to get along.

People will and do disagree on a lot of issues, and are free to debate with each other (isn't it what forums like this one are for, as well?) so long as the debates stays civil

Enuff said.

- - -
Brian, you knew that snide comment was gonna raise some trouble in the thread right? *sigh*
Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #20
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
ok sorry Dad "tomato"
come on jclo3313,TK & BailOut kiss and make up
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
All,

While I stand by the sentiment of my first post in this thread I realize that I could have and should have gotten it across in a much less incendiary manner. For that I apologize and will work to check myself more thoroughly in the future.

It is worth noting that most of the responses to me were just as, if not even more, incendiary than my own post. This is a clear indicator that many of us need to calm down and make an effort to be more kind to each other.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo3313 View Post
I have to agree, I live in rural Georgia north of Atlanta. Lots of twists, turns and fun little hills. This car loves the backroads, not to mention I'm not far away from U.S. 129 and deals gap. ( Tail of the Dragon http://www.killboy.com/ )
I've been to Deal's Gap before, on a motorcycle. It was quite a fun time! I'd love to run it in my Yaris!

But I've heard it's been closed for a while, due to landslides. Do you know if any progress has been made on clearing the roads?!?

Cheers! M2
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
all is good, everyone back to your respective corners and lets have fun ;o). back on topic in 1....2.....3....
3 2 1 perhaps?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I've been to Deal's Gap before, on a motorcycle. It was quite a fun time! I'd love to run it in my Yaris!

But I've heard it's been closed for a while, due to landslides. Do you know if any progress has been made on clearing the roads?!?

Cheers! M2
In so far as I know the road is good to go. Let me know when you would like to do run on the Dragon.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Quote:
if you like but you never saw leathal weapon's bathroom scene?
LOL

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #26
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
It doesn't handle as well around turns as most people make it out to be on this forum either. My last car that I spent 3000.00 on could handle turns at almost double the speed my Yaris does. I guess its not really fair to compare based on something like price point and used vs. new but still.
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
Quote:
with proper tires, the Yaris handles great. What tires are you using?
Stock..and I understand how that effects it negatively, however my actual point that I didn't want to come off too rude by saying is that the Yaris wasn't even designed specifically to do any sort of performing on the road beside getting a person from point A to point B. It just isn't a race car, straight race, or around turns. Yes you can make it into a decent handling car but as a stock car, there are a very, very large amount of other cars that handle around turns way better.
Don't get me wrong I do like my Yaris I am just aware of negatives as much as positives.
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Mine came with 205/40/17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and I've added chassis bars, front, mid and rear. Mine is fun. Is it a rally car, well no, but you can still enjoy the car for what it is.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
ok sorry Dad "tomato"
come on jclo3313,TK & BailOut kiss and make up
a little over the top? sorry about that, putting the soap box away now
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #30
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
barber! lol, look at what u've done!! lol. instead of starting ure car in 3rd, try it in 1st, lol (jksjks)

maybe i drive it hard or i dont have alot to compare it to but not alot of cars pass me. and off the line i'm usually first. yes its not a V6 or V8 (or even has over 110hp) lol, but its fun, keeps me going and safe but keeps me out of trouble too. its peppy.....not sporty.

i really find at cruzing speeds when i plan to overtake it jsut makes alot of noise.... lol, but it gets there....eventually, lol. its a yaris, what do u want? lol

and oh, FYI, +1 on the supercharger idea. lol, let me know how it goes, plan on doing the same (2 years down the road or so)

oh, and here is something my friends made up at work for my car (canadian RS model), they jsut couldn't figure out what RS ment and i wouldn't tell them, so they came up with RS meaning Really slow.....lol, (instead of Rally Sport) lol, i thought it was funny and felt i should share, lol. and really, i'm sorry, its reality (kinda)
Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #31
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
Quote:
maybe i drive it hard or i dont have alot to compare it to but not alot of cars pass me.
hmm, well not many expect much from a yaris. I have a few areas in sydney where there are 5 dual lane roundabouts in a row, i go through them on the way to and from work and never have i been beaten through, burnt many holden and ford heros, any one can drive a car in a line fast, if they have the hp. Not all can brake late keep in there lain and keep speed through a corner, my old man has always had the audi Quattros ,bmw, HSV, CLK500 very capable cars but when i flogged him in his $130,000 BMW with my $15,000 yaris he went and got the EVO 10, ha ha game over. I cant touch him lol but we are both into the skill part of driving. Where every time we get ion the car its about learning how the car handles the conditions and how we can become more refined at cornering as my old man told me years ago anyone can get a fast car and go fast in a line =)
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i find i love the yaris when there aren't any other cars driving fast on the road

its peppy enough to get thru traffic and fun to rip up to speed

this is all well and good until there is someone else driving spiritedly

frig the yaris feels slow.

i mean, i came off a matrix xrs, which is by no means a powerhouse, but it had enough ooomph to take on and get-ahead-of many other cars on the road

twice now while driving to my night class on a road with a 70kph speed limit ive been pitted against cars that in my head are slow, but have surprised me.

first was a 5.9L jeep cherokee.....i stuck with him in 1st after a red light, but he just kept pulling away afterwards.....we gave each other the thumbs up, but i guess im used to pulling away from cars like that.

second was last night. i was behind a done-up older (boxy) accord at a light, we both turned right onto the 70kph road and he went wide, i was WOT and chirped my winters into second gear....he heard and kept WOT as well....i couldnt pull on him.....

i really need to put in that supercharger

but the yaris is till fun to open up if no one else is on the road...it almost feels fast

**also current cornering is shite w/ 185 wide winter tires w/ open tread...
Imagine how lethargic an auto. Yaris felt to test-drive after I drove my turbo talon into a stealership. Drove a 5-speed immediately after and felt I could at least live with it after my memories of the Talon's 2.0 litre turbo grunt faded.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Imagine how lethargic an auto. Yaris felt to test-drive after I drove my turbo talon into a stealership. Drove a 5-speed immediately after and felt I could at least live with it after my memories of the Talon's 2.0 litre turbo grunt faded.
we drove a diesel smart car right before a 5spd yaris....yaris felt like it had a million hp
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #34
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
There is an old adage amongst motorcyclists that it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly. I think this applies to the Yaris as well, it is a great handling little car but not designed or powered for hard acceleration in a straight line.

Cheers! M2
I was just going to say, hey if you want to go fast just get a bike and be done with it. It's an inexpensive way to get your thrills. I absolutely enjoy when people in cars/trucks want to race my little sportster off the line. I almost can't believe people even try sometimes and I almost want to get a real sport bike just to see what it's really like ...

But I'd never trade the fuel efficiency and the quiet, comfortable, smooth, precise ride that the Yaris offers. Oh yeah, it puts that bike of mine to shame in corners too :)
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #35
QuantumIguana

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I do drive slower than I used to do, I used to routinely drive 90 mph on my 87 Chevy Sprint when I was on the interstate. I was always the first one out of the stoplight.

I'm happy with the performance of my Yaris so far. It has more acceleration than my 91 Civic had, which means that changing lanes in rush hour is easier. With the Civic, I would see an open spot, but often couldn't quite accelerate enough to take advantage of it. Plus, when I get on the freeway going home from work, the on-ramp goes uphill. My Civic really struggled with that.

With my Yaris, the lane changes are much easier, and going uphill with it is no problem. I didn't buy my Yaris for performance, I bought it based on price, gas mileage and reliability. But it performs to my satisfaction, I'm happier with it than I expected.

It feels big (I drive the sedan, haven't looked at the hatchback much). Maybe it's because the seat is higher than I am used to. I thought it would take a lot of getting used to, but I got used to it fast.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #36
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
If you want highway power like you never felt in you Yar before, try this oil filter combo:
M1 AFE 0w-30 and a BOSCH/Purolator filter with filtech media. Something about this combo puts the VVTI in the highway performance zone - feels like 20 more HP! IDK why but this combo is the POWER combo.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote