Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #199
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I hope he does, and I'm the one selling them.
Hey Cali, is he really going to be making more than just the ten? I would love to buy one but my bank account is recovering from getting married. If you are getting some of these what's your time frame after this initial 10 are produced?
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #200
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'll talk to him again -- I'm working on having the production run include some extras for me to carry in my store. stay tuned... (so to speak)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #201
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
hold crap ITBs would be so awesome!
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #202
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'll talk to him again -- I'm working on having the production run include some extras for me to carry in my store. stay tuned... (so to speak)
Thanks for the info. I will have one of these!!! ...and hopefully a turbo.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #203
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
I really hope he gets a small supply of these so I can save up for one.

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #204
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
I probably shot myself in the foot for offering the mid-range manifold, but the comparison does deserve a little insight. Actually, it is possible to significantly increase the torque production at lower engine speeds using the proper intake design. The problem associated with this is that there is almost always a trade off in power at higher engine speeds. The intake is literally tuned to maximize torque production at a given engine speed. It may be possible to give big gains at 3000 rpm but it may also cost power at 5000-6000 rpm(menaing it may make less power than the stock intake). I doubt this is acceptable. I will run a few more tests on the mid-range version and see if there is a happy medium that is better than my previous results. Also I saw posts on difference between Hp & Tq, but in reality to the are mathematically related and any given torque value will have a corresponding HP value at a given engine speed. Tq is simply work or force and HP is that work or force applied over time. In a drag race scenario (or simple acceleration) the intake that will provide the best acceleration time is the one that offers the most average power over the rpm spread required. In the case of the Yaris, this means WOT at 4000 rpm to 6000+ rpm-except in 1st gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Well, if I may share my 2 cents, I've had a lot of time to think about this conundrum...

As much as we want, we cannot expect any sensible improvement of low to mid-range torque with just bolt-on NA mods. You must realize that a 1.5L engine can only do so much. Sure, you could get higher compression pistons, a stroker kit and maybe some new cams, but AFAIK those also really come into their own at high RPMs.

The reason is, sadly, there is no replacement for displacement. You cannot expect the torque of a bigger engine, it's just not gonna happen. You won't see Pee-Wee Herman bench pressing 300lb, you won't see a 1NZ with V8 torque...

So, one must realize this intake manifold is not some magical end-all solution to more power. If the best results are a pretty sizeable increase of torque from 2500RPM onward, then I think it is correct for the manufacturer to maximize on this.

This means that yes, on the street, if you drive in a calm and "normal" manner, you'd never really see an advantage. This intake manifold will really come into its own where it is designed to, at high RPMs, so it will be of most use to those who really race their cars, be it on a track or autocross.
It was said in a previous post, or one that was lost with the hack, but this manifold could be compared to a "bolt-on VTEC", as it gives the engine the ability to keep revving far better than stock. And, as with VTEC, the love-hate relationship is that you have to keep the engine at high RPMs to get good power output from it.

If you really want more low-end torque, the most effective solution is more displacement. This is where forced induction comes in, as it can be considered "virtual displacement" (think about this... normal atmospheric pressure is what, 14psi? a turbo running at 7psi is thus forcing in 50% more of atmospheric pressure, thus giving your engine characteristics of one that is 50% larger, or 2.2L. Of course, this is a very rough generalization, kinda like giving steroids to Pee-Wee!). This is why superchargers excel in this area, they start shoving in more air as soon as the engine is moving, same thing with small, responsive turbos that may not create massive boost, but can start to supply it quite early.

There you have it... If you seriously want more low end torque, go for a small turbo or supercharger. Of course, it's $3000 vs $700, I think that's also an important reason why many are wishing for a "low RPM" version of the intake.

I'm in no way an engine expert, so feel free to pick apart what I've just written
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #205
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
welcome back
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #206
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
hehe, yeah!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #207
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well if the mid range manifold turns out to not be as great, i would love to get a high range manifold, the problem is i came onto this forum late and was unaware of this buy in and dont have the money immediately to do it. will you be offering this manifold one time only or will you produce more as the demand presses on?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #208
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
HIGH RANGE MANIFOLD FTW! Can't wait!!!! RAAAHH!!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #209
sdyaris

Drives: 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
Can someone repost the dyno's for the two intakes? I know there was a post on it pre-hack. Would be nice to have some reference again.
sdyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #210
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
If you'd rather, Richard, I'll pull my list and drop the topic for now. I don't want to turn this into a huge headache for you. If it's getting there, like I said a few times in the mid-range thread I'm okay with the mid-range not happening.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #211
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyaris View Post
Can someone repost the dyno's for the two intakes? I know there was a post on it pre-hack. Would be nice to have some reference again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
I will run a few more tests on the mid-range version and see if there is a happy medium that is better than my previous results.
Since Richard's going to make newer tests, I think posting the old mid-range graph would just confuse matters.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #212
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Now that SEMA nonsense is over, I can get the Yaris and start making the production piece. I will keep you guys posted on the progress. I am starting with the high-horsepower version first and only if demand warrants, possibly follow up with mid-range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Since Richard's going to make newer tests, I think posting the old mid-range graph would just confuse matters.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #213
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
can't wait can't wait
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #214
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
can't wait +10 hp ftw
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 AM   #215
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
can't wait for the graphs to be posted
Old 11-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #216
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
i already sold $700 worth of $5.00 pizza mias. cant wait!!
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote