Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Davis View Post
I get asked quite often how I like my hybrid..When I tell them its not a hybrid they look at me like im crazy..
If Toyota would just frikkin' ADVERTISE the Yaris, people would understand.... :sigh:
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
P Davis

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S
I agree!! More air time for the Yaris
P Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
I have been asked more than once where the battery is. I always laugh and say it's under the hood. I have also noticed a few people pointing at my Yaris and talking about it. They seem to be smiling and laughing, so I assume they are joking about it. The SUV/big vehicle mentality still reigns supreme down here. If gas goes to $5.00 a gallon by this summer, I will be the one laughing. Heck, I'm laughing now at $3.60. My gas bill is 1/3 of what it has been compared to my 97 Tacoma.

Yeah, Toyota does not advertise the Yaris. I knew the name, but when I was looking for a small vehicle, I was looking hard at Corollas and had totally forgotten about the Yaris. Since Corollas (even used ones) are overpriced here, I searched for a Yaris and luckily found mine at a good price.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Quote:
I believe other drivers think I am a small female or elderly person driving a car of that type. Conversely, they think I am probably some mean guy while I am in my black truck.
90% of the idiots on the road dont think, period - Its not your car, its the 'me-me' mentality of the (usually younger) generation on our roads.

Incidentally, most of them take their lack of patience and respect OFF the road too.

Bring back the good ol 'clip behind the ear'
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicfin View Post
Yeah, Toyota does not advertise the Yaris. I knew the name, but when I was looking for a small vehicle, I was looking hard at Corollas and had totally forgotten about the Yaris. Since Corollas (even used ones) are overpriced here, I searched for a Yaris and luckily found mine at a good price.
It's quite the opposite here in Quebec province, the Corolla is cheaper than yaris brand new, and used they sell for about the same. In my town (Montreal city) most cars are compact and sub compacts, and big trucks ans SUV (while suv are common too) are the marginal ones. People all drive the same no matter what car you drive, and I'm the one following others too close, not the one followed. I have a bike too, and that's different from driving a car, but I haven't drive it much yet (just got my license and it was winter), I had no issues but I'm always affraid of not being seen and cut.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
It's quite the opposite here in Quebec province, the Corolla is cheaper than yaris brand new, and used they sell for about the same. In my town (Montreal city) most cars are compact and sub compacts, and big trucks ans SUV (while suv are common too) are the marginal ones. People all drive the same no matter what car you drive, and I'm the one following others too close, not the one followed. I have a bike too, and that's different from driving a car, but I haven't drive it much yet (just got my license and it was winter), I had no issues but I'm always affraid of not being seen and cut.

Very interesting. Corollas far outnumber the Yaris here. Although, I see a Yaris quite frequently, but it is nowhere even close to the number of Corrollas on the road. Riding a bike down here is risky. I used to cycle a lot. I feel I was barely cheating death when I did. Riding a bike on ANY public road is frowned upon by most motor vehicle drivers here. I had several drivers curse and blow their horn at me. Some would even try to come as close as possible to me just to make a point. I ride the very edge of the road and it was still not good enough. They just don't think you should be on the road with a bicycle down here.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
.. It seems I get zero respect on the road and it really goes beyond that. .....

There have been other little incidents, but those two have stuck in my mind the most.

..... Can anyone relate?

F..ck yeah!!! I've been putting up with this for years, since I used to drive a smaller car before and it is indeed complete disregard for the small car out there for some reason. Not trying to over generalize but yeah, a lot of people will just assume they can cut in front of me, whatever.... On the other hand, whenever I drove the ex's [much bigger car], it was like they were parting in front of me in the freeway so I could merge.

I guess now I've developed different driving habits when I drive a small car. Either you have to be more assertive, or simply let them go ahead, depending on the situation, what is safe at the time, do you have room go first or is it better to let the jerks cut in front of you rather than get into a fender bender...

I know the Yaris is somewhat underpowered for certain situations on the road, so I tread lightly in some cases.

Last edited by tomato; 03-17-2012 at 12:26 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #27
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Drives: Yaris 2007
It is all about mentality. I drive my Yaris almost like a grandma, though I have Yamaha R1, a 1000cc motorcycle. That is why I smile at people who try to race my Yaris!
Perpetuous_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I don't really have a problem, of course I drive slower than almost everyone on the road, and if they try to tailgate me I'll brake check them faster than they can change the radio station.

Mostly though I just don't care what other drivers think. When push comes to shove, most people don't want to get in an accident.

Although I will also admit to pushing the Yaris father than most people are willing to push their cars handling wise. Let the tail of the car come out and play! After out handling people they won't give you grief.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
i believe its your area. here in south florida i see quite a few yaris more the older gens the the 12 model, and their just zipping around town. as for the respect issue, i do tend to see people always trying to cut in front of me, but mostly because their in a hurry. im 28 yrs old 6'2 220 lbs. i know i dont fit the usual yaris driver criteria. but i think due to me having very dark windows would give away im definetly not a senior citizen, also the fact at nighttime i just installed HIDS lighting.

my guess would be its the good Ol' boy syndrome over in your specific area. dont let it bother you. there's asshole drivers all through the United states.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #30
broody

Quote:
Very interesting. Corollas far outnumber the Yaris here. Although, I see a Yaris quite frequently, but it is nowhere even close to the number of Corrollas on the road. Riding a bike down here is risky. I used to cycle a lot. I feel I was barely cheating death when I did. Riding a bike on ANY public road is frowned upon by most motor vehicle drivers here. I had several drivers curse and blow their horn at me. Some would even try to come as close as possible to me just to make a point. I ride the very edge of the road and it was still not good enough. They just don't think you should be on the road with a bicycle down here.
I was talking about a motorcycle, not a bicycle. I ride my bicycle almost every day when the weather allows it, and near downtown it's really not an issue, car drivers are used to them and there are many bicycle lanes. In the suburbs though, it may be dangerous on big boulevards, people expect us to drive on the sidewalk I guess, and even then, once a car hit me (without damage, the lady turned in the entrance crossing the sidewalk without looking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuous_Dreamer View Post
It is all about mentality. I drive my Yaris almost like a grandma, though I have Yamaha R1, a 1000cc motorcycle. That is why I smile at people who try to race my Yaris!
My motorcycle is a 250cc, so it's not that much faster than a Yaris. But to drive around town it's more than enough and I can hit the 17 000rpm redline without doing 3 times the speed limits :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I don't really have a problem, of course I drive slower than almost everyone on the road, and if they try to tailgate me I'll brake check them faster than they can change the radio station.

Mostly though I just don't care what other drivers think. When push comes to shove, most people don't want to get in an accident.

Although I will also admit to pushing the Yaris father than most people are willing to push their cars handling wise. Let the tail of the car come out and play! After out handling people they won't give you grief.
Even if I get brake checked, I'll continue to tailgate you (with my high beams ON), I'll just be more prepared to brake quickly. Just drive faster or let people pass is they boher you. At least with a motorcyle it's easier to pass people anywhere (although not safer).

And I see the Yaris hatchback as the replacement of the Civic hatchback of the 90's. So, for me, it's a small car for young drivers who like to drive quickly around town, not a grandma car.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
Even if I get brake checked, I'll continue to tailgate you (with my high beams ON), I'll just be more prepared to brake quickly. Just drive faster or let people pass is they boher you. At least with a motorcyle it's easier to pass people anywhere (although not safer).
Are you willing to get into a fight? I've stopped on people who think they can be assholes when they drive. I've brake checked a motorcycle who thought he could sit behind me with his helmet basically on my rear windshield. I'd rather force you to be polite, or fight you to the death, then let you be a piece of garbage while you drive. I'm also 6'2" and weigh a ton.

Is being a piece of garbage worth your life? Because I'll gladly make you murder me knowing you will spend the rest of your life in jail, where people who act like that belong.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Nicfin, I think it's due to what the others said, Alabama and most of the Southern states are full of rednecks. Even here in Indiana we have our share of them, most of them disgruntled General Motors workers who were laid off last summer when the GM Stamping Plant closed. And the local Ford Motor Co./Visteon closed also.

Another thing it could be is the people who just plain hate Japanese cars, for the above reasons. Years ago I was lined up at the Indpls Motor Speedway to get in for the first day of qualifying and I just happened to be in line behind a UAW worker with a bumper sticker that said "I'm Union and I'm Damn Proud of It". He was drunk and when he saw my Honda CRX he threw a beer bottle through my glass. It just so happened a Safety Patrol guy came by at the same time and had him arrested by the State Police.

Still, there's not a week that goes by where someone tries to run me over and they all get the finger.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
hello all.

When I was first learning to drive I used to get upset at every driver that tried to cut me off on the freeway or pulled out infront of me or raced me to be infront of me, whatever the list goes on.

As I get older I realize all I really want to do is live my life, if they want to be jerks let them. This what I think of when im driving. "its costing me less than 1/2 a gallon of gas to drive to and from work, i take it easy and enjoy the drive (im really not in any rush to start a 12 hour shift working on airplanes anyways ) If you must be infront of me whatever, its your loss because you just burned up in that one little move what i do in an entire day of driving."

Dont let it get to you, I think its a power thing. They think by being ahead 1 car in the "great race" they have gained some kind of better position in life, and that they gained power and respect, also they see the yaris and think "oh its just a little slow car with granny driving I can beat up on it" just let em and laugh.

Good luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSCOPE001 View Post
hello all.

When I was first learning to drive I used to get upset at every driver that tried to cut me off on the freeway or pulled out infront of me or raced me to be infront of me, whatever the list goes on.

As I get older I realize all I really want to do is live my life, if they want to be jerks let them. This what I think of when im driving. "its costing me less than 1/2 a gallon of gas to drive to and from work, i take it easy and enjoy the drive (im really not in any rush to start a 12 hour shift working on airplanes anyways ) If you must be infront of me whatever, its your loss because you just burned up in that one little move what i do in an entire day of driving."

Dont let it get to you, I think its a power thing. They think by being ahead 1 car in the "great race" they have gained some kind of better position in life, and that they gained power and respect, also they see the yaris and think "oh its just a little slow car with granny driving I can beat up on it" just let em and laugh.

Good luck
Sean Scott
I have to agree, and nine times out if ten, I usually pull right next to them at the stop light anyway. We both got at the same place and THEY (the speeder/s) have to wait just like I (in the Yaris) do.

They just burn more fuel, and increase wear and tear on their vehicle (beating on it in a rush to get somewhere) instead of me. Let them waste money to potentially "save" a couple of seconds. No paint off my bumper! I'll just sit in the right lane and enjoy a nice, quiet drive listening to some Beethoven or Bach.

Or Epica.

CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #35
broody

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Are you willing to get into a fight? I've stopped on people who think they can be assholes when they drive. I've brake checked a motorcycle who thought he could sit behind me with his helmet basically on my rear windshield. I'd rather force you to be polite, or fight you to the death, then let you be a piece of garbage while you drive. I'm also 6'2" and weigh a ton.

Is being a piece of garbage worth your life? Because I'll gladly make you murder me knowing you will spend the rest of your life in jail, where people who act like that belong.
Is not letting me pass worth a fight?
You are unpolite by driving slowly without letting people pass, it's normal to get the same lack of politeness from the guy behind you.

And the top drivers at work (food delivery, in yarises) are always making 40-80% more orders than some other drivers, so driving quickly isn't just a matter of seconds, but a matter of minutes which makes me gain maybe 1-2k$ extra at the end of the year. And I'm not more dangerous than anyone, I have never been close to have a responsible accident implying other cars, or at least not due to the non respect of the law. Driving fast = more focused, less distracted, less small accidents due to a lack of attention on the road.

And driving slow is boring, going fast and trying to make a way through the traffic is part of the game and the excitement, and that's whate make driving supportable. Otherwise, I'd hate driving and I'd rather take the bus (which I do when it's not much longer than car). The yaris is a great car to drive quick around town, it takes sharp turns and it makes U-turns so easilly.

Last edited by broody; 03-20-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #36
killacam64

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
In South Dakota i get passed and cut off in my yaris sedan and my chevy silverado. most ppl around here are just bad drivers. I think its becasue there is too much room and people just are not used to being close to others on the road.
killacam64 is offline   Reply With Quote