Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
gollygirl1

Drives: YR Yaris 2013
First Paint Chip - booo hooo

Ok so car is just over a week old, a pretty cherry red, and today I notice two tiny paint chips on the bumper !!! (only noticeable up close).

I know - it is a car and these are part of every day life and driving - but I just had to come here and have a little weep.

I did get paint protection, but of course that wont protect against chips - I knew that this day would come - the first chip - but it still has made me shed a tear all the same.

I guess more will come and then one day will be a trip to the detailer for a fix - but still, I am disappointed but just needed a Yaris Hug !!
gollygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
bairjo

You need to get the 3M paint protection installed. I did and I have over 51000 miles on the freeway....no paint chips at all. Great stuff.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
gollygirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
You need to get the 3M paint protection installed. I did and I have over 51000 miles on the freeway....no paint chips at all. Great stuff.
I already brought paint protection - toyota did it.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
bairjo

What paint protection was put on the car?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
gollygirl1

Ozone Shield

http://www.ozoneshield.com.au/
Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
bairjo

Yup, you should have gone with the 3M product. It will do what the product you paid for PLUS prevent chipping. The product you purchased says nothing about chip protection.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
gollygirl1

That was not an option through Toyota and from what I have read 3M can change colour over time and even the website says "virtually un-noticeable" - so I dont think that product is for me. I was looking at Opti-Coat though. I guess I shall just have to have the tiny chips touched up professionally.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Maybe all you need is to get your car waxed (you can either do it yourself, or you can get it professionally done by a detailer). My car has gotten smacked by rocks on multiple occasions while driving over the past few years. And I've never gotten any chips as a result. Car wax really does put on a protective barrier. Yes, it's true it's unavoidable that a car will get chips over time. However, the goal is to minimize it, so you don't need to accept it as inevitable.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
gollygirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Maybe all you need is to get your car waxed (you can either do it yourself, or you can get it professionally done by a detailer). My car has gotten smacked by rocks on multiple occasions while driving over the past few years. And I've never gotten any chips as a result. Car wax really does put on a protective barrier. Yes, it's true it's unavoidable that a car will get chips over time. However, the goal is to minimize it, so you don't need to accept it as inevitable.
So true, only thing is with paint protection I think they dont like you to put wax on top - shall have to find out. I am happy to have her detailed in that way - but I dont think it is an option once paint protection is applied.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Another good alternative is to keep a touch up paint pen in the glove compartment.
Either that site or automotivetouchup.com (which other YW members have used) should offer a very inexpensive way to keep tiny scratches like these out. Just make sure to follow instructions or you risk making the problem worse.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
If you love the car or grow to love it the best advice I can give you is to save up and have the car painted properly. The paint on the Yaris has been a sore spot on for the most part a very loved car by those that have owned one. Some say that because it is an economy car that is why the clear as well as the paint is so thin, but that is a bunch of bull. How can an auto manufacturer have rust warranties when they don't properly paint the car in the first place? But, I digress. You are correct on the possible fading for the 3M protection. I have had a van that we put it on. The protection was great, but after a few years you could tell where it was and where it wasn't especially after rain or snow. The product is a great investment, but like most things it is a compromise.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
gollygirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Another good alternative is to keep a touch up paint pen in the glove compartment.
Either that site or automotivetouchup.com (which other YW members have used) should offer a very inexpensive way to keep tiny scratches like these out. Just make sure to follow instructions or you risk making the problem worse.
Great idea, but had a look at that site and my colour is not on there - it is listed as CHERRY here in Australia. So is that "Absolute Red" elsewhere?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
You might need to check with your dealership to make sure. They often change the name of the color while keeping the paint code the same. But OTOH it's also quite common for them to offer exclusive colors for particular markets.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
yaris1F8

Drives: Yaris 1F8
you can also get your bumper wrapped with clear plastic..
yaris1F8 is offline   Reply With Quote