Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Gauge Install Q's

Just ordered my glowshift gauges today and I'm hoping to do them this weekend if I can get down to the border to pick them up in time.

I ordered the following:
Oil temp, oil pressure both electrical) and vacuum gauge (mechanical). I got a universal tri swivel pod mount so I can install them in front of my eyesight just behind the steering wheel at a good angle. The gauges are all 52mm and are 7 color with a black background. My plan it to run them on the white color to match the dash of my '08 Yaris.

I've been reading this past gauge DIY http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15233 and it lays everything out well but I have a few Q's to help my install go as smoothly as possible. I'm not new to auto wiring but the more info I have the better.

1. I will be using 2 add a fuse circuits for my constant 12vDC and the switched 12vDC. I will be following the DIY I linked to above but does anyone know what fuse give you switched power and what gives you constant? It was left out and never updated in the DIY. The fuses are Panel 1 and MET but I'm not sure which one is switched and which one is constant.

2. Glowshift gauges have an orange wire that can be (optional) wired to a (+) dashlight wire so that the gauges dim by 30% so they aren't too bright at night. I'd like to use this feature but I'm not sure which wire is a dash lighting positive that i can tap into?

3. Does anyone know of a good spot to go through the fire wall so that i can avoid drilling through it? I'll have 2 wires and one thin tubing (vacuum) to get through the fire wall.

I'll be using hooking the gauges up like a daisey chain and grounding them to the kick panel. I'll be grounding the senders in the engine bay and I'll wrap the wires up in slit tubing to protect it. I also already ordered a sandwich adapter from MicoImage.

I already have grounds running to both ground points (kickpanel and engine bay) from my HID and Keyless entry install. I planned on tapping into those grounds for my gauges to keep the install cleaner. Does anyone see any issue with running my grounds this way?

Any help is appreciated before I do this install.