Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
To those with amps in your trunk/rear...

I've got almost everything run for my amp, however about the time that I started to run my power (which I know I prob should have done first), but I'm not really sure as to where i should be running the cable from the batt to the amp (in trunk) any suggestions? where did u run yours?

I'm busting out my service manual right now to skim for any openings...

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
My Amp is under the front passenger seat
For me I removed the passenger seat, ran 4awg wire through the firewall on the driver side and under the center consol then under the carpet from under the consol to the area under the seat.
From the amp, my speaker wires run under the carpet to the passenger side along the rocker into the back behind the plastic pannel.
I have a set of binding post/banana post attached to the plastic pannel so I can simply plug in and unplug the sub box speaker wires into the pannel for split second sub box removal for when I need the extra space.

You could run it the power wire strait down the passenger side along the rocker under the carpet.
I opted to put the amp under the seat for two reasons
#1 it's out of the way, completely hidden and not taking up any space.
#2 because it's cooler there in the summer when the A/C is on.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I routed the Power and remote wire directly down the middle of my hatch. The power wire and remote wires are run under the carpet, under the center console/shifter/e-brake trim, and pull through under the middle of the seat bottom of the rear seats.

That way, I was able to run dedicated speaker/RCA wires on the left and ride sides of the car using the scuff gards and b-pillar garnish for routing, and the signal wires can be run on the left/right sides of the rear seat bottom beneath the plastic trim.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna tackle this tonight. I'm gonna run the power down the center of the car, as I prefer the idea of running the speaker independent speaker wire on each side...

I was thinking of the placing the amp under the passenger seat, but if I ever decide I want to add subs, I like the idea of being able to have all the extra audio equitment in one location.

Once again thanks for the info/advice

will work for parts
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna tackle this tonight. I'm gonna run the power down the center of the car, as I prefer the idea of running the speaker independent speaker wire on each side...

I was thinking of the placing the amp under the passenger seat, but if I ever decide I want to add subs, I like the idea of being able to have all the extra audio equitment in one location.

Once again thanks for the info/advice
This is the best way to do it if you plan to replace your stock speakers and wish to power them with an amplifier.

Ideally you would run your power + remote wire down one side of the car, and your RCA + speaker (I call these two wires the signals) on the other side to keep them separated.

This becomes unfeasible when you plan to rewire all your doors with new speaker wire as you cannot run your speaker wires along with the power.

Therefore the best way, imho, is to run the power + remote wire directly through the center of the car under carpets, under the center console, and under the center of the back seat bottom. You can fish it under the back seat bottom and pull from the trunk area once you've routed everything under the carpet. I didn't have to cut any carpet while I was doing this and you shouldn't have to as well. The power wire will run to the battery via the AC drain hole under the passenger's dash area.

You now have open left/right areas of the car to run your signals. You may or may not know this, but you can run your RCA wires next to speaker wires.. Sorry if I sound pretentious but I just thought I'd throw that in there to make it easier for you to visualize your install.

Summary:
Power + Remote: Run it under carpet and panels in the CENTER
RCA + Speaker: Run them on the left or right sides, or separate them

For me, I ran my wiring like this:

CENTER: Power + Remote
LEFT: RCA 2CH, FL Tweeter, FL Woofer, RL Speaker
RIGHT: RCA 4CH, RF Tweeter, RF Woofer, RR Speaker

Hope this helps!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

its does thanks for the info.. its raining today so I dont know if I'm going to be able to finish today :-( oh well.

will work for parts
Old 09-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Got it installed and all working, what a difference. Thanks again for the advice. I just have to "finalize" my wiring in the trunk around the amp so that its all nice a pretty. If I get it looking nice I'll post a pic.

just wondering, does anyone know if I'd be able to use the rca out and put that into another amp for a sub?

will work for parts
Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
Got it installed and all working, what a difference. Thanks again for the advice. I just have to "finalize" my wiring in the trunk around the amp so that its all nice a pretty. If I get it looking nice I'll post a pic.

just wondering, does anyone know if I'd be able to use the rca out and put that into another amp for a sub?
Do you mean the RCA preout from our head unit or from the amp?

Depending on your amplifier, it could allow you to output low/hi sound levels to another amp.

If it's from your head unit, and you have more than 2 pre outs, then definitely yes.

I'm guessing it's the preout from the amp, which I would need more info to give you a better answer.

E.g.
Which preouts from your headunit did you connect to your installed amp?
Does the preout on your installed amp have a HI/LO pass filter?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #9
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Good info bigsky2.

1) Where exactly did you mount your amp?
2) Will foot traffic in the rear seat eventually damage the power wire under the carpet or is it protected somehow?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #10
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Do you mean the RCA preout from our head unit or from the amp?

Depending on your amplifier, it could allow you to output low/hi sound levels to another amp.

If it's from your head unit, and you have more than 2 pre outs, then definitely yes.

I'm guessing it's the preout from the amp, which I would need more info to give you a better answer.

E.g.
Which preouts from your headunit did you connect to your installed amp?
Does the preout on your installed amp have a HI/LO pass filter?
I'm using the stock hu. so the amp does take hi/lo - its a pioneer gm-6200f (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...568903,00.html)

will work for parts