Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
ktoyo

Drives: Hyundai Elantra
Should I buy an automatic?

What do you think of this deal? And should I buy an automatic?
I'd really like some comments. Thanks.

I found a 2007 Yaris liftback with 41,800 miles. I think it's an okay deal at $8,788. With taxes, delivery, etc. it comes to just under $10,500. With a $2,000 downpayment I can get 60 monthly loan payments around $170.

The thing is, it's an automatic. I wanted a manual black Yaris. I'm ready to compromise, because of price. Every time I find a manual black Yaris, it's out of state or more likely out of my price range.

I had dreams of a turbo (Blitz compressor) or engine swap on my Yaris. But the compressor is not for an automatic and (as I understand) an engine swap is difficult enough without having to match up to an automatic transmission. (Maybe a swap is still possible?) I do know I can do plenty of other modifications tho, (rims, CAI, sway bars, muffler, body kit, front seats, brakes, spoiler, take out the rear seats and install the nastiest audio system in NYC/LI... kidding... maybe).

Plus I gotta be truthful to myself. I'm not much of a mechanic. I might not get past rims. Hopefully I at least lower my ride. I'll compromise on the automatic, because there are still a lot of modifications I can do.

Well, I'm just putting the questions out there. If you want to comment on anything, monthly payments, the car, better deals, don't hold back. I intend to purchase on Saturday. (Or maybe today, Friday, if I get off from work in time.) I'd like your comments. Don't hold back.

I been dreaming of a Yaris since back in 2007. Should I keep on dreaming? (I'm stressing family out asking for rides to work. I'm probably going to get this little gas sipper.)

Here's the ride:
http://www.millenniumtoyota.com/vehicle.asp?v=821390

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT Owner
ktoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Why do you say , the Blitz S/C is not for an automatic ,
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/member.php?u=5696
This member is running a Blitz S/C on his auto Yaris.
and if you could ever catch him , he would be more than happy to talk to you about it
as far as price goes , it seems a little high , but as i don't live over there ,
thats just my thoughts from what i have read on here .
Best of luck with your purchase and welcome
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
ktoyo

Thank you!

Actually the NY prices I've been seeing are above $10,000. I think, I'm getting an ok deal. I'll do a little more price investigation.

I think the price is below 10k because the basic warranty is finished and the drivetrain warranty has only 2 years or 19,000 miles left. I do know the car still has a lien on it, that the dealership has to clear up before they sell. (Maybe the dealership is making loan payments? Could this be a repossesion? Hmm.)

Thanks for your comments.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I have an auto and a Blitz, no problems there.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
not a bad deal

if you can live with your decision of an auto, why not go for it?

i don't think id finance a 3-4 year old vehicle for 5yrs though....you wanna be paying 170/mo when the car is falling apart?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
wiliker

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Check http://usedcars.overstock.com .That is where I found my car. Some also have free carfax reports. Just another option for you.
wiliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you should not buy an automatic
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
ktoyo

Thanks guys. I was spurred on to research price. I searched autotrader.com and found a black automatic listed for $7,989, with 38,449 miles. A better deal indeed.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
If you can find a manual definitely go for that.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
ktoyo

My Dad's telling me to chill. I just made a big purchase and I bring in the primary household income now. (Not to my Dad's house.)

But because I bought something I don't really enjoy, I really want my frickin Yaris to zip around in and enjoy. I want my Yaris. I'm already shopping for rims!

These:
Elbrus I04

or these:
Motegi SP10

(In my head, I'm fiending for some lowering springs. He doesn't realize I been thinking about a Yaris for years.)

Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'm perfectly happy with my automatic.

Then again, I have no interest in souping up my engine, modding suspension, wheels & tires or any of that stuff. I've built hotrods in the past and gotten it out of my system. It's a lot of work getting modified engines and powertrains to work decently, and they'll never be as flexible and reliable as the stock configuration that the huge corporations with nearly unlimited resources have spent years developing. Once you've got the hopped up configuration working, you can be obnoxious blasting off from traffic lights and such, but you've got to drive on the same roads with the same traffic and speed limits as everybody else, and you can't race around all the time before something's going to catch up with you, either the law or the laws of physics that make you more likely to crash. And you endanger others in the process. No matter what kind of horsepower you've got, if you have any sort of sense of responsibility and self-preservation, there's always some kid in an old Neon who's got less and will hold his foot to the pedal after you back off and beat you. Around town, sticking to the speed limits, I either catch up at the red lights with the boy racers, or if I've been watching and timing the lights properly, roll by them just as the light changes.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
You know I got a pretty similar deal when I bought my Yaris, a few months ago.

I bought an '07 "Certified" Yaris with a couple years left on the powertrain, just like what you're looking at. The car already had 55K miles and they wanted $10,500 originally, if I remember correctly. I got it down to $9, then they nailed me with last minute add-ons because I didn't know any better (now I know ;), and I ended up paying just a little under 10K OTD for a 2007 Yaris, not too bad, not too good either because if I had waited just a few more months, I might have gotten a new one for just a little bit more (they had sales and 0% financing 2 months later, but not when I was looking).

There was a high demand for cars like that at the time, and gas was still kind of expensive around here. Plus I was really set on a manual transmission (they're supposed to be cheaper, by the way, so an auto, same year, at the time would have cost me a little more) because 1) I've driven MT my whole life, and 2) on a used car, I'd rather take my chances with someone's clutch (you know you're gonna have to replace it at some point anyway, no big deal), but I dont want to replace someone's automatic transmission though ;0)

MT's are HARD to find around here, so when I saw that Yaris, I jumped, practically bought it on the phone (the dealer put an add on Craigslist).

Now that I've driven it for a few months, I realize that if had gotten an auto instead, I would have been just as happy with the car overall, because of all the hills and all the traffic around here In fact, the MT on the Yaris is a little weird, compared to any other MT car I've driven.

So, that's my story.

You asked for advice or input, here is mine: if you don't get this Yaris, it's not the end of the world, don't worry, another one will be around the corner in the near future. If you want MT, then wait for a MT (they're HARD to find, though!!) but if you live in an urban environment, or have to go through heavy traffic often, or contend with hills, then why not get an auto for now?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
ktoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'm perfectly happy with my automatic.

Then again, I have no interest in souping up my engine, modding suspension, wheels & tires or any of that stuff. I've built hotrods in the past and gotten it out of my system. It's a lot of work getting modified engines and powertrains to work decently, and they'll never be as flexible and reliable as the stock configuration that the huge corporations with nearly unlimited resources have spent years developing. Once you've got the hopped up configuration working, you can be obnoxious blasting off from traffic lights and such, but you've got to drive on the same roads with the same traffic and speed limits as everybody else, and you can't race around all the time before something's going to catch up with you, either the law or the laws of physics that make you more likely to crash. And you endanger others in the process. No matter what kind of horsepower you've got, if you have any sort of sense of responsibility and self-preservation, there's always some kid in an old Neon who's got less and will hold his foot to the pedal after you back off and beat you. Around town, sticking to the speed limits, I either catch up at the red lights with the boy racers, or if I've been watching and timing the lights properly, roll by them just as the light changes.
Yeah, I agree. Stock rules. Still I want something to put rims on and kinda "mash up" from the beginning. You could say "trick out", but my skillz may keep me on the low end.

You know in high school (90's) I wanted a Civic. I'm damn near 40 with no kids and no wife. If I don't buy what I want now, then when? This car is a symbol of some kind of late-adolescent-pre-mid-life event.

I'm not into racing, I've gotten that out of my system. (If I go fast, I don't calm down well. I'm the kind of person, who should use public transit.) STILL I just want something to "express my freedom and originality", even if I'm limited by a budget and have to copy a bunch of forum members!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Go for what makes you happy!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
ktoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
You know I got a pretty similar deal when I bought my Yaris, a few months ago.

I bought an '07 "Certified" Yaris with a couple years left on the powertrain, just like what you're looking at. The car already had 55K miles and they wanted $10,500 originally, if I remember correctly. I got it down to $9, then they nailed me with last minute add-ons because I didn't know any better (now I know ;), and I ended up paying just a little under 10K OTD for a 2007 Yaris, not too bad, not too good either because if I had waited just a few more months, I might have gotten a new one for just a little bit more (they had sales and 0% financing 2 months later, but not when I was looking).

There was a high demand for cars like that at the time, and gas was still kind of expensive around here. Plus I was really set on a manual transmission (they're supposed to be cheaper, by the way, so an auto, same year, at the time would have cost me a little more) because 1) I've driven MT my whole life, and 2) on a used car, I'd rather take my chances with someone's clutch (you know you're gonna have to replace it at some point anyway, no big deal), but I dont want to replace someone's automatic transmission though ;0)

MT's are HARD to find around here, so when I saw that Yaris, I jumped, practically bought it on the phone (the dealer put an add on Craigslist).

Now that I've driven it for a few months, I realize that if had gotten an auto instead, I would have been just as happy with the car overall, because of all the hills and all the traffic around here In fact, the MT on the Yaris is a little weird, compared to any other MT car I've driven.

So, that's my story.

You asked for advice or input, here is mine: if you don't get this Yaris, it's not the end of the world, don't worry, another one will be around the corner in the near future. If you want MT, then wait for a MT (they're HARD to find, though!!) but if you live in an urban environment, or have to go through heavy traffic often, or contend with hills, then why not get an auto for now?
AND THERE YOU TOUCHED IT! A NEW ONE.

Apparently the tax on new car purchases will be deductable from your taxes. Not only for those that itemize, but everyone. It's part of the incentives the government is doing to boost spending. Cash for Clunkers is over, but some don't realize a new car purchase in 2008 may reduce your taxes. I think this will be the first year tax on new car purchases will be deductable. (They may have been for businesses, but I don't think so for general consumers. Speak to your tax preparer and visit IRS link1, link2, and link3.)

Anyways my Dad's telling me about it and saying wait and purchase a new car using dealer end of year financing and cashback deals. Just like what happened to you.

Then I gotta purchase what's on sale and in stock. And if it's a new ride, I'm gonna want to stay stock to not void warranties and all that. Naw man. I can't go for that.

Slowly, I'm settling into the idea of an automatic transmission. I was taught on manual and it's all I drive. But I could get used to a free hand for texting. KIDDING!!!

I missed my insurance broker who probably left early for the holiday weekend. Since I don't have an insurance card that has stopped the purchase from happenning over the weekend. More time to ponder, visit other dealerships, and see if I can get the dealer to throw in some extras. I'd particularly like free installation of some aftermarket rims and lowering springs.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
ktoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Go for what makes you happy!
I'm trying.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #17
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Geez, I'll sell you mine for $9k tomorrow. It's got less than 30k on it, it's already lowered with wheels. Come get it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
ktoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
not a bad deal

if you can live with your decision of an auto, why not go for it?

i don't think id finance a 3-4 year old vehicle for 5yrs though....you wanna be paying 170/mo when the car is falling apart?
I could buy the car cash today, but that's poor use of my money.

After 3 years, I'll trade it in.
Or after 3 years, I'll pay off the balance and...
I'll know how the car works and I'll repair the car at my leisure or...
I'll know how the car works and I'll do an engine swap.

This is really a project car. The more and more I think about it the more I realize that.