Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #37
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Just the occasional wobbling on windy days. Nothing drop springs and a sway bar can't fix.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Just the occasional wobbling on windy days. Nothing drop springs and a sway bar can't fix.
true.. I'm always amazed how bad the side profile aerodynamics are. I probably would have sold the yaris if it weren't for the sway bar by now, and I still can't wait to drop it on a windy day.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #39
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
true.. I'm always amazed how bad the side profile aerodynamics are. I probably would have sold the yaris if it weren't for the sway bar by now, and I still can't wait to drop it on a windy day.
Exactly. IMO a sway bar (at least 19mm) should be standard on all Yarii, not really for performance but for safety. It just seems too easy to tail-out just at the flick of the steering wheel.

Case in point: Some slow jack-off in an SUV pulled right in front of me from a driveway this morning. I locked-up and avoided the crash at the expense of the rear-end trying to swing around. If I didn't countersteer I would've definitely gotten sideways and jumped the curb. Yeah I think I'll be getting that sway bar on my next payday. The springs are another must-have, but they can wait a while.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #40
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
TRD springs, shocks and swaybar: I liked the car before, still crazy about it 25,000 after putting them on. The sway bar is only a buck and a quarter, and I recommend it strongly.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #41
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
TRD springs, shocks and swaybar: I liked the car before, still crazy about it 25,000 after putting them on. The sway bar is only a buck and a quarter, and I recommend it strongly.
Ditto. 20 min install max and worth every penny. I love driving the crap out of my 105 HP "sports car" now.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #42
monchito18

Drives: Yaris sedan
Send a message via MSN to monchito18
only regret is.... I should had picked mine STD and not AUTO lol but I like it anyways :D
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #43
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
I'm in the same situation. Luckily for me, the Auto Show is opening this Friday, so I'll be able to sit in all the cars I'm interested in, without the pressure of a sales person, and get a feel of the cars so I can narrow the field for test driving.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #44
advocate

Drives: car
My only regret is that the xD is a 1.8L and therefore probably a lot more fun to drive.

Also +6 for the sway bar and drop spings so as to not get blown over on a bridge, etc.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
My only regret is that the xD is a 1.8L and therefore probably a lot more fun to drive.

Also +6 for the sway bar and drop spings so as to not get blown over on a bridge, etc.
y'all are so overstating this. The car is not that unstable in wind. try driving a conversion van...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #46
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
y'all are so overstating this. The car is not that unstable in wind. try driving a conversion van...
I agree; this is often overstated around here. Many cars, and especially SUV's, are less stable in wind. I wonder if any prospective buyers who do not want to have to do any mods have been scared away by reading some of these posts.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #47
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I have no problem with the way my Yaris Sedan handles in corners or in a cross wind.

I don't try to take corners like I had a sports car, though, I will admit.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #48
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
I agree; this is often overstated around here. Many cars, and especially SUV's, are less stable in wind. I wonder if any prospective buyers who do not want to have to do any mods have been scared away by reading some of these posts.
I really think the Yaris 's handling in the wind is worth mentioning, so people are prepared. Then again, I live on the coast, where the wind can be, ahem...

As far as scaring away prospective buyers, I don't know about that. I read mediocre reviews of the Toyota Yaris and still decided to take a chance because it looked like I could live with the negative and the positive elements far outweigh the negative

Also don't forget, we are also a consumer group and our feedback through forums like this one is invaluable information for Toyota and other auto manufacturers. There is no doubt in my mind that their marketing people at the very least pay attention to consumer feedback through boards like this one.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #49
eht13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I really think the Yaris 's handling in the wind is worth mentioning, so people are prepared. Then again, I live on the coast, where the wind can be, ahem...

As far as scaring away prospective buyers, I don't know about that. I read mediocre reviews of the Toyota Yaris and still decided to take a chance because it looked like I could live with the negative and the positive elements far outweigh the negative

Also don't forget, we are also a consumer group and our feedback through forums like this one is invaluable information for Toyota and other auto manufacturers. There is no doubt in my mind that their marketing people at the very least pay attention to consumer feedback through boards like this one.
But that's just it; I don't think the handling in the wind is as bad as people make it out to be, unless the hatchback is far worse than the sedan, which I doubt. To read some of these posts, you'd get the impression that the car is just unsafe without a rear swaybar.

Regarding mediocre reviews of the Yaris not scaring us away; well, true, but we are here so we obviously bought it anyway. There are surely readers of those websites and magazines who did put more stock in what they were reading and chose to buy something else. Their loss, in my opinion, but it is still a case of incomplete information leading people to make not-totally-informed buying decisions. Just yesterday, I read a new car review magazine with another mediocre review of the Yaris, where the author did not seem to be able to actually point out what they didn't like about the car, just that they didn't really like it... despite the great reliability and fuel economy that they acknowledged that it had. I just shook my head. I especially like the ones that criticize the driving/handling, but who may very well have not actually driven it, and just based what they wrote on assumptions.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #50
tomato
Super Moderator

Well, you can't compare the Yaris to a Lamborghini! I think those people writing reviews make comparisons reviews between the Yaris and other cars not necessarily in its category, so of course if you compare an entry level vehicle to a more sophisticated vehicle, then the Yaris will look lightweight.

Even the mediocre reviews said that the Yaris years 2006 and after was mechanically extremely reliable, so that was the selling point for me.

PS. Yes, I drive the hatchback, and I was planning on adding a rear bar at some point but it seems I have adapted to the body roll so we'll see.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #51
eht13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Well, you can't compare the Yaris to a Lamborghini! I think those people writing reviews make comparisons reviews between the Yaris and other cars not necessarily in its category, so of course if you compare an entry level vehicle to a more sophisticated vehicle, then the Yaris will look lightweight.
That was kind of my point. Doing that is poor reviewing. Except that they often say the Fit is great (within the same category), again often without giving real reasons why it is really any better.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #52
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I drive a liftback too. I use to live right on the east coast, and drove through some pretty crazy weather, and the winds didn't seem to bother me.

It could depend on what you are coming from. Or that the winds on the san francisco bay are unique, as a good majority of the people with the wind complaints seem to hail from there.

Car reviews are extremely biased. You need to read through the reviewers biases to get to the real info nowadays. Its kind of sad.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #53
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
no regrets.. just easy on the upgrades..

rims and tires makes big difference on acceleration and mpg 3 lbs each corner extra is a noticeable difference..maybe trading my new rims for a lighter ones. cone filter and axleback is good enuff then go light wheels..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #54
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It could depend on what you are coming from. Or that the winds on the san francisco bay are unique, as a good majority of the people with the wind complaints seem to hail from there.
I'm sure that's true about what you're coming from.

I can handle the wind on the road just fine, but when you're several hundred feet high up on some of the suspended bridges of the Bay Area, and it's starts blowing like crazy, that's a different story and I'm not all that sure of myself anymore.

(to be honest, the wind here can get pretty intense)

Anyway, wind or no wind, still no regrets. Car is fine for my purposes 95% of the time, which is pretty damn good.