Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #37
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
here's a page from TOYOTA in EUROPE for the accelerator pedal recall . http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-acce...call-in-europe . Posted JANUARY 28 , 2010 . Imagine there's more up to date info on this issue . Thing is the 2009 YARIS is not likely to be worn or corroded this early . I believe it's the computer telling throttle to stay open .
Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #38
Hershey

T.O.F.0817 is the brake issue having to do with taking a while to kick in as if there may be air in the brake line ? Our 2010 acts like this . May have to take it in for a look . Thanks .
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #39
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I am not asking anyone here to believe me, I am just explaining what happened. I am no special car person who knows all the technical terms and what not. I slammed on my brakes because I was scared. All i can describe was the car kept going at 15 mph, and as i tried to brake it just kept going. The car never keeps going that long at 15 mph, and i had to forcefully press the brakes and then i felt the car jerk and it came to a complete stop.

My brake problem is that sometimes they are mushy and sometimes they are fine. Sometimes it feels like they cant stop the car good enough.

With the whole Toyota recalls going on, I am trying to keep everyone on here as up to date and informed about what happened to me.

My car is parked until Monday. When I get home from the dealership I will surely update everyone here. Safety is the main goal at this point for everyone.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #40
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
I am not asking anyone here to believe me, I am just explaining what happened. I am no special car person who knows all the technical terms and what not. I slammed on my brakes because I was scared. All i can describe was the car kept going at 15 mph, and as i tried to brake it just kept going. The car never keeps going that long at 15 mph, and i had to forcefully press the brakes and then i felt the car jerk and it came to a complete stop.

My brake problem is that sometimes they are mushy and sometimes they are fine. Sometimes it feels like they cant stop the car good enough.

With the whole Toyota recalls going on, I am trying to keep everyone on here as up to date and informed about what happened to me.

My car is parked until Monday. When I get home from the dealership I will surely update everyone here. Safety is the main goal at this point for everyone.
It's not necessarily because we don't believe you. Just questioning the details of the situation to get to the bottom of it.

I'm just confused because as I mentioned, almost all automatic transmission cars crawl at around 15 mph in drive with you foot off the gas which is why you have to ride the brake to go slower than 10-15mph. So the only problem I'm seeing here is that you say you first pressed your brake and it kept going which is hard to believe but if that's the case, you have a brake problem that's a 1 in 10 million shot.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #41
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
use the brake, use the e-brake, or can't you simply cut the engine off by turning the key?
You are SOOO right. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
The throttle sticking doesn't disable your clutch, does it?

If you have a manual, just push in the clutch.
Man, WTF is wrong with me
Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #42
Twistoffate0817

A little update: Dropped my car off to toyota dealer around 1:45 pm today. I explained my problems with the car, and also explained how when I have my cell phone in the holder under the radio and someone texts or calls me, the car acts funny. He asked me to leave my cell phone and car over night so they can test it.

He also tells me I am not the first one to complain about sticky pedals/weirdness with the computers ECU. Many cell phone complaints have come in saying when the cell phone is anywhere near the speedometer the car tends to act funny.

Tomorrow I will get my car back and see what they have to say.

As for now, I hope someone tries to see if theres a difference in their car when their cell phone is on and near the speedometer.

Some differences in driving from the cell phone interference: Pedal becomes harder to press, steering wheel acts different.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #43
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
A little update: Dropped my car off to toyota dealer around 1:45 pm today. I explained my problems with the car, and also explained how when I have my cell phone in the holder under the radio and someone texts or calls me, the car acts funny. He asked me to leave my cell phone and car over night so they can test it.

He also tells me I am not the first one to complain about sticky pedals/weirdness with the computers ECU. Many cell phone complaints have come in saying when the cell phone is anywhere near the speedometer the car tends to act funny.

As for now, I hope someone tries to see if theres a difference in their car when their cell phone is on and near the speedometer.

Some differences in driving from the cell phone interference: Pedal becomes harder to press, steering wheel acts different.
Well that is interesting... I just started placing my cell on the shallow bowl in front of the spedo since I got one of those non-slip mats for your dash... will have to keep an eye on things when my phone is up there...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that is weird. I've had my cell near the steering wheel and speedo and haven't had a problem yet, but mine is a manual.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #45
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Weird. I've had my cellphone near the speedo and have never encountered an issue.

However I use CDMA/iDEN phones and not GSM, which do cause audio interference, but I can't imagine the same 217 Hz pulse causing issue to the car's electronics like you see with audible interference in radios/speakers/etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #46
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

\

That's weird. I put my cell there so I could see where I was going (google maps), didn't notice any problem. I'm on a GSM network.

(my usual fave spot for the cell is in the cup holder, though. It fits perfectly there. )

Yeah, please let us know what the dealer says.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #47
Twistoffate0817

Just got the call from the dealership:

They thought they duplicated what I was feeling concerning the cell phone issue. It was a slight loss of power concerning the accelerator pedal, but only one technition thought he felt it. They had four other guys try and could not duplicate it. They have no solution to my problem, not unless toyota finds that there is an electrical problem in their vehicles. His advice for me right now was to just keep driving, and if anything unsafe happens again to bring it in and they would have to get involved with Toyota.

The whole odor notice from another thread was no use for my 09 hatch. They did not fix the odor even though I have it. They claimed that notice is for 07 hatchs and not mine.

And according to my braking issue, they claim they could not duplicate my feelings.

So i guess for now I keep driving it until something weird happens again. Keep an eye on how your cars are acting, especially if you have a cell phone near the speedometer.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #48
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I used to place my cell phone in the cup holder, never had any issues. I'm on a GSM network as well. My car is stick-shift.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #49
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I would suggest that ToF sit down and really consider all the possibilities. As I posted in another thread, the actual incidence of *alleged* reports of sudden acceleration problems for Toyota vehicles is 11.8 per 312,000 sold.That's 1 in 26,488. That's compared to, e.g., 8 in 312,000 for Ford and similar numbers for other manufacturers. And an interesting 22 per 100,000 for VW, which compares to 7 per 100,000 for Toyota based upon that reporting source. So, ToF, what do you think are the chances that you won the accelerator pedal lottery, against all odds, and this widely reported spontaneous sudden acceleration happened to you? And what do you think are the chances that you are just attributing some less interesting, but unrelated, isolated, phenomenon upon the current "Sudden Acceleration" frenzy that the media, apparently fueled by a beaten and somewhat embarrased United States government and auto industry, has cooked up?

Look. Toyota is a mega-corp. I just happen to have bought a car I like which happens to have been made by them. However, I have no great love for Toyota or any of the rest of the slave-driving bunch. But... I do recognize media-fueled mass hysteria, and the considerable power of suggestion when I see it.

My advice? Forget the current media circus. Consider the facts objectively. Analyze the merits of the data regarding your own situation. And get it worked out. Turn off the TV for a while and re-embrace sanity.

And as tempting as it is for me to blame cell phones for most of the World's ills... conscience compels me to point out that it is a most unlikely cause of your issue.

-Steve Bergman
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #50
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
I would suggest that ToF sit down and really consider all the possibilities. As I posted in another thread, the actual incidence of *alleged* reports of sudden acceleration problems for Toyota vehicles is 11.8 per 312,000 sold.That's 1 in 26,488. That's compared to, e.g., 8 in 312,000 for Ford and similar numbers for other manufacturers. And an interesting 22 per 100,000 for VW, which compares to 7 per 100,000 for Toyota based upon that reporting source. So, ToF, what do you think are the chances that you won the accelerator pedal lottery, against all odds, and this widely reported spontaneous sudden acceleration happened to you? And what do you think are the chances that you are just attributing some less interesting, but unrelated, isolated, phenomenon upon the current "Sudden Acceleration" frenzy that the media, apparently fueled by a beaten and somewhat embarrased United States government and auto industry, has cooked up?

Look. Toyota is a mega-corp. I just happen to have bought a car I like which happens to have been made by them. However, I have no great love for Toyota or any of the rest of the slave-driving bunch. But... I do recognize media-fueled mass hysteria, and the considerable power of suggestion when I see it.

My advice? Forget the current media circus. Consider the facts objectively. Analyze the merits of the data regarding your own situation. And get it worked out. Turn off the TV for a while and re-embrace sanity.

And as tempting as it is for me to blame cell phones for most of the World's ills... conscience compels me to point out that it is a most unlikely cause of your issue.

-Steve Bergman
+1, also to consider is the fact that Yari are not on the list of recalled vehicles (not that I'm saying they can't be, but I'm saying they currently are not)

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #51
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
From what i heard the issue with the toyota gas pedal recalls is the car will take off like a rocket without any warning. From what you describe it dosnt sound like this simular issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #52
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Thing is the 2009 YARIS is not likely to be worn or corroded this early . I believe it's the computer telling throttle to stay open .
Personally, I think it's a defect in human psychology telling people's mouths to stay too far open. :-) I reserve the right to change my mind if and when I see any convincing *evidence* that a problem actually exists. I'm somewhat skeptical even of validity of the floor mat issue.

This shows every indication of being an exercise in crowd control. And Toyota has to at least appear to be doing something, regardless of whether a problem exists or not.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #53
Hershey

time will tell . It's a edge of your seat thriller . Patience is not likely for those whom fret not knowing when their car may go haywire .
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #54
Hershey

not surprised service center did very little . When we took the '09 5 door in because of battery dying twice was told that it tested fine and must have been our doing by leaving something on . The car had the ECO-METER in it at time of inspection of battery . Bet they figured that was the culprit . This is part of the problem with recalls . Many service centers could care less about your investment or well being . Incompetence and laziness are a factor as well . You're just a a pain in the . As I over heard a service center manager say about me to a worker when getting snow tires removed . Had been doing business there for many years . Don't mean squat . Haven't been back since .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-09-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Closed Thread