Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hahaha, I'm the other way around. hehehe. But that's because of what my friend tells me about his RX-8.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #20
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Only bad thing about them...They are not contemporary to work on, but down here in FL. Rotary is a big thing, I can find at least 3 expert mechs that are used to building 13B motors all day long. Plus I just like the styling a whole lot better.

But in a perfect world, if I was going to mod another car to death, I would get a 350Z
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Only bad thing about them...They are not contemporary to work on, but down here in FL. Rotary is a big thing, I can find at least 3 expert mechs that are used to building 13B motors all day long. Plus I just like the styling a whole lot better.

But in a perfect world, if I was going to mod another car to death, I would get a 350Z
That's cool (about your area).

I'd still get a Hachi for my (more realistic) dream car.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #22
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Never underestimate the econoboxes. LOL: http://www.modernfeed.com/watchnow/1944/
I suddenly have a strong desire to make a mid engine turbo Yaris...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #23
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Someone is bound to do it eventually, Either a 2JZ or a 3GSTE would be an awesome rear wheel transplant.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #24
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
^Like the 2JZ idea.

I know this is gonna sound like the dumbest thing in the world, but maybe the next Y should have a longer front end to accommodate it for a RWD setup? It would make for a nice little power hatch, like the GTi minus FWD

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #25
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Lol, wont happen... we can dream in a perfect world.

Toyota is pretty much done building anything with balls, until they purposely revive the Celica, Supra, or finally give the TC something to brag about.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
^Like the 2JZ idea.

I know this is gonna sound like the dumbest thing in the world, but maybe the next Y should have a longer front end to accommodate it for a RWD setup? It would make for a nice little power hatch, like the GTi minus FWD
I don't see it happening... It's considered an economy class car still and for a major change like that, they would most likely make a whole different car...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

There is a RWD built Yaris on this forum. Forgot their name.

http://www.mospeed.com/yaris/
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Quote:
Even thought about getting a Mazda, either the Mazdaspeed 3 or the Miata Mazdaspeed edition
I obviously have the MS3 and my Dad still has his '06 Yaris. I love every minute of driving the MS3. When I get back in the Yaris I am bored to death, I have to full throttle it every light just to get to my average acceleration speed in the MS3. Also feels like the Yaris handles like a shopping cart now, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

With the MS3 my maintenance costs are the exact same as a regular Mazda 3, just uses 1qt more oil every change and the exact same filter. Stock tire size is way overpriced so when I had to replace my summers I got a better cheaper size and new rims. I went from 215/45R18 to 235/40R18. Mileage is pretty good too, I'd get about 7.8L/100km highway and 10L/100km city when I was still stock. Now that I'm tuned for 23psi peak, I don't get quite that good of mileage haha.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #29
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
keep the yaris and buy another car

i have the yaris for a daily and the MR2 for fun

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #30
schreck

Drives: 2009
Pass on the Mazda

Just traded in my Mazda3 and I can tell you the fun I've had with it (pun intended):

*High insurance. I traded my 07 3 for an 09 Yaris and my insurance went down!
*Electric windows went bad just as warranty expired. Guess what, a $600 repair.
*Horrible paint longevity. Faded out within the first 2 years and no wax in the world would help much.
*With anti-sway bar under the hood, had no access to the battery (which is up against the firewall instead of closer to the front). Not only that, but the battery required its own air snorkel which, in turn, interfered with accessing the air filter.
*Front end never stayed aligned after the first couple years indicating a suspension problem (the tires were replaced and rotated).

If you have a dependable vehicle in the Yaris, keep it. I have no doubt that gas is on its way back up!
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
fat like reflexes

Drives: 07 manual liftback
re: s2000 vs rx8

IMO the rx8 is just about the best-looking recent japanese car (not saying much, perhaps) but it traps at less than 100 mph and gets less than 20 mpg.
fat like reflexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #32
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
My biggest reason for getting the Yaris was to downsize my fuel consumption. I still like the Yaris. Here is the simplist concept behind my problem. The only thing that I dont like about my Yaris is, that its missing 60HP, lol.
I don't understand your sentiment that there is "missing" horsepower. Has your car ever failed to get where you needed to go? How can a car that hauls hundreds of pounds of people and gear up mountain roads possibly need more power than what it has?

The horsepower desire is something you have fabricated in your own mind, meaning it isn't real. You simply don't need it. You are getting by just fine with what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
hmmm, depends. It would actually be some what practical for me to get an Evo or a Suby since I go snowboarding and camping a lot. I can do the latter with my Vios, but not the first.
I'm curious... how can you not go snowboarding with your Yaris? I know you can't fit a snowboard in your trunk but you can fit it diagonally in the back seat, or get a trailer hitch and bike rack with the snow sports attachment like I use on my LB when I need the back seat for passengers. Additionally, if you can't fit snowboarding stuff in your Yaris what makes you think it would fit any better in an Evo or WRX?

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #33
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Some people like the excitement of driving a car with more power, and some people use their car solely for A to B transportation and likes to do so with as little associated cost as possible. Just because someone thinks or feels a different way about their vehicle than you does not make their opinion wrong.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #34
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
My biggest reason for getting the Yaris was to downsize my fuel consumption. I still like the Yaris. Here is the simplist concept behind my problem. The only thing that I dont like about my Yaris is, that its missing 60HP, lol.

In a way it may be cheaper in the long run to just turbocharge mine. lmao
Maybe rent a muscle car for the week and get it out of your system. I'm down 300+ hp from my last car, a modded '05 GTO, and I'm just as happy with what my Yaris is doing for me now. I was pretty burned out on muscle cars by the time I bought my GTO (at least the 11th I've owned), so maybe I'm happier with the HP downgrade than most. And agreed on the statement about Toyota denutting itself...should have gotten the Celica GT instead of the GTO, probably would still be driving it. Toyota is about the only company that has it's tail between its legs right now.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhope34 View Post
Some people like the excitement of driving a car with more power, and some people use their car solely for A to B transportation and likes to do so with as little associated cost as possible. Just because someone thinks or feels a different way about their vehicle than you does not make their opinion wrong.
I merely pointed out that he doesn't need more horsepower. There is a tremendous gap between need and want.

If I offended you perhaps you should look into why discussions of over-consumption bother you.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I merely pointed out that he doesn't need more horsepower. There is a tremendous gap between need and want.
Yeah, you do, sometimes, and not just for fun:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
To answer your question honestly (hold your flames everybody ): because while I think the Yaris is a good little car overall (wouldn't have bought it otherwise), I think in the long term I'd feel more comfortable with a car that has just a tiny little bit more power under the hood.

Not that I'm drag racing or driving like a jack rabbit or anything, but in certain driving situations (like trying to merge in and out of a busy freeway or change lanes when @$$holes in far more powerful cars won't let you, or trying to get out of the way FAST if you have to for whatever reason) the Yaris lacks the acceleration necessary to do it and it makes me feel somewhat vulnerable on the road.

If I still lived out in a rural area, I wouldn't even think about another car right now because in my opinion, the Yaris is ideal for driving on backroads, but for this area with crazy freeways with merging lanes and all that other city driving non-sense, I don't know, I sometimes feel that the Yaris is a little borderline

So anyway, that's why I'm keeping an open mind about trading for other similar cars that may show up on the market.
Now the idea of renting a more powerful car over the week-end is a really good one.