Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Alex.Laprise

Drives: Yaris
Question Stick vs automatic

I was wondering if it makes a huge difference.
Never drove a stick before and I'm not sure on if I should get a stick or not.
Concerned about the traffic and all that crap.

Also, is the yaris ''sportier'' to drive with a stick or theres not much of a difference
Alex.Laprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Here's a good one for you to read;

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34641

I have an auto. There are certainly times when I wish it was a stick, but am satisfied the bulk of the time with A/T.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
razingman

Drives: 2007 ls liftback 5 door manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Laprise View Post

Also, is the yaris ''sportier'' to drive with a stick or theres not much of a difference
Everything is sportier with a stick...
Get a standard. Don't be lazy with an auto
razingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
My sister just bought a '12 with an auto and I have a '10 with a manual.

After driving her car for a little bit, I can say that I'm glad that I bought mine with a 5 speed!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
And for everyone that prefers the manual, you'll find someone else that prefers the automatic.

It's down to personal choice, so let's not have this drawn-out debate again when the truth of the matter is that it's all opinionated.

Test drive both and see which you prefer. I have autos in all of my vehicles (sans the motorcycles) as I prefer them. I test drove both versions of the Yaris and went with the auto. Did the same with my Jeep Wrangler.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Laprise View Post

If you've never driven a manual transmission vehicle. Do not buy one before driving one first, so that you can make certain that's what you want.

Personally, I can't stand automatics and will never own a vehicle with one... but that's only one individual preference. Lots of people love autos and can't stand sticks.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I totally wish my stick was an AT ... sorry Yaris stick lovers but the stick in the Yaris is a pain in the ass. (Maybe it is just my car .. but I find starting from a standstill to be difficult at best. Other than that .. it is fine) Maybe someone has a suggestion ?

For those that will disagree with me ... I have been driving a stick for 29 years so I know what I am doing. I have never had an automatic vehicle .. but I do wish my Yaris was the first.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And for everyone that prefers the manual, you'll find someone else that prefers the automatic.

It's down to personal choice, so let's not have this drawn-out debate again when the truth of the matter is that it's all opinionated.

Test drive both and see which you prefer. I have autos in all of my vehicles (sans the motorcycles) as I prefer them. I test drove both versions of the Yaris and went with the auto. Did the same with my Jeep Wrangler.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Cheers! M2
+1

It really does come down to your own personal preferences. Try out both and see what you like better is the best advice you can get.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Deliberately drive a manual gearbox Yaris in an inner city traffic jam to find out if it is for you.

All opinions are meaningless until you drive your car in the most demanding circumstances you could encounter. Accelerate and decelerate, in forward and in reverse, with full steering lock while manoeuvring obstacles. Test yourself to know if it suits your lifestyle, every day.

Regarding whether the Yaris is "sporty". Not really. The Mazda 2/Ford Fiesta and Honda Fit are more exciting to drive. The Yaris is the most practically designed and easiest to maintain. It's nicer looking too, if that's a deal-breaker to you.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I haven't had any problems with the starting out from a stop, but I learned to drive a stick in "the city" in a long bed truck going through "the city" everyday.

but any way, as generally good idea it is up to
1. your driving style( you drive "sporty" get a manual)
2. where you drive the most ( heavy city driving in bumper to bumper traffic, get an Auto)
3. if you think it is worth the extra money to have an Auto (don't remember the Yaris numbers but usually 500 to 3000 more for an Auto)
4. What are you more comfortable with/ used to?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Also try to take an AT yaris to the steepest hill that you can find in your area... This is where I believe the manual has a distinct advantage.

I wish more people got the MT in order to ensure that it won't be pulled off the market (I've been reading some unsettling reports about car-makers considering this for some reason).
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Also try to take an AT yaris to the steepest hill that you can find in your area... This is where I believe the manual has a distinct advantage.

I wish more people got the MT in order to ensure that it won't be pulled off the market (I've been reading some unsettling reports about car-makers considering this for some reason).
At the dealership I was told that stick shifts are only 1.5% of the total Yaris sales this year... but I've also read that there is a slight overall trend in all makes of going back to manual transmission vehicles for economic reasons.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
razingman

Drives: 2007 ls liftback 5 door manual
Yea if you live in a big busy city auto is nice but it is 1k more you are paying, even for used. Glad canada has a decent amount of manual drivers
razingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Rent or borrow a car for one day with a manual, learn how (preferably with a friend who can coach you) to drive it, and then decide if it's worth the trouble.

It IS an extra effort to drive a manual, but some people like the addition control over the vehicle, and they also like the more direct connection to the car and to the road while driving.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I'm in the drive a stick club but if you don't like driving a stick you'll likely never like driving a stick. The only auto yaris I've ever driven was a hateful experience to say the least but that's only because I can't stand low powered cars with autos.

When I bought my car in 08 there was only 8 in the whole of southern California that were stick and all of them were base models.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
XFACOR
Banned

Drives: 1nz-fe
I thinks it's going to boil down to personal choice. You gotta drive it, so you may as well love it. what ever it is you choose.

Here is the one thing, if you like mods and ever intend on doing a power adder. Like a turbo or S/C you will have better luck with a MT than you will a AT. There is just more stuff available.

Good luck either way.
XFACOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
But there is also the other argument that an auto allows you to concentrate more on traffic.

There's debates for both types of transmissions, but in the end you gotta try both and decide which works best for you. I am able to maintain a good pace in traffic with my auto and while steep hills are a challenge, it's to be expected in such a small-engined car. I honestly don't see how a manual transmission would be an advantage on a steep hill, if anything much like stop-and-go traffic, the auto would be preferable.

By the way, in competition offroading, more people are going with automatic transmissions due to advances. Same is true in high performance cars, the new autos shift faster than a manual. Those same developments mean the differences in gas mileage is nominal if any. I think the Yaris is rated the same or just 1 MPG off between the two transmissions.

Inasmuch as some folks hate to see it, it probably won't be long before the manual transmission will go the way of the rotary phone, VCRs, etc. Technology has surpassed any advantage they once had...

Cheers! M2
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
But there is also the other argument that an auto allows you to concentrate more on traffic.

There's debates for both types of transmissions, but in the end you gotta try both and decide which works best for you. I am able to maintain a good pace in traffic with my auto and while steep hills are a challenge, it's to be expected in such a small-engined car. I honestly don't see how a manual transmission would be an advantage on a steep hill, if anything much like stop-and-go traffic, the auto would be preferable.

By the way, in competition offroading, more people are going with automatic transmissions due to advances. Same is true in high performance cars, the new autos shift faster than a manual. Those same developments mean the differences in gas mileage is nominal if any. I think the Yaris is rated the same or just 1 MPG off between the two transmissions.

Inasmuch as some folks hate to see it, it probably won't be long before the manual transmission will go the way of the rotary phone, VCRs, etc. Technology has surpassed any advantage they once had...

Cheers! M2
Those actually aren't automatics, while they can be programmed to shift automatically there design and construction are nothing like a automatic transmission. Plus there are tons of downsides to using sequential/DSG/SCG ect transmissions like they are quite expensive to design and even more expensive to engineer to work correctly plus there is increased maintenance and they also have a limited group of people who know how to work on them due to their complexity.

It took VW over 2 years of recalls to get their DSG working correctly Ford is having issues with the DSG thats being issued in the fiesta, the Single Clutch design in the Lambo has trouble at low speeds Ferrari couldn't get the design working in their road cars for over 6 years the sequential design that Aston used was known for being made of glass. Most racers will use a dog box or a sequential since they get rebuilt every so often anyway and high end racers(factory teams) can use whatever they want since their budgets are much higher.

The main reasons sticks are going to go away is that most people don't know how to drive sticks or don't like driving sticks and they don't sell. No point in making a product that no one wants to buy.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote