Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I remember reading an article about this several years ago, and, if I remember correctly, fitta is slang for the, um, female genitalia. Hence the name was changed, and the car is called the Jazz in Europe.

Anyway, I think the new Fit is a gorgeous car based on the photos. Kinda disappointing, however, to hear that it's being built in Mexico. I'm presuming production is being moved there due to the poor exchange rate of the Japanese Yen? It would be nice if Honda instead built the car in one of their plants here in Ohio, but I guess given the low price point of subcompacts, it wouldn't be price effective.
Yarisugi must have read the same article you did .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Not this FUD again, please... The topic has been discussed (and debunked) ad-nauseam here and elsewhere. Car manufacturing standards are the same no matter where you happen to build them. Manufacturing plants are almost, if not completely, automated these days. It makes no sense to blame people of a certain country over the quality of a car (at least not anymore). Was this the case 20 or even 10 years ago? No. But things have certainly improved since then, and will continue to do so.

The issues regarding quality aside (which I generally agree with you on. My sister's Nissan Sentra was built in Mexico, and it's given her no problems whatsoever), one thing I've wondered is, why are car manufacturers expanding in Mexico? Yes, the labor's cheap, but there's so much corruption south of the border. And I won't even go into the problems with the drug cartels. The article like the one you linked to above doesn't even mention that. Seems like the last place in the world a manufacturer would want to invest hundreds of millions of dollars.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #39
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
The issues regarding quality aside (which I generally agree with you on. My sister's Nissan Sentra was built in Mexico, and it's given her no problems whatsoever), one thing I've wondered is, why are car manufacturers expanding in Mexico? Yes, the labor's cheap, but there's so much corruption south of the border. And I won't even go into the problems with the drug cartels. The article like the one you linked to above doesn't even mention that. Seems like the last place in the world a manufacturer would want to invest hundreds of millions of dollars.
I guess the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

I wouldn't want to hijack this thread any longer... suffice to say that there's a lot of layers to decisions such as this. But one thing's for sure: If you want your cars to be less expensive, this is the only way to do it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
While living in Texas, I am so close to Mexico right?
Since I've been to Mexico multiple times I can honestly tell you..

I'd never buy a car that has a VIN from Mexico.
I think funding their corruption, Creating more means for them to commit crimes, and financially backing a country that is so volatile, It's not something I want to do.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #41
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Being that I'm from Mexico and have lived here almost all my life, I would say I'm closer than you are, right?

Since I've been in Mexico more times (and likely to more regions) than you, I can honestly tell you...

The statement that you made above is not only pretty ignorant (and slightly offensive if you think about it), it's also completely off-topic, as I said before. I will gladly carry on discussing this subject if you want, but please let's do it in a more appropriate thread. Thanks.

PS: You're free to do with your money as you please. That's usually the best way to exercise democracy. Even words can get in the way sometimes.

Last edited by tk-421; 08-15-2013 at 03:43 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote