Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I just laugh it off as I count the money saved on the way to the bank.

Great gas mileage, great insurance rate, decent priced car payments. The cool goodies which I have installed are sweet as well!

But seriously, what are friends there for if they can't bust your chops once in a while, dish it back to them. It's the friends whom can't take jokes who are the friends you don't want (well, among other more important criteria).
one of them is one of my best friends and the other has become a really good friend too... and you have no idea how much stuff gets brushed off, it's just that my yaris is their last resort when i have come back at them for everything else and i would like to take the away from them too

haha i'm going to bring them a copy of the consumer reports reliability of my car and show them that seeing as how all but like 3 categories are far above average and the ones that aren't are still above average (something the beamer or the s-10 can claim)... then tell them to kiss my ass because i know my car will last as long as i want it to without billions of dollars in repairs (anything that breaks on the beamer)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
just make fun of your car yourself, thats what i do...its shuts them up. by trying to justify the purchase you're just making them want to bust your balls further cus they know it bugs you.

or make fun of what they own

or "you may not like my car, but your mom finds the back seat pretty spacious"

or "shut the fvck up before i drive my small car up your big @ss"

try 'em out
Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Why say anything?
Tell them it's your car and you like it.......end of story.

Fact is, people respect self-assuredness and the ladies find this trait appealing.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I tell them I get over 350 miles on less than 10 gallons of gas and they shut right up.

Most of my co-workers drive big trucks and SUV's.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #23
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
A year ago after I bought my car, a co-worker tells me I'm gay cause I drive a Yaris. Then he tells me his dad has one as well. So on Monday this week he asked me how my weekend was and I told him I had attended a GAY Yaris meet and his dad was there too!!
Yesterday on the way home I had a woman in the lane next to me HONK at me, I rolled down the window and she yelled out to me = That car is so F_CKIN CUTE and I love it!!!
I'll take any compliment from a woman any time.
And NO, I haven't had any GAY men say that to me either.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Hey Dathbauer, diggin your 'signature'. It's very Event Horizon of you
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
db662

Drives: 2010 yaris
I usually just tell them that I don't need a car thats deemed by the masses as "fancy" to compensate for any "small short" comings...that usually embarrasses them - ESPECIALLY if I say something like that in front of girls (it's even better when they agree and say that "he's not lying either")
Hope that helps
db662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Some racing disk hubcaps, and a sharkfin antenna can also change the look.

And when looking at total economy: finance cost, fuel, and maintenance; the Yaris beats everything at the 5 year and 10 year intervals. (Prius, Fit, Mini, Insight, Smart, all of them)

When they're struggling to pay down their student loans and other expenses, you'll be getting ready to buy your first place.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
jealousy, just jelousy
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Sorry I couldn't find that other thread, but it looks like you got some pretty good answers already.

It's true what TheBarber said. If you make fun of the car, too, they'll drop it. If they don't, just remember why you got the car in the first place and ignore what they're saying. When they're done talking you just say "are you done now" and move on to something else. If they can't get a reaction out of you, they'll probably stop rattling your cage.

The most important thing is that you don't let it get to you.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #29
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
to me its weird when people talk about it being so small. its pretty massive as far as 2 door cars ive delt with are concerned..
i went from driving an 87 pointiac fiero gt to this so no one gets on me about the size because its almost literally double the size of my old car, just that i sold out..which i did but i needed something reliable and cheap
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #30
Wattz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
What do your friends drive? Land barges? Sports cars? If you guys are in college and you're the only one driving an economy car, then you're the only one with your act straight. Make sure they know it when you're buying another beer and they're all out of money. Or, when you're taking your date to a nicer restaurant than they can.

Things like that stick out. You may be frugal with your vehicle, but it lets you enjoy the other things in life that much more.
Wattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #31
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattz View Post
What do your friends drive? Land barges? Sports cars? If you guys are in college and you're the only one driving an economy car, then you're the only one with your act straight. Make sure they know it when you're buying another beer and they're all out of money. Or, when you're taking your date to a nicer restaurant than they can.

Things like that stick out. You may be frugal with your vehicle, but it lets you enjoy the other things in life that much more.
Awesome point, and very true...people are dishing out $300 a month for their damn Escalades while i dish out $100 a month..more money to spend on friday nights and snowboarding days
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #32
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattz View Post

haha i love this comment but it is way off (no offense) one has an 04 bmw 3 series is 33 and a recovered alcoholic and the other has a chevy s10 extreme that his dad gave him and a 1000 cbr and is a paramedic. to them it really isn't about the money otherwise the savings on gas and the car itself would have shut them up. they just have nothing else to rip on me about so they harp on how gay my yaris is for being small and goofy looking.

i've got some good advice here though so we'll see what happens tomorrow when i get together with them again.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #33
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I must consider myself lucky then. My friends like my car more than I do. (I wanted a Scion Tc or a Hyundai Tiburon, but the Yaris was a gift so what's not to like ). The only jokes I've recieve are from my GF cause she smokes me, then again she drives a BMW 335i Besides that she even likes to drive it cause its "fun to drive" she even learned to drive M/T on it.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #34
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
After owning a Miata for the last 7yrs i've heard all the comments,at first it was amusing and i'd come back with some witty retort but now when some one puts the feminine designation to my car i just say F--- O--
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #35
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
mate had the same problem my mates have fast cars mx6 integra & audi a3 i guess you realy have to look at the strenths the car has i got the trd struts and springs sway bars and a set of 15" with hot tires mate i take them on around the corners no problems show them up any day any time they also answer "yeh mate we are faster then your girls car"... well my reply ha ha mate any monkey can by a fast car and go fast in strait lines you dont have the balls,car or skills to go through the corners... ha ha that shuts them up + tall blonde women sitting next to me ha ha
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #36
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
Quote:
thebarber
or make fun of what they own

or "you may not like my car, but your mom finds the back seat pretty spacious"

or "shut the fvck up before i drive my small car up your big @ss"

try 'em out
ok mate you are real funny ha ha ha well i tryed this and doing so reminded my of school and again ignited a memory from a country boy i knew who was a real grot, ha ha so i used the "call" and infront of my women i said to a trady who said it was a girls little heap of crap "you may not like my car, but your mom finds the back seat pretty spacious"" well he was not happy i then remebered what the grubby school mate had sad after the traidy said.... "yeh good cum back" i promptly replyed " If i wanted good come back i would lick it off your mums face".... well he got out of his car at the lights of corse i shut all windows and locked doors lol will not be taking advice from thebarber again

ha ha
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote