Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #235
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
The chip swap was working fine for me... no CEL or oscillation... until I had to disconnect the battery to swap the steering wheel. Once I reconnected, oscillation & CELs galore.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #236
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
What codes are showing up?

Just saying you have a CEL is kind of worthless unless we know what the code is. It could be just a case of needing to adjust the idle set screw, or a number of other things.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #237
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
What codes are showing up?

Just saying you have a CEL is kind of worthless unless we know what the code is. It could be just a case of needing to adjust the idle set screw, or a number of other things.
P0505- Idle Malfunction
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #238
jkuchta

Have you adjusted the idle screw? If you've turned the screw out too far you could get this code...try turning the screw in one or two turns (with the car off). This should fix the problem.

If you haven't adjusted the idle set screw, turn it counter-clockwise 1.5 turns (with the engine off), and see what happens.

Last edited by jkuchta; 05-21-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #239
MGargano

Quote:
Have you adjusted the idle screw? If you've turned the screw out too far you could get this code...try turning the screw in one or two turns (with the car off). This should fix the problem.

If you haven't adjusted the idle set screw, turn it counter-clockwise 1.5 turns (with the engine off), and see what happens.
I haven't touched the idle screw at all. The thing was working perfectly for over a month, right up until I disconnected the battery. I'm not going through this every time I disconnect the battery... plus, even when it's working perfectly, the high idle is now quite loud with the exhaust I have. I'm 99% I'm switching back to the stocker today.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #240
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
any one has a DYI on how to install the TB? I am looking through tha manuall and drawing a blank. Do i need anything special?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #241
jkuchta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
I haven't touched the idle screw at all. The thing was working perfectly for over a month, right up until I disconnected the battery. I'm not going through this every time I disconnect the battery... plus, even when it's working perfectly, the high idle is now quite loud with the exhaust I have. I'm 99% I'm switching back to the stocker today.
If you turn the idle set screw out about a turn and a half, all of your problems will go away.

When you leave the screw is the "corolla" position, the yaris ECU adjusts the idle fuel to get a stable idle. This takes time, as the ECU needs to make some pretty big changes. When you adjust the idle set screw to the correct position, the ECU doesn't have to work nearly as hard to get a normal idle, so the ECU doesn't freak out.

The idle rpm fluctuations are a result of the ECU hunting for the right fueling to maintain a steady 600-700 rpm idle in the face of way too much air going through an unadjusted corolla TB.

The P0505 code is the ECU saying..."WTF!!...Why can't I idle at the fuel trims I'm programmed with...something must be wrong!!"
Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #242
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
CEL was gone. Car completely died and wouldn't even idle. Start it up and it woul ddie instantly. I used the original gasket plus gasket maker, I did the coolant bypass, I did the chip swap. I did everything it just didn't work out for me
i would say come over and we can try it again and i can follow you and swap it back if it f's up again

thats if you still have it

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #243
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
any one has a DYI on how to install the TB? I am looking through tha manuall and drawing a blank. Do i need anything special?
If you search, you will find it. there have been like 3
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #244
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
If you search, you will find it. there have been like 3
thx it wasnt too hard so i didnt need the diy. Didnt do the chip swap gonna see what other means there are to eliminate the cel if i get any.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #245
jkuchta

Quote:
thx it wasnt too hard so i didnt need the diy. Didnt do the chip swap gonna see what other means there are to eliminate the cel if i get any.
If you adjust the idle set screw you might be ok.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #246
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Did you get the oscillation? thats what the chip swap was originally indended to fix
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #247
Yoda

Quote:
If you adjust the idle set screw you might be ok.
adjust it to were? sry total noob at this. dont even kno where the darn thing is
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #248
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
adjust it to were? sry total noob at this. dont even kno where the darn thing is
ok sorry its this one like he said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010183.jpg (17.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by marcus; 05-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #249
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
there
clockwise? anticlockwise? how much of a turn?
o and is it an actual screw cause there is none...
Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #250
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
there
That's not the idle screw. It's this one (covered in epoxy here):

You'll need a small allen wrench to turn it BTW. As far as CW/CCW, I can't remember... I believe I ended up turning it CW almost all the way.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #251
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
That's not the idle screw. It's this one (covered in epoxy here):

You'll need a small allen wrench to turn it BTW. As far as CW/CCW, I can't remember... I believe I ended up turning it CW almost all the way.
ok kwel i will try it as is now then adjust later the rain lifted up sp let me finish installing it. It was hard as heck to get the afe coupler over the TB had to shave some off.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #252
Yoda

so yea i installed it right. i was doing the whole coolant overflow thing and well it didnt. I waited for like 5 min and no overflow so i was like ok. No oscillation just high cold and when its warm it setlles at a high of 1100rpm and a CEL Againg i said ok. Before i went to disconnect the battery i tried stepping on the throttle. This event was followed bu very very very slow climb in rpm. Again ok... So i floored it Not a good idea didnt make a diff at all the car started shaking and i quickly turned it off. So yea the battery is disconnected and i will wait a ahwile before i see wat is up. Any ideas lol?