Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
SuperYaris123

Drives: 1999 Acura TL
Highway driving

Hey, how do you rate your yaris on the highway ? Is it good ? Enough power, sways from side to side? Noisy ?? In the process of deciding which car to buy. Yaris comes very close at the top of my list due to many reasons. One thing thats stopping me from setting on the car 100% is yaris's ability to perform on highway. Please let me know how you guys think regarding yaris on the highway.
SuperYaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I do most of my traveling on the highway and I like it. Plenty of power, just downshift. It does sway from side to side alot. Some suspension mods help the swaying from what I understand. My car is pretty noisy on the highway, but my back seat is out. I'm sure they definitely aren't the most quiet cars. I'm not even sure if they have sound deadening. It's a lightweight bare bones car and if that's what you want then it's the best IMO.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I guess it depends what you are comparing it to.Yes it can be blown about by the wind but nothing most competent drivers cant handle,yes its a bit noisy at higher speeds but thats only a 1.5 liter engine trying to push a ton
of metal down the road.Power from 60mph and up doesnt come quick.Other than that its a reliable economy car thats comfortable and economical,as a daily driver its hard to get a better bang for the buck. Are you looking at sedan or hatchback?
PS my last car was a Miata.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
I loved the way my old Hatchback drove on the highway - the only mod was going to 16-inch wheels with lower-profile tires, and using a higher pressure than "stock"
205/45-16 tires at 42 psi. Not to everyones' taste, but it worked for me and the car performed beautifully in the corners and on the highway.
The new HB is just waiting for the wheel/tire package, adn is still not bad.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Lots of power. Rarely a need to downshift. Heavy winds blow it around, but...its a light car.
428CobraJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Don't really notice too many issues on the highway. No problem doing 85 when necessary, just doesn't get there as quickly as my daughter's tc. You just learn to compensate and allow extra time. The NF springs and the sway bar really have improved the handling (and the look). I am still running original tires at about 40 psi.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I run 125 mi each day, 70% on the freeway. The Yaris is light and the wind does push on it. But if you expect it, it is no worse than a minivan or small SUV. If you are used to a large sedan or wagon, it will feel considerably different.

Acceleration is good, particularly with the manual transmission. The horsepower to weight ratio is actually equivalent to a V6 light truck or crossover vehicle. The ratio on my Yaris 3 dr HB is within 1% of the Suzuki XL-7 that I gave up. (think Rav4 Limited)

Remember that you would be buying something that is roughly 1/3 the cost of a current Acura TL off the showroom floor. The driving experience can be very different, but still quite good. Take some of the savings and put it into better wheels and possibly a sway bar.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
I run 125 mi each day, 70% on the freeway. The Yaris is light and the wind does push on it. But if you expect it, it is no worse than a minivan or small SUV. If you are used to a large sedan or wagon, it will feel considerably different.

Acceleration is good, particularly with the manual transmission. The horsepower to weight ratio is actually equivalent to a V6 light truck or crossover vehicle. The ratio on my Yaris 3 dr HB is within 1% of the Suzuki XL-7 that I gave up. (think Rav4 Limited)

Remember that you would be buying something that is roughly 1/3 the cost of a current Acura TL off the showroom floor. The driving experience can be very different, but still quite good. Take some of the savings and put it into better wheels and possibly a sway bar.
I would disagree with the acceleration statement. I have the MT and acceleration is one of the thing I dislike about the Yaris. But I come from a Honda CRX HF that was a lighter car with exceptional acceleration (well for an econo car), so that's part of it. Other than that, I don't find the Yaris particularly noisy on the highway (my CRX was louder) and I love the way the Yaris handles corners. The wind tends to push the Yaris a bit more than my old CRX (more surface to grab on to, I guess?), takes a little getting used to.

You must take it on a test drive. Do'nt take our word for it.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Highway miles and speed limits can vary by where you live. 75 mph is the limit where I live. The flow of traffic can be 80-85 mph. At these speeds the Yaris can be noisy especially on the concrete. I have had a lot better riding cars and trucks, however, they cost twice as much.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I do 80+ every night on the way home from work. I have no problems. I think you get more than what you pay for in a Yaris.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Coming from a flat sided, square box TJ wrangler, I almost don't notice the wind at all.

Acceleration is also pretty nice, by comparison as the TJ was a 2.5 I4, rather than the 3.0 V6 option that was more common with them back then. The power to weight ratio is just superior, which is kind of nice for the hills here in MO.

I'm also impressed with how quiet it is. It's crazy, I have to pay attention or I find myself speeding too easily on the highway, but I am getting used to it.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
[QUOTE=tomato;308757]I would disagree with the acceleration statement. I have the MT and acceleration is one of the thing I dislike about the Yaris. But I come from a Honda CRX HF that was a lighter car with exceptional acceleration (well for an econo car)QUOTE]

is this revisionists history? i used to drive a Honda CRX HF. it had 62 horsepower, so while it was lighter than the yaris, it still took a lazy 12 seconds to 60 mph. my yaris was decidedly quicker/faster.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
is this revisionists history? i used to drive a Honda CRX HF. it had 62 horsepower, so while it was lighter than the yaris, it still took a lazy 12 seconds to 60 mph. my yaris was decidedly quicker/faster.
It also says that the CRX HF can get upwards of 50 MPG somewhere. Mine never did, only got 32 MPG ***at most**** and that's on a good day, usually it was in the 20's range but it had a hell of a lot of acceleration, I've driven the car long enough to know, always the first one to leave at the red light without even trying. Say what you want, the Yaris doesn't do that!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperYaris123 View Post
Hey, how do you rate your yaris on the highway ? Is it good ? Enough power, sways from side to side? Noisy ?? In the process of deciding which car to buy. Yaris comes very close at the top of my list due to many reasons. One thing thats stopping me from setting on the car 100% is yaris's ability to perform on highway. Please let me know how you guys think regarding yaris on the highway.
expect to be blown away, literally
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Its quicker and more nimble than many other cars on the highway (MT). When lowered, with a rear sway bar, it handles much better in the wind.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #16
SuperYaris123

Drives: 1999 Acura TL
Thanks for all the info guys, most likely i will go with the yaris. Deciding between a 2006 blue RS 4dr hatch or black 2006 RS 2dr hatch. Iam leaning towards the black one due to liking the color more but would like to have it in a 4dr hatch, but unfortunately i don't see any on the market at the moment. Therefore most likely going for the 2dr hatch. The reason i asked if its good on the highway is because i tested the car and it seems to get noisy at high speeds and every bump on the road can be felt quite noticably. But i guess for a small car which can save me so much gas is worth it.
SuperYaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote