Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Question What would happen if i disconnected this wire???

There's a little switch under the clutch, its like a safety mechanism you have to push the clutch all the way to start the car. If i disconnect this mechanism will it start without me having to do it or will it not start at all. I just think its pain in the ass having to push the cluth all the way down everytime you start the car thats all. Plus mine is so weird, i have to literally push it all the way to the metal, and use some force in order for my car to start. I didn't bother readjusting it since it looks like its held by metal brackets. What would happen if I just somehow "mounted the switch in the on" position for ever, would this ruin anything? redface:
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It wouldn't hurt anything, except for being a theoretical safety issue, as the switch is there to make sure you don't start the car in gear.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Syroyizhka

i wouldn't do that! funny story, when i got my remote starter installed, it didn't put the safety mechanism on it yet, so one day i let my dad drive my yaris, so he parks it in the garage , because we were getting ready to change the oil, so he leaves it in gear. Than he tells me that it would be better to start the car again so the oil gets hot and drains faster, so .....i decided to use my starter, next thing you know, I was holding my little yaris with all my might as it was driving into me. I pressed my legs against the wall, and kept holding it as it was slowly driving close and closer into the wall, it stalled, than it tried to start again, my dad got scrared shitless, he ran around and tried to get in to get it off the gear, but the doors LOCK when the car tries to start, so he coudln't get it, so i tried to open it with the remote as i was holding my car, but it wouldn't work....fortuneltly the window was open and he got it off the gear as i was holding it.....shit the worst experience that i had with my little yaris.....
Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
On that^ note - Try readjusting the bracket so that the switch works properly, or replace the switch if it is faulty...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syroyizhka View Post
i wouldn't do that! funny story, when i got my remote starter installed, it didn't put the safety mechanism on it yet, so one day i let my dad drive my yaris, so he parks it in the garage , because we were getting ready to change the oil, so he leaves it in gear. Than he tells me that it would be better to start the car again so the oil gets hot and drains faster, so .....i decided to use my starter, next thing you know, I was holding my little yaris with all my might as it was driving into me. I pressed my legs against the wall, and kept holding it as it was slowly driving close and closer into the wall, it stalled, than it tried to start again, my dad got scrared shitless, he ran around and tried to get in to get it off the gear, but the doors LOCK when the car tries to start, so he coudln't get it, so i tried to open it with the remote as i was holding my car, but it wouldn't work....fortuneltly the window was open and he got it off the gear as i was holding it.....shit the worst experience that i had with my little yaris.....
Wow... Where's a camera when you need one? Would've made quite the YouTube video.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Why not wire in a bypass switch. A simple push bottom on the dash or between the seats would do it. Some of the older trucks have one on the dash.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
There's a little switch under the clutch, its like a safety mechanism you have to push the clutch all the way to start the car. If i disconnect this mechanism will it start without me having to do it or will it not start at all. I just think its pain in the ass having to push the cluth all the way down everytime you start the car thats all. Plus mine is so weird, i have to literally push it all the way to the metal, and use some force in order for my car to start. I didn't bother readjusting it since it looks like its held by metal brackets. What would happen if I just somehow "mounted the switch in the on" position for ever, would this ruin anything? redface:
Ka-Boom!
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
If you just disconnect the switch the car wont start you will have to hotwire the switch to be active all the time if you want to defeat this safety feature.
I cant believe that pushing in the clutch to start the car is that much of a problem,if you have a manual tranny i can just imagine you sighing every time you have to depress the clutch to change a gear.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=10758&page=2

Quote:
My dad once left my yaris in gear, and i Started it with my remote starter, and it drove into my garage, and just got stock in the wall lol....i was so pissed!
did it hit the wall or not? did it start in the garage or did it drive into the garage? didn't you JUST say you have to push the clutch in for the car to start??? I smell
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Syroyizhka

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=10758&page=2

did it hit the wall or not? did it start in the garage or did it drive into the garage? didn't you JUST say you have to push the clutch in for the car to start??? I smell
Yes, but if you read my story instead of skimming through it, I wrote, that I used my "remote starter" key, to start the car (in which case i don't need to hold the clutch cuz i'm not in the car obviously). The car was already in the garage, i was standing right in front of it, i pushed the start button, the car started and it was in first gear, so it drove right at me, so I used my hands to attempt to stop it. It was shaking like crazy as i was holding it with 1 of my legs against the wall. Than it stalled, and a second later it started again, this time i got a better grip on the bumper. My dad just froze up from shocks, so I had to yell at him to go put it in neutral, When he tried to do it from passenger side, the doors locked (because they lock when u remote start a car). I used my remote to try to open them, but it was already performing another operation "trying to start the car" and it didn't work. SO, than he ran around to the drivers side and got in through the window, that was luckily rolled down. The front bumper ran into and bended to crap my Shoe stand, bended some boxes with old shoes in them too. However, later i found that my Jack was stock under the front tire and the bumper, WHICH MEANT IT HELPED ME STOP THE CAR. It was later a pain in the ass to get out. So PLEASE, don't Say that you smell BS, because I wouldn't make a story like that for just the hell of it. I just shared my first week experience with my yaris.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
supmet
Banned

right, it remote starts in neutral, but in drive you have to have your foot on the clutch, or I think this would be a fairly common story. Anyways, you have a magical remote starter that retries to start the car when it stalls by itself too, so who knows???
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
Syroyizhka

well that's the whole point, the place where i had it installed, did not put any safety mechanism , so it would start even if it was in gear, after the incident, i threated to sue, so they replaced it with a different one , but now , in order to use my remote starter to start the car: I have to engage the hand brake, put it in neutral ,press a button on remote, take out the key, have car running, leave the car, as soon as i close the car shuts off. Now i can remote start it, if i open the doors and close them, it will not start. This starter is better than having to find your car drive away on you....

PS. Yes i do have a magical starter, because the car did attempt to start again. I think that's how this Scytek two way security is designed.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
How do you think I installed the remote starter in my 5spd LB?
lol. I just crimped off those wires, its been like 10k miles, and I havent had any issues.

Quote:
Anyways, you have a magical remote starter that retries to start the car when it stalls by itself too, so who knows???
Mine will try to start up to 5 times before it stops. it senses that the rpms on the tach wire have reached over 200, aka started.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Syroyizhka

so you see SUPMET? AlexNet0 remote starter tries to start the car 5 times, mine did twice before we stopped the car. I'm just saying i didn't make anything up
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I just grounded all of the wires that were supposed to go to safety switches for the shifter, hood latch, etc. The only safety that is there is the brake sense wire that shuts off the remote starter if you hit the brake pedal. So (and yes I have tested this while sitting in the car) if I leave the car in gear and hit the remote starter, it will try to take off, more like it just whines at me untill the ignition catches, then it will stall, and try to start again.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Bypassing the clutch/starter interlock is not an uncommon modification. Doesn't hurt anything, just be sure you're not in gear when you try to start the engine... just like everybody did from the dawn of time until the early 80's when that stupid switch was mandated.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Quote:
so you see SUPMET? AlexNet0 remote starter tries to start the car 5 times, mine did twice before we stopped the car. I'm just saying i didn't make anything up

Trying to start 5 times, and starting 5 times after a successful start and then stalling are 2 different things. I'm guessing if it pushed the car forward, it had reached 200 rpm.

And whatever - "I believe you," I'm not gonna sit and argue over the internet. Just for future reference when telling outlandish stories, its good to have your stories match up... lol
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch start