Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
wow, you brought back an oldie... I think everyone knows by now the car needs a bit more pep for it's gearing and a better clutch... well imo it does.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post
My plan is to burn up the stock clutch, and switch over to something aftermarket and more durable...
I did just that and switched to an ACT Stage 1 clutch... couldn't be happier
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
how was the install on the clutch? I've never replaced a clutch on a trans-axle before.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
Bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
Don't blame yourself, I've driven 100+ different manaul tranny cars with never a problem, including many many supercars with stiff, low, grabby clutches. And with that said, the Yaris is by FAR the worst clutch, throttle response combo. That's the problem, the lame ass DBW has no throttle response, and it CHANGES. It's never the same, the car has no tach so I cannot see where I'm starting from rpm wise, it has a quiet motor, so with the music on, I can't hear it enough to start smooth, the motor likes to bog on its own (frustrating), and the clutch is floppy, and light, and all too easy to burn on a hill.

If I could snap my fingers and have something differnet about the car, I'd take traditional throttle cable, a stiffer clutch, and a tach. I'm working on the tach thing, and someday I'm throwing this 1nz motor in a river and putting in 00 Celica GTS motor, fuk it.
I put in a Afe cold air intake and it transformed it into a different car..its much more powerful...your car is starving for more air like mine was..if your bogging down..you either are not cleaning the injectors on a regular basis or using cheap gas...mine runs best on sunoco 91.. or your catylitic converter is getting clogged.. ...mine is really fast now and still gets 40+ MPG.. good luck
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #23
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
how was the install on the clutch? I've never replaced a clutch on a trans-axle before.
You would have to ask my local Toyota technician for that... I don't trust myself to do that on my own yet.

What I can tell you is that even the stage 1 clutch has a lot more bite than OEM, and you will need to get used to it. But once you do, it feels awesome and can sure take a beating.