Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
mackie421

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
How much did you pay for your Yaris?

Sorry if this thread has been done before, but I searched and came up w/ nothing.

How much did you pay for your Yaris? I started my search for one back in mid to late-summer, just as gas prices were starting to come down from their peak. At the time, Yarii were pretty hard to come by in this region, so dealers weren't willing to budge from MSRP. At least they weren't charging market adjustments over sticker, like many Honda dealers were doing on the Fits.

So are Yarii still going for MSRP, or is there some room to negotiate now that gas prices and car sales have plummeted?
mackie421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Burningbjorn

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvt-i Cool
I live in the Netherlands
Cost me 18500 euro's (thats 25191 dollars) for the 1.3 toyota yaris with sportspack.
10212 dollar of that price is tax! (insane country this is)
Burningbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
I remember seeing a similar thread somewhere..anyways mine cost 17,000$ stock. 1.3L LB.

I thought mine was bad hehe ^^
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
I paid $15,800 for a base sedan (new). I was pretty disappointed with that but sticker was $16,425 so I guess it isn't horrible. I'm just used to negotiating a little better when I buy cars - I wanted one SO bad, though, and only one local dealer had the sedan w/ power package.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
I paid nearly $19,000 for mine. :-(

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10747
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
$ 30104
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainless twit View Post
I paid $15,800 for a base sedan (new). I was pretty disappointed with that but sticker was $16,425 so I guess it isn't horrible. I'm just used to negotiating a little better when I buy cars - I wanted one SO bad, though, and only one local dealer had the sedan w/ power package.
Same thing happened to me! The only car in the dealer that had the power package was the one I paid a high price for. But yeah, I really wanted one!! And it was right there, you know, just waiting to be taken home. At least the dealer was kind enough to drive the car to my house. That's a point for them in my book.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
$11,700 in July '08, gas at $4/gal, but had 2000 miles on it from a guy that bought it and ultimately did not qualify to finance it. The dealership had to repo it and it sat on their back lot till I saw it and made them an offer. Now I see them everywhere on lots from $9500-13500 depending on how its equipped.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
chibipod

Drives: '09 3DR LB S MT Meteorite
$13,800 for an '09 'S' LB w/Power Package/Keyless about a month ago. Even came with floor mats...
chibipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
NJBob

$12,800 base 3door liftback with A/C, CD, MT
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
$13,600 for a base liftback with convenience + cold weather package + TRD suspension
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I paid MSRP.
Only thing, I brought up the trade in value of my old cars to almost the same price as I could've sold them private party.
Savings on the tax by trading in would make it about the same as if I sold them outside private party.
(Tax would been like $400)

I bought them when they just came out and they were getting sold out pretty quick.
I had to wait 3-4 weeks because they would come to the lot on Tue or Wed and get sold out by the weekend when I stop by.

Right now, I see them on the lot all the time...
You probably can get at least $500 below MSRP.
Some people are getting one for invoice price, which is $1000 below MSRP.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
so what did you pay for it tetz?

and chibipod, thats amazing.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
$13,000 for a new power package sedan with 2 miles on it. It all depends on who you know...

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
Yeah I paid sticker too.
This was back when they were hard to find and I had to have mine ordered, took about a month. If I would have waited like two months I could have got one cheaper since my dealer has a bunch now lol
I love my yaris so I don't care
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
xed

Drives: '08 Polar White 3dr
I think it was right at $11,700 but that was out the door (tax title tags). '08 LB, manual, no options at all, the true basic model with no radio and 14" tires. So I got them to toss in floor mats and all tax title tags and have it come out as the msrp which was $11,700. This was in October '08 which was before all the gas craziness.

If I remember correctly I figured out the dealer profit at 4.5% and I knew they needed to make at least 3% and I wasn't going to pay more than 5% so it came out fine. Also buying a car with no options what so ever reduces all the "play" in the pricing and everything is much more straight forward since there is no place for any "smoke and mirrors" other than the financing, trade-in and the optional purchase of an extended warranty.

So in case my experience may help others...

Price - I got the dealership to commit to the out the door price by email before I ever set foot in the dealership. That left the dealer thinking they would make up the money on a combination of financing, options, extended warranty, trade in or possibly selling me on another car. I didn't want any options so that took options off the table.

Trade-in - I had them give me a trade-in estimate which was after I had my out the door price locked in. Of course they offered way low. I told them that I would "think about it" since my Yaris wouldn't be on the lot for a few more days (it was in transit). I put my car up on Craigslist for a fair price and I had it sold within 3 hours. Since I sold my car myself I got a lot more money than the dealer would have ever given me.

Financing - I arranged my own financing before I set foot in the dealership but I didn't tell the dealership. I told them that we would talk about financing once we were ready to sign the paperwork. When that time came I asked them for their best financing offer, their offer was really bad. I then told them that I had my own financing arranged and that if that was their best offer then I would just write them a check for the car. They wanted to know what my financing offer was so that they could try and match it. I told them that wasn't how it worked; they would give me whatever their best financing offer was and what I had arranged personally didn't matter; their best offer was their best offer. end of story. They came down 1.5% but that still didn't beat the financing I had already arranged so I went with my own financing.

Extended warranty - since the out the door price and financing were already done the only place left for the dealer to make extra money was on trying to hose me hard on the extended warranty which was exactly what they tried to do. They pitched it; I told them that I knew a reasonable price was less than half that price. To my surprise the guy instantly came down 60% off the price and said "deal?". I knew that was the correct pricing for the warranty so I said "deal", we shook hands and that was that. I wrote them a check and drove my new car off the lot.

I didn't screw the dealer (that's impossible) but most importantly I didn't let the dealer screw me. I got my car for a fair price and the dealer made a fair profit of 4.5%. I didn't take up hardly any of their time, I didn't haggle because I didn't need to with how I did everything. The dealer had a quick sell for fair profit and then they got back to their "normal" sales. I don't think they were exactly "sad" to see me go but if every sale they had was as quick and easy as mine was then I bet they would make more money by selling more cars for less.

This was my first new car purchase ever but I did a LOT if internet reading before I ever contacted the dealer so that I knew what to expect and I learned how not to get hosed.

Last edited by xed; 01-10-2009 at 08:10 AM.
xed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
NJBob

OH, I need to mention an $800 factory incentive. Make sure when you buy, to ask your salesman. You can find these on line and the salesman doesn't always "remember" or know that they are available. It's usually with a certain time/date too. Werd!
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Flint mica, 2008 4 door 5 speed, power package w/steel wheels, cold weather package & full mats, power windows, ABS, remote power lock

$14,200 List was $15,400
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote