Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Why the top fuel level bar lasts so long

There have been quite a few threads in the past that discussed this, but here's a Mythbusters style analysis of it (fortunately, minus the large explosion at the end):

Today I am working on the range until empty and fuel level in gallons (or liters) features for my YarGauge project. I drained Crashy's fuel tank and then added 1 gallon (precisely measured with a one gallon laboratory flask) at a time while recording the data values from the analog to digital converter, which I have connected to the fuel level input to the instrument cluster.

I plotted a graph to see how linear (or not) the fuel sender value is in regards to the volume in the tank. From bone dry to the top of the filler pipe, I was able to put in 12.8 gallons. The ADC value stops changing at just over 11 gallons.

So, you can put just shy of two gallons more into the tank than the fuel gauge can measure.

Name:  Fuel Level Graph.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  24.8 KB
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There have been quite a few threads in the past that discussed this, but here's a Mythbusters style analysis of it (fortunately, minus the large explosion at the end):

Today I am working on the range until empty and fuel level in gallons (or liters) features for my YarGauge project. I drained Crashy's fuel tank and then added 1 gallon (precisely measured with a one gallon laboratory flask) at a time while recording the data values from the analog to digital converter, which I have connected to the fuel level input to the instrument cluster.

I plotted a graph to see how linear (or not) the fuel sender value is in regards to the volume in the tank. From bone dry to the top of the filler pipe, I was able to put in 12.8 gallons. The ADC value stops changing at just over 11 gallons.

So, you can put just shy of two gallons more into the tank than the fuel gauge can measure.

Attachment 31330
This is not only on the Yaris. Every car or truck I have owned has the same "problem" as the Yaris. It's the norm.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
This is not only on the Yaris. Every car or truck I have owned has the same "problem" as the Yaris. It's the norm.
Exactly. Because the level sender is in the tank and the fill pipe is above, this will always be the case. I just thought it was interesting to see the data on where the real cut off is.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Cool Scott! Confirmation is always a good thing.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
That's a great data set, CTScott. Thanks for sharing it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Thanks for this project scott! It's nice knowing what the actual capacity of the tank is since we never fill up from bone dry to find out. 12.8 gallons vs the 11.1 capacity that is the official spec. So approximately 1.7 gallons over the gauges "full" level. Certainly explains the extra 50 or so miles we get out of the first bar!

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
+1. CTScot for president of something.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
jh3cuemd

Drives: NOT REGISTERED
nice investigation CTScott, pro-like!
jh3cuemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Thanks for the great info as always, Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
here's a Mythbusters style analysis of it (fortunately, minus the large explosion at the end):
You have to admit it would've been awesome to see though...

Quote:
Do you know how each fuel bar correlates to those graph values? It would be nice to see when the fuel meter comes goes down from 3 to 2 bars, for example.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Thank you Mr. Scott. Always wondered why the first few gallons went so far. Nice to know we can stuff almost 13 gallons in the tank.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Thanks for the great info as always, Scott!

You have to admit it would've been awesome to see though...

Do you know how each fuel bar correlates to those graph values? It would be nice to see when the fuel meter comes goes down from 3 to 2 bars, for example.
It's pretty gray as far as the bars go. They're bands are quite wide and the cluster's computer takes quite a while to decide that it's OK to update the level.

I understand why, as driving around and watching the real-time raw data, the fuel sloshes like crazy and the level bounces over a range of 2-4 gallons.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The gauge has to be averaging the level over a fairly long period of time.

Yesterday I parked mine in the garage and shut it off with the second bar showing on the gauge. When I started it up again a few hours later, it came on with the last bar blinking. Never saw it do that before. I figure it had just reached the threshold for changing bars, but it hadn't been there long enough before I switched it off.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Thanks scott! I have been checking my fuel mileage the old fashioned way, and filling the tank pretty full (to second pump clickoff on slow fill) was wondering how well the evap system can deal with an overfull tank w/o flooding the canister or the purge lines and causing trouble.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Thanks scott! I have been checking my fuel mileage the old fashioned way, and filling the tank pretty full (to second pump clickoff on slow fill) was wondering how well the evap system can deal with an overfull tank w/o flooding the canister or the purge lines and causing trouble.
The evap vacuum line connects at the top of the filler pipe, so theoretically it will only get wet when you overflow the filler pipe. Although, if the filler pipe is very full (but not overflowing) it is quite possible for the fuel to slosh around enough to get some where it shouldn't be.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
kameele

Drives: 2009 Zephyr Blue manual sedan
CT--there's no end to what Crashy can do!! it's nice to know that there is a little more capacity than the spec says. i know nothing of the structure of the gas tank. is there any heel left when the level hits the gas line? That is, any un-useable gas left behind?
kameele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameele View Post
CT--there's no end to what Crashy can do!! it's nice to know that there is a little more capacity than the spec says. i know nothing of the structure of the gas tank. is there any heel left when the level hits the gas line? That is, any un-useable gas left behind?
For the test, I started with the tank less than half full. I drained it by disconnecting the filler pipe from the tank and using a hand pump to siphon the gas. I drained it until the pump was sucking air and the bottom of the tank had less than 1/4". I started the car to see if it would start and run for a bit and after about 5 minutes I got bored and shut it off and started grabbing my data. The bottom of the tank is flat with a couple of ridges for strength, so I think it still running was due to the well within the sender unit.

Here is what the bottom of the tank looks like. It is basically flat with a small recess where the sender unit sits.
Name:  Tank - Bottom.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  115.7 KB

Here is a view of the sender unit, looking down into its well where the fuel pump sits. You can see the circle facing the float which is the intake.
Name:  Sender - Bottom.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  177.5 KB
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
kameele

Drives: 2009 Zephyr Blue manual sedan
So basically, if you run out of gas, the tank is dry.
kameele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameele View Post
So basically, if you run out of gas, the tank is dry.
Very close to dry. When it stops running the bottom of the tank is barely covered.