Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I thought is said on the simple green label that it is enviro. friendly but I may be wrong. I used to use a Mr. Clean magic eraser to clean white wheels and it makes them looked like they are bleached
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Environmental tip: use dish washing liquid. It will remove grease and road tar, but more importantly, it is environmentally friendly. Many car cleaning products contain hash chemicals that may be toxic to the environment. Yes, I am environmentally friendly!
Bad choice. Both for your paint,a nd for the environment. Phosphates in many dishwashing liquids cause algae to bloom. Best to buy a product that's intended to be used outdoors and run-off into storm drains, like most car wash liquids. There are several "green" products available at most Wally-Worlds and auto parts stores.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I dont know how to go straight to Konig.
www.konigwheels.com
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
i almost did this 2 hours ago and decided not to. you grow more like me every day
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
YaYa1320
YaYa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Like 7 or 8 years ago this happened to a set of Konig Toxxins I had on my old Civic, I had the wheels for a week or two and the clearcoat started peeling off of them and never stopped. I def wont buy konigs again unless I find a good deal on a used set. I only used car soap on them and wax, so Im not sure if the cleaner is the culprit in your case or not, prolly not
YaYa1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I use the left over Meguiar's soap in the bucket to clean my rims. They do a good job.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
All I got to say is that Konig wheels are manufactured at 3 or 4 different factories. If yours is from Communist China, then that explains everything. I have had 4 or 5 sets of Konig's, and I have been able to clean them with all types of cleaners. All were manufactured in Taiwan, and I did not have any problems with them. Konig should be able to replace your wheels. Good Luck!
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Simple green is a no dice on wheels, I don't care if you're a 7 year vet.
Clean them well with soap and water. Get some rejex, apply following directions on package. Done.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
Clean them well with soap and water. Get some rejex, apply following directions on package. Done.

Yeah i had some cheap rims before i forget the brand it was a wheel works house brand. But never had issues when using store bought cleaners designed to clean rims. I did use some generic cleaner once which was equivalent to simple green and ever since then the clear coat started to flake off my rims.

Wheel paint and clear coat is simular to the paint on our cars. No one would ever use simple green to clean thier cars? It strips the finish and removes nutrients from the paint.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #28
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:

Ive been using diluted degreasers on wheels for as long as I can remember. I no way will it break down the finish on paint. Not a chance in hell. You give me proof and I will retrack my statement. As a detailer when a corvette would come in with the alloys that was the product of choice over wheel acid. I have used it on all my wheels, my Advans, Team Dynamics, Gram Lights, even a set of rattlecanned Rotas. There is nothing unsafe about using simple green. You don't unload a whole bottle of undiluted cleaner on the wheels though either.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i almost did this 2 hours ago and decided not to. you grow more like me every day

LOL youre such a jerk haha. I did call but it didnt get me to someone who could help me. I need to get past their customer service to someone who can actually do something.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #30
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post
LOL youre such a jerk haha. I did call but it didnt get me to someone who could help me. I need to get past their customer service to someone who can actually do something.
ask for a supervisor? worth a try.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #31
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
IBTL....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #32
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post
Ive been using diluted degreasers on wheels for as long as I can remember. I no way will it break down the finish on paint. Not a chance in hell. You give me proof and I will retrack my statement. As a detailer when a corvette would come in with the alloys that was the product of choice over wheel acid. I have used it on all my wheels, my Advans, Team Dynamics, Gram Lights, even a set of rattlecanned Rotas. There is nothing unsafe about using simple green. You don't unload a whole bottle of undiluted cleaner on the wheels though either.
If it were completely safe, why can't you use it at 100% strength, undiluted then? That was what i was referring to. Why even take a chance? I mean it costs us $500 in shipping to get wheels to my location, then on top of that another $700-$900 per wheel, you do the math. Why would one EVEN bother to take a chance with the product? That was my point.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #33
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Then again, i have seen and heard a lot of really crazy stuff on this site.
And BTW, no i don't put thousand dollar wheels on my yaris.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #34
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
they all suck.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #35
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i got $1000 + wheels on my yaris and have used simple green once, nothing happened. I usually clean them with soap and water.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #36
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
And BTW, no i don't put thousand dollar wheels on my yaris.

Finally, we have a winner!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote