Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
ah, lol.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
ah, lol.
Don't worry. I believe you should take off both cats.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #21
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I might, no inspections where I live.

The hose came off again, resulting in poor idle and a CEL. Going to trim the coupler tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
So, am I to understand, with the Corolla 1ZZ TB, you can just toss that on in place of the 1NZ TB with no further modifications? Or is it a good idea to have a better header on there first? I'm going to a salvage yard this week or next and would like to see if I can track one down if that's the case.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
im curious what happen next on astros tb..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #24
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
So, am I to understand, with the Corolla 1ZZ TB, you can just toss that on in place of the 1NZ TB with no further modifications? Or is it a good idea to have a better header on there first? I'm going to a salvage yard this week or next and would like to see if I can track one down if that's the case.
some people have problems with it, so they end up doing the chip swap from the 1nz to the 1zz TB. Even then (like my experience), some people still have problems. Could be a bad TB, since most are bought used from ebay.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #25
Astroman
Modded Moderator

From what I've read here, it seems to be the TB with the US part no., the japanese part seems to work better.

On a interesting note, my '05 corolla TB I purchased from Functionspec had a odd part number (#22030-0D030). There was a thread on here on how to do it but the OP deleted his posts. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14672

So far the only time the car runs like crap at low RPM and throws a CEL seems to be when one of the hoses that hooks up to my intake falls off because the new coupler is almost an inch longer than the stock one. I'm going to trim it down today which should get rid of the problem. If I can find my digital camera I'll take a movie of just how it sounds, as it changed a LOT. Sounds really really good now, and I'm still stock after the header.

I haven't done the chip swap or adjusted the idle, will give it some time as the TB was only installed yesterday.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
I love to see a dyno sheet from a YW member that shows any improvement with a larger TB on this car with stock cams, inlet manifold and head. Laws of physics say NO improvement is to be had. And I mean back to back, same temps and fuel. Some days my car makes what feels like 10 more hp than other days - usually due to barometric pressure and temps, so you will alway have that variability in the mix. AGAin the power is ALL TO BE HAD in the cam phasing (vvti) with stock cams, ONCE YOU UNCORK THE EXHAUST AND HAVE A GOOD cai. yES i AM A DOUBTER.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
PETERPOOP

supossedly Yoda? has a dyno that shows 3whp improvement, i think. however, that dyno was probably done on a different day with different weather conditions. so who really knows? hehe

edit: post #11 of this thread..
Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
my run was not on the same day. i am going catless next week so i will put that dyno up. hoping for 120whp
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
Yoda

scrap that. just took a ride in a honda fit with a straight pipe from the header back.. it smells and sounds really bad. just gonna put that money towards something else.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I've unplugged the VVT-i solenoid before just to see how the car went. It was night and day. WAY more consistent power and probably a few more up top.

(Unplugging the VVT-i solenoid retards the intake cam to 0° all the time)
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
scrap that. just took a ride in a honda fit with a straight pipe from the header back.. it smells and sounds really bad. just gonna put that money towards something else.
lol. you don't like that smell? I LOVE that smell. You weren't even going to run a resonator?

Why don't you do what barber did?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #32
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I love to see a dyno sheet from a YW member that shows any improvement with a larger TB on this car with stock cams, inlet manifold and head. Laws of physics say NO improvement is to be had. And I mean back to back, same temps and fuel. Some days my car makes what feels like 10 more hp than other days - usually due to barometric pressure and temps, so you will alway have that variability in the mix. AGAin the power is ALL TO BE HAD in the cam phasing (vvti) with stock cams, ONCE YOU UNCORK THE EXHAUST AND HAVE A GOOD cai. yES i AM A DOUBTER.
Dyno graphs don't show throttle response bro.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #33
Astroman
Modded Moderator

150 miles and the car purrs, no CEL. It's amazing what a difference this has made in how well the car pulls now when accelerating, I'm not having to push the pedal down as much to go uphill, and passing is much quicker. REALLY can't wait to get the custom exhaust done. I've done a TB swap before, this one really shines. Even my mechanic is impressed with how well the car responds and accelerates now. Do this mod, it's well worth it!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #34
PETERPOOP

Yes, if you can get it to work.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #35
sito

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
150 miles and the car purrs, no CEL. It's amazing what a difference this has made in how well the car pulls now when accelerating, I'm not having to push the pedal down as much to go uphill, and passing is much quicker. REALLY can't wait to get the custom exhaust done. I've done a TB swap before, this one really shines. Even my mechanic is impressed with how well the car responds and accelerates now. Do this mod, it's well worth it!

Astroman, did you swap the chip?
sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #36
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
lol. you don't like that smell? I LOVE that smell. You weren't even going to run a resonator?

Why don't you do what barber did?
nope was going to be straight thru. right now i have from the res back.