Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Magnaflow catback?
Yes! 20 48.78%
Yes, but I'd rather see a center exit! 14 34.15%
Maybe 4 9.76%
No 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
ARE YOU INTERESTED: Magnaflow Catback

I know this market is thirsty for a true catback exhaust.

Twisted Innovations had a chance to look at my Liftback today and the first thing they noticed was the exhaust piping diameter. This would be a wonderful place to start freeing up your poor, restricted 1NZ-FE.

TI can make a complete welded exhaust for the Yaris including Magnaflow high-flow cats and mufflers for a decent price. I think the symmetry of the car screams for a center exit, and they assured me that the best way to accomplish this would be to transversely mount a muffler in the rear of the car much like a Porsche exhaust. I thought it sounded neat.

Otherwise, making an exhaust that uses the stock location would be easy. Maybe we can get them to do both.

Apparently Magnaflow already has everything needed for the project made and ready to ship. All they would need to do is bend the necessary piping, deal with the sensors and weld her all together. The nice thing is that everything needed to complete the project is on-site, including a dyno, so you'd know what kind of gains to expect beforehand.

They are going to make a decision on whether or not to make this piece based on this thread, so please give your opinion even if you don't want it! At least vote, but a post is preferable. If 5 people say they would buy one for sure, it is pretty much a done deal. Thanks guys!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
I'll when I get money...
=/

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
The Center Exit is important to me... I think I have expressed that in multiple other posts, but the most important is the Sound! The last thing I want is to Chauffeur bees around town... If you know what I mean. I also don't want to wake up my Cranky ass, old as hell, neighbors either... But I want a solid Growl out of her! So before I can yes or no, I would have to see it and hear it! But I do agree on the symmetry aspect!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
So your saying this exhaust would include cats? Or would it be a catback like the title suggests?

I think having a rough price estimate would help people decide.

Also, center exit is cool if it doesn't stick out too much. Just dual 3" tips.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
i already have a magnaflow muffler, but only on the stock piping.

what sort of gain will this yield, and what sort of cost are we looking at?
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
well no one can really tell what gain is going to be had, until a dyno is run

but depending on price and time - I would def be in for it.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
I would also like something for the sedan, but not a a straight through design muffler..
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
I'm all for the center exhaust. Just a matter of time and money for me to outfit my car. Also depends on price when it's released.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids
The Center Exit is important to me... I think I have expressed that in multiple other posts, but the most important is the Sound! The last thing I want is to Chauffeur bees around town... If you know what I mean. I also don't want to wake up my Cranky ass, old as hell, neighbors either... But I want a solid Growl out of her! So before I can yes or no, I would have to see it and hear it! But I do agree on the symmetry aspect!
Being a Magnaflow exhaust, I wouldn't expect anything buzzy. It should be low, grumbly, and loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill
So your saying this exhaust would include cats? Or would it be a catback like the title suggests?

I think having a rough price estimate would help people decide.

Also, center exit is cool if it doesn't stick out too much. Just dual 3" tips.
This exhaust would include Magnaflow high-flow cats. It would replace the stock midpipe and axle-back exhaust with a more straight through design. We agreed 2.25" piping would probably be fine, even for forced induction applications with moderate boost.

The price would be right around the $500 range. Considering the Tanabe axlebacks are going for 60% of that, I think this is a very viable alternative.

We are expecting 10 HP with the Megan header and this exhaust. Who knows what it will actually be, but the header netted 3 or so so 7 HP from this exhaust doesn't seem too far fetched.

For the center exit we would probably do dual angled tips.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Being a Magnaflow exhaust, I wouldn't expect anything buzzy. It should be low, grumbly, and loud.

This exhaust would include Magnaflow high-flow cats. It would replace the stock midpipe and axle-back exhaust with a more straight through design. We agreed 2.25" piping would probably be fine, even for forced induction applications with moderate boost.

The price would be right around the $500 range. Considering the Tanabe axlebacks are going for 60% of that, I think this is a very viable alternative.

We are expecting 10 HP with the Megan header and this exhaust. Who knows what it will actually be, but the header netted 3 or so so 7 HP from this exhaust doesn't seem too far fetched.

For the center exit we would probably do dual angled tips.

Center Exit… Low, grumble, and loud... Now that sounds alright to me... $500 price range for a high flow cat, mid-pipe and Axel-back... I said, God Damn, that’s what I'm talking about... F%#$ TRD Almost $400 for a Muffler!

Magnaflow... You have officially perked my interest! (I got a little bit of a stiffy over here)

My only question is about the dual angled tips… Got a pic for me to get a better idea what were looking at????

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
esquiva
Noypi ako!

Drives: 07 S Sedan 5-Speed M/T
yes...we need something for the sedan

Nene jr.: tay, peram naman ng kotse o...
Boy Bastos: sige pero isang kondisyon. mag-ano muna tayo.
Nene jr.: tay meron ako ngayon e. blowjob na lang kita.
Boy bastos: o sige.
pagkatapos ng blowjob...
Nene jr.: tay, bat lasang tae yung etits nyo?
Boy bastos: ah ganon ba? hiniram kasi ng kuya
mo kanina yung kotse e!
esquiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I wonder how restrictive the stock exhaust is? Manufacturers usually go to great lengths to quiet the car down and they employ gigantic mufflers and resonators.

I bet a mid-long tube header with hi-flow cats would make the most noticeable gains in power and MPG. Once again it comes down to cost. Who is willing to spend over $1,000 for 10HP on a $13k car?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
Magnaflow... You have officially perked my interest!
Technically, this would be a Twisted Innovations product... using Magnaflow cats, mufflers and tips... so yeah, don't get confused there. For all intents and purposes, though, its a Magnaflow exhaust. I can only call it that until it is built, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
My only question is about the dual angled tips… Got a pic for me to get a better idea what were looking at????
Something similar to the dual DTM round tips on the following page, although we have a lot more options than what Magnaflow's site offers. Basically the tips would angle up towards the liscence plate in the center. Otherwise there would be a small gap between the bumper and the tips.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=281

Also notice that tip alone sells for almost $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill
I wonder how restrictive the stock exhaust is? Manufacturers usually go to great lengths to quiet the car down and they employ gigantic mufflers and resonators.
The stock exhaust piping is literally the width of my thumb at some points. It gets no more restrictive. I'll never forget pulling the stock header out of the engine bay. I've heard many a gearhead tell me they have never seen piping that thin.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
This option sounds great... Never the less I don't understand why this companies are offering none developed stuff for our cars. I mean the right way to do this should be that they gave a special deal to ChinoCharles (the guinea pig) and Then... after the exhaust is developed and TESTED, a Group buy will be in order...

If they are confident about the product that they are putting together this should not be a problem. Also I think that real numbers are the best way to sale any performance related part...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
i love the sound from magnaflow mufflers, I have cut and replaced the same stainless dtm onto two different vehicles and when I can will put it on the Yaris. I highly recommend whatever they got.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
do they have anything for the XA/XB?

products that work on them, will of course work on the yaris :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Those tips look amazing. My only question is: will the muffler be visible from the rear or just the tips?
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Just the tips. The muffler will be tucked back a bit, about even with the rear tires.