Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
before i picked the yaris i was seriously thinking about the kia soul. out of all the cars, price range between $20,000CD and 80,000CD, the top 2 were the soul and yaris. i liked the driving feel. and i got the yaris cuz of the bond with toyota. i see toyota as a family thats gonna be there for u. like the old corner store in your home town that will help u out. i personally see buying a toyota so much more then a car. and no i'm not a salesmen, i'm 18 and in school. i know my cars, i know what i want in a car, i know how i want a car to feel but when shit goes wrong (its going to, gas engines are the most problamatic and costly way of transportation) you want a dealer that will be there when it happens.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #20
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
as for resale, yes toyota is higher but still, an accent will last u about 8 years or 180xxxkm (aprox) a toyota will last at least 12 years or 500xxxkm, at least. so if the price difference is 2G, thats 500 a year...whats your finances gonna be like in 8 years, if u can afford it now, do it

this is what i needed to figure out, i worked my ass off since i was 14 so my first car could be paid for and brand new. i believe i made the right decision.

now on the other hand, if u can afford it, get an audi, lol. in my views its either toyota, audi, bmw or landrover....nothing else is worth it and right now toyota is the only one in my price range, lol
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Sounds like you really want the Accent. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect it to be a Toyota. You can pay now, or pay later; that's pretty much scripture. IMHO, the $2K price difference that you will finance-out over the life of the loan is a better deal than the likely-higher total you will pay in big chunks out-of-pocket or with a credit card at the repair shop after the warranty expires. Not sure what the Accent timing belt replacement costs, but I know that most vehicles run $500-700 in labor/parts, often more. Then there is the clutch, alternator, etc.
If you only plan to own it till something expensive breaks, its probably fine.
Actually there's no question: emotionally I really want the Yaris. But the frugal part of me tells me that if I get the Yaris, then I'm paying a few grand more for largely nonessential items or items I don't use (looks, AC, maybe a stereo). Plus the Accent has the longer warranty, for whatever that's worth. Also, I have enough cash to pay for either one (I'm in my mid 40's), but I work for a company that's not financially stable, so I could get laid off in 2010.

Choices, choices. Today I'm thinking to go with the Yaris but try to live very frugally otherwise!
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
rtom

One other thought ...

I wonder if there might be a difference in which car (Accent vs Yaris) would be easier to work on when it gets old? I have tools and some know-how after almost 9 years with a '97 Geo Metro, but the truly useful thing for a weekend wrencher like me is having a good community of fellow car owners for asking questions.

Don't know about difference between the 2 cars themselves, but I can see that the Yris forum seems both bigger and more mod-friendly than the Accent forum.

(Bow to Yaris modders, duck while Accent owners flame)
Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
I wonder if there might be a difference in which car (Accent vs Yaris) would be easier to work on when it gets old? I have tools and some know-how after almost 9 years with a '97 Geo Metro, but the truly useful thing for a weekend wrencher like me is having a good community of fellow car owners for asking questions.
That's another thing - brakes, filters, spark plugs, and pretty much everything maintenance related is 2 bolts on the yaris, and cheap
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Your're right that I am nuts -- I have a very high tolerance for heat and humidity, and a low tolerance for cold. So why the heck am I in Connecticut? Oh yes, I'm nuts.

Also, I am nutty frugal. I would never sell a functional vehicle -- I'll drive my next car into the dust. So resale value isn't really a consideration for me.
Haha, we have a lot in common.. My Yaris is the first car that I've ever driven regularly that has a functioning air conditioner.. All the other cars I've owned were 12+ years old with A/Cs that broke long before it ever made it into my hands..

Power windows, power locks, power mirrors, and air conditioning are all unnecessary fluff here up north.. Heating on the other hand can be very important as there was one time when I was driving an old Chevy and it was so cold my gloves were so frozen I couldn't grip the steering wheel so I took my gloves off and then my flesh started sticking to the steering wheel (freezing on contact).. Not cool...

That can be dangerous, so definitely having heating is important.

Air conditioning, definitely unnecessary up here in New York..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
rtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
Haha, we have a lot in common.. My Yaris is the first car that I've ever driven regularly that has a functioning air conditioner.. All the other cars I've owned were 12+ years old with A/Cs that broke long before it ever made it into my hands..

Power windows, power locks, power mirrors, and air conditioning are all unnecessary fluff here up north.. Heating on the other hand can be very important as there was one time when I was driving an old Chevy and it was so cold my gloves were so frozen I couldn't grip the steering wheel so I took my gloves off and then my flesh started sticking to the steering wheel (freezing on contact).. Not cool...

In Sept 1996 I moved to Salt Lake City from San Diego. I was driving a 1980 Corolla then, my first car, which I inherited in '92 or so. On the drive up I had two flats ... dumb kid I was, driving 80 mph on bald tires on superhot pavement!

Anyway, unfortunately the heater had stopped working in San Diego, so that first winter in SLC I had NO HEAT at all -- not fun there in winter!

Here's a toast to the future, less glamorous years of the Yaris!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
my wife and i looked at a kia rio when we were test driving. it was a great little car and felt really peppy.

i went with the yaris for aftermarket support since i like to mod. btw, i was living in fredericton, new brunswick, canada at the time, and our yaris doesnt have a/c either...i don't usually miss it now that im in southern ontario.

would have got a base model fit but there were 2 problems. 1. had to move up to an LX model (i think thats what it was) in order to get power mirrors (im 6' and my wife is 5'-3" so we need power mirrors) and 2. my wife didnt like the seat/pedal position in the fit.

so we bought a yaris (though the yaris felt like a ferrari after the diesel smart fortwo we drove 15min before the yaris, lol)
Old 01-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post

Air conditioning, definitely unnecessary up here in New York..
You guys make it sound like it's always winter up north.

For 3-4 months each year, it's 80's, 90's, and even over 100 degrees F with high humidity. And you're saying that AC is just fluff? Without it, I'd be soaked by the time I got to my destination.

AC and a radio are must have's. The only thing as bad as sitting in a rolling sauna is rolling in a dead quiet casket.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
Kal-El

Anyway, to the OP...

I would also recommend getting the bare bones Yaris. I assure you that in the long run, it is the more frugal choice. Since the cost factor seems to be you most important, getting the car that goes the longer distance keeps you from another new purchase sooner.

I'm saying this even as a supporter for Hyundai (although not enough to buy over Toyota). I know very well that they now build great cars. Something still tells me though that they won't stand the true test of time. Say 15-20 years of good transportation like Toyota's and Honda's.

As for the 100K warranty? Trust me, you won't need the warranty with the Yaris anyway. And remember, it's just engine and transmission covered which easily goes well past 100K on any car anyway (Hyundai isn't stupid).

The Yaris will serve you 300,000-500,000 miles without major expenses.

You'll probably need to replace the Hyundai after 200K.

Spend the extra few grand now.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You'll probably need to replace the Hyundai after 200K.
The three owners of hyundais I have known all got rid of them before 100k. Can you show something saying average hyundais make it to 200k?

edit: you yourself have said hyundais have only been "good" for 5 years tops, and with the average american driving 15k miles a year, I don't know how you are making any claims of reliability past 75k to 100k miles.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #30
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The three owners of hyundais I have known all got rid of them before 100k. Can you show something saying average hyundais make it to 200k?

edit: you yourself have said hyundais have only been "good" for 5 years tops, and with the average american driving 15k miles a year, I don't know how you are making any claims of reliability past 75k to 100k miles.
I'm just speculating. 200K may very well be optimistic. However, I've seen the last gen Elantra approach that and today's Hyundai's are a big improvement to that. It also depends on how that mileage is accumulated. Tons of highway driving? Easy. Mostly city? Probably die much sooner.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #31
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
yep even my 2003 focus at 99500 miles trouble free.
I had a real lemon Focus...

It was a 2000 Ford Focus Maunal Trans.
It was at 37,000k miles, and had a major problem with the cyclinders.... ford never recognized the problem and I had to pay over 5,000$ to fix it....

I now hate ford.
Yet.... I love the grand marquis which is similar to a ford.... most reliable car you will ever know besides a toyota.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #32
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
I now hate ford.
Yet.... I love the grand marquis which is similar to a ford.... most reliable car you will ever know besides a toyota.
It is a Ford. I imagine you know that.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #33
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Its on my list for the next car down the line.

Thanks for the heads up. I like the trunk space and room inside i must admit is

a tad better than our YARIS.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #34
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
The only other car I've been considering (in addition to the 3-door manual LB Yaris) is the new base trim level of the Hyundai Accent, called "Blue". This car is supposed to get pretty much exactly the same gas mileage as the Yaris I'm looking at, and it does come with the Hyundai long warranty. It's also several thousand dollars cheaper, partly because it lacks AC and a stereo. It's also not as cute as the Yaris, and probably not as safe, especially in collisions from the side. However, since I am (1) very frugal, (2) primarily interested in a car as just basic reliable transportation, and (3) never use AC here in New England, I've had a hard time ruling out the Accent Blue completely. I could always add an aftermarket stereo to the Accent Blue.

Just wondering if any other frugalistas have been running the same calculations through their heads.
AC and stereo are no big deal to me. You can very easily add an aftermarket stereo (you will find something better AND cheaper than the factory issue). As to AC, I barely use AC out here (when it's really, really hot, the little Yaris' s AC doesn't work that well anyway IMO, so I just open the windows). So that wouldn't influence my purchase. I've driven cars that were so barebone, I'm used to it now.

But I'm old school, and for me the choice was between Honda and Toyota. I briefly considered the little Ford because it's the right size, the style is right and it was cheaper, but in the end, I went with what I felt was a "sure thing".

Things are changing, though, so next time I buy a car, I will reevaluate.
Meanwhile, the Yaris is serving me right, starts every day like clockwork, hasn't caused me any grief (knock on wood) ... you gotta love that in a car!

sorry I can't be more helpful with your decision. What I can tell you is that you take a chance whenever you get a new car. So, just make a list of things you like better or must have in a car (for me it was manual tranny, hatchback, not a white car, no less than 28 mpg, excellent reliability, and the rest was optional) , so make your list, factor in the cost to own, warranties, gas mileage etc., and see what makes sense for you.

If in the end you don't get a Yaris, that's OK, you can still hang with us anyway
If you get a Yaris, you'll understand why we're all so proud of it (it's the little engine that can! or if it can't, thrown in a couple of mods ;)

Last edited by tomato; 01-04-2010 at 03:55 AM. Reason: typos
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
rtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
If in the end you don't get a Yaris, that's OK, you can still hang with us anyway
If you get a Yaris, you'll understand why we're all so proud of it (it's the little engine that can! or if it can't, thrown in a couple of mods ;)
Hiya tomato,

I did get a 3-door LB Yaris just before Christmas, and my first 2 tankfuls I'm getting 42 mpg overall. So far I'm a happy Yarisman. Thanks for the advice!