Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #91
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
however the normal 17 box wrench doesn't fit down to the nut, as the nut sits deep down in the black metal part around it... dit you used a deep offset box wrench
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #92
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
however the normal 17 box wrench doesn't fit down to the nut, as the nut sits deep down in the black metal part around it... dit you used a deep offset box wrench
Make sure you have your jack under the side you are working on, with some pressure on it. This will compress the spring/strut, and make removing the nut a lot easier.

Look at my pictures, its a regular box wrench. Maybe take a trip to the store, and look for something thats better/deeper then what you're using.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #93
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
thanks, indeed that whas too deep, dont know why but it was... even with the side completely jacked. finally I put a normal socket and grip it veeery solid with the wisegrip then turn it - that worked

just to help a bit, when removing the whipper arms, a nice idea is to tap on the bolt that retains the arm while pulling with the other hand on the arm - this should make it easy

Last edited by hystria; 12-08-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #94
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
planning on getting DF's for my S. i mainly use my car for transportation (freeway most of the time), so DF's would be a good choice, right? keep in mind, i do have 3 passengers with me at times with some luggage in the trunk.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #95
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
ummm, after the springs got "warn-in" I seem to get some rubbing at times with a full trunk, crap in the back and front seat passanger.... but as long as I go over bumps slowly (say in and out of some parking lots, missing pot holes) everything seems fine for the most part.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #96
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Hey guys I just recently installed the nf's and they turned out great, handling is improved ride is just a tad stiffer than stock, and it looks 10 times better, and even better once i get some 17's on it. I had some things to add to the How to as well.......

Rear springs
1. Position the jackstands as posted in the picture and worked real well for me was positioning my jack underneath the center of the arm and jacking it up or down to my needs, rather than each side individually
2. Before undoing the shock bolts there is what looks to be a vacuum line bolted to the arm.....If you look at picture 7 you will see a black threaded stud next to aluminum looking clip, unbolt the vacuum line from the arm because the line will get real tight when you undo both shock bolts...

Front
1. Yes you can reach the top bolt with just undoing the trim and wiper blades.......but i undid that plus the motor and metal bracket that goes across the back side of the engine bay...free'd up a lot of room and made it very easy....

the back took 45 minutes which included opening up the springs and grabbing all the tools i needed, very simple.....

the front took a bit longer, always with a strut mounted spring. Once you get that first one done you know exactly what to do on the second one......

Chris07lb, if you want to add any of this to your tutorial by all means, and hope its ok i referenced to one of your pictures........the write up was great and helped me out.......

anyone in socal need any help whether its verbal or literally a hand, let me know.......

I will work for beer lol....
Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #97
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
Hey guys I just recently installed the nf's and they turned out great, handling is improved ride is just a tad stiffer than stock, and it looks 10 times better, and even better once i get some 17's on it. I had some things to add to the How to as well.......

Rear springs
1. Position the jackstands as posted in the picture and worked real well for me was positioning my jack underneath the center of the arm and jacking it up or down to my needs, rather than each side individually
2. Before undoing the shock bolts there is what looks to be a vacuum line bolted to the arm.....If you look at picture 7 you will see a black threaded stud next to aluminum looking clip, unbolt the vacuum line from the arm because the line will get real tight when you undo both shock bolts...

Front
1. Yes you can reach the top bolt with just undoing the trim and wiper blades.......but i undid that plus the motor and metal bracket that goes across the back side of the engine bay...free'd up a lot of room and made it very easy....

the back took 45 minutes which included opening up the springs and grabbing all the tools i needed, very simple.....

the front took a bit longer, always with a strut mounted spring. Once you get that first one done you know exactly what to do on the second one......

Chris07lb, if you want to add any of this to your tutorial by all means, and hope its ok i referenced to one of your pictures........the write up was great and helped me out.......

anyone in socal need any help whether its verbal or literally a hand, let me know.......

I will work for beer lol....

I think that "line" is your ABS, and most of us do not have that, but good point either way.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #98
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post

Rear springs
Read your owners manual.. its is said to NEVER jack up the rear of the car, by the center of the beam, connecting both rear wheels.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #99
07typeS

lol dude i put a block of wood across the whole arm, forgot to mention that.......that simulates what the car is doing on the ground so its no big deal........i can agree not to have all that stress on the center but i had it spread evenly.......

and thanks for the info nimble, yea i didnt remember seeing that step in the how to so i looked and saw that he didnt have the line but had the stud for it......
Old 01-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #100
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Do you think this would be possible without a spring compressor?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #101
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgDogg View Post
No. You have to use it to at least remove the old springs from the struts... not needed so much to re-install the shorter Tanabe springs.

You can rent one from your local parts store for 10 bucks. Do it the SAFE way, get a spring compressor.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #102
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
No. You have to use it to at least remove the old springs from the struts... not needed so much to re-install the shorter Tanabe springs.

You can rent one from your local parts store for 10 bucks. Do it the SAFE way, get a spring compressor.

If you have air tools you can get the stock front springs off without a spring compressor. Have a friend secure the strut on the ground with his foot. Give yourself about 15-20 feet in case anything goes flying, and make sure no one is standing in front of the strut. Use an impact gun to remove the strut nut. The spring will pop off about a foot, and some of the little parts may scatter, just keep an eye on everything. I did mine this way and the nut rolled away. everything else was right there.

Use common sence and safety and you will be fine without a spring compressor. If you are stupid, using hand tools, or don't have the proper room to do this, get a spring compressor.

Ashley
Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #103
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgDogg View Post
$10 .vs. risking getting hurt. Your choice.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #104
07typeS

yea chris07lb is right........i think i bought my spring compressors for like 20 bucks at harbor freight and have paid for themselves no doubt......

that whole holding onto the top of the spring works but you better hope you trust the guy holding it, make sure the spring is going to slip, lots of things to worry about.........

but you definately dont need it putting the spring back together, theres almost no compression, theres a little.....but hardly any....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #105
FoEKuZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to FoEKuZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
$10 .vs. risking getting hurt. Your choice.

paid $40.00 at auto zone for the spring compressor...when i took it back, they refunded my money...
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #106
07typeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoEKuZ View Post
paid $40.00 at auto zone for the spring compressor...when i took it back, they refunded my money...
lol stickin it to the man baby..........too funny.......its actually a good tool to have, especally if you got a lot of friends that are into cars.....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #107
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Nice write up, 2 things real quick. That's the incorrect way to measure ride height. Also are you sure that is a 9/16" & not metric ? Or you just not have the correct metric size ?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #108
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Measurement was a guide to show a before and after.

And if you search around, thats how its done all over the place..

Bottom of center of fender, to the center of wheel.

YES, if will vary from Yaris that come with 16's or guys running aftermarket larger wheel setups, but like mentioned, it was to gauge the drop on your car, during your install.
Closed Thread