Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Question What would you do (realistically)

So my girlfriend got a new phone. Immediately before this the agent gave her a loaner phone while waiting to get hers in stock, and they transferred all of her contacts/pictures/music etc onto the loaner.

She notices that the loaner phone has an old list of contacts that wasn't hers, and pictures she didn't take along with all of her stuff.

Her new phone comes in, and they transfer everything to the new phone, they take the old phone back, the end, right? No.

She gets a call from a friend saying that their brother got a loaner phone, and all her stuff is still in there, along with the last persons before her.

So she calls the store and tells them she wants the stuff erased when it comes back to the store.

Few weeks later, another friend calls and says that they too got a loaner phone, same deal, my GF's stuff, the stuff before, and the stuff from the last loaner... Still on the phone.

so apparently the phone never got even turned back on and checked out as it left 3 different customers at the store before loaning it out again, and everyone who had the phone, their stuff was still there.

Serious breach of customer confidentiality, three times (at least).

My GF is calling the regional manager tomorrow. What would you do/ask of them?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Apologies for starter, and in writing, if possible. Just in case someone manages to use the data for malicious purposes later on. Chances are remote but you never know.

If you meant should they compensate you, well, that's a tough one. Is it an agent for T-Mobile, Verizon or one of those phone carriers? Then you can probably ask for a free month or something. If it's a third party, then I'm not sure what you can ask for.

That type of stories of people being careless with other people's data makes me furious I'm sure it's really frequent, too.

I would complain and if they continue the practice, I'd tell the Better Business Bureau.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Be irate, like you should be -- but in control; see what happens. Just be firm, and don't settle for "sorry" garbage. Get results to ensure this never happens again to you or others. I'd see what the BBB could do as well. I hate how people would think it's no big deal, like this agent obviously thinks. I've been a victim of identity theft twice, and I have always taken my security very seriously.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
No matter what the outcome from this situation, people that get loaner phones shouldn't put any personal information on them. Also, erase everything before you give it back to the store. If you want something done right do it yourself.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
^ that, its called a hard reset and every phone ive ever had(lots) has the option right there in the menu.

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
dude, your girlfriend's phone gets around. I agree 100% with altitude, and would reread the contract to see if they threw liability on you for any information stored on the phone. Chances are there is only one person to get "irate" at, and they don't work for a cell phone company.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
you must be careful when dealing with your personal stuff.

Go to the media and see if you get any hush money.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin (1937 - 2008)
brotan1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Build an ark.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Wait, cell companies do loaner phones?? What company are you getting it through? I've never heard of such a thing! It's either the new phone is in stock and you get it then, or you wait till it is in stock with whatever existing phone you had at the time...

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
She has no one but herself to blame. Privacy is your responsibility. I had a company phone and I wrote down every number and then erase it from the phone before turning it in.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
yeah, I agree with yaris-me. While it could've been a company policy or agreement in which the data would've been erased, she should have not been so careless with that info. Like using your password for Yarisworld at a public internet access point. It's just a good idea to watch your back, shred your papers, delete cookies/history... etc
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

That's ludicrous. I'm sick of everyone putting the onus on the individual. At what point does corporate responsibility come into play here?

What if this was your 80 year old grandmother? Maybe you set up all the contact information in there for her, because she barely knows how to use it. Then what if there was a problem with the phone -- she brings it there to get it fixed and they just frisk it away and do whatever with the information. She wouldn't know any better -- then who's fault would it be?

And don't anybody write some asinine comment about how your grandmother uses her cellphone so good and knows everything about it.

Companies HAVE to be held responsible for their actions, especially if they deal ROUTINELY with sensitive information. Give me a break, please.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Companies HAVE to be held responsible for their actions, especially if they deal ROUTINELY with sensitive information. Give me a break, please.
I cannot argue that point. Companies need to have some resonspibilities and liabilities.

But, it never can hurt, and is a wise idea, to help protect yourself by doing what you can to avoid PII (personally identifying information) from getting to someone who shouldn't have it.

I think what most people are saying on here is that you shouldn't just rely on the company to protect you (even though they should). You can do a much better job of protecting yourself than the company can do.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
That sucks, I would also make sure you have proof. Contact whoever has the phone currently and have all you guys come in with it and show the store it. Otherwise they may just say "no that can't have happened."
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
She has no one but herself to blame. Privacy is your responsibility. I had a company phone and I wrote down every number and then erase it from the phone before turning it in.
You're right, the individual should have erased the data, but privacy is *everybody's* responsibility. I still think the guy at the phone company was negligent , or sloppy.