Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
minicorolla

Drives: 2008 Sedan White
30,000 mile service, this should get you going

So I'm trying to get the dealership to do a 30K warrantee service.
They wanted to do some plan D or something. 305 bucks. I told them I didn't have an auto trans so they dropped it down to $239. Then I started with what do you do? Change the fluids in the radiator, engine, and tranny. inspect this and that. So I go out to my car and get the warrantee book and say I want this done as per my manual at 30K. 29.95 WTF? The guy there said "Oh it looks like an oil change to me" they check all the other stuff normally. So I don't need my trans oil or radiator fluid changed. I have a K&N Filter. What's right? I called another dealer (where I bought the car) and they wanted 329. I asked the girl that got my lucky call why are you trying to do all this stuff. Of course she doesn't have a clue. referred me to another rep that never called back.
I tried searching for similar threads here with no luck. Someone must have come across this before.
minicorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
yaris requires no services till 100k its just all oil changes.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Is "Plan D" their actual name for it? Let me know, my roomate is a toyota tech and he will give me the lowdown.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
It's a well-known fact that new-car dealerships hose people on services with fake "needs", to make up the lack of profits on new vehicles. That is, they add service-stuff that isn't required. That's how they make their money. I think this is why I initially stopped coming on YW, too many ignorant folks that get taken by the dealer, then come on here to vent, or comes on here venting about the dealer ripping people off. It's a blatantly obvious fraud, but dealerships need to survive somehow.

I also don't feel bad in the least bit for any sucker that gets taken by them, either. The very first thing you should do after buying a brand new car is to read the manual: All the service intervals and requirements are listed in there.

Last edited by tomato; 11-17-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: no need for that
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
I asked the girl that got my lucky call why are you trying to do all this stuff.
Easy. You have money. They want as much of it as they can get.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
It's a well-known fact that new-car dealerships hose people on services with fake "needs", to make up the lack of profits on new vehicles. That is, they add service-stuff that isn't required. That's how they make their money. I think this is why I initially stopped coming on YW, too many ignorant folks that get taken by the dealer, then come on here to vent, or comes on here venting about the dealer ripping people off. It's a blatantly obvious fraud, but dealerships need to survive somehow.

I also don't feel bad in the least bit for any sucker that gets taken by them, either. The very first thing you should do after buying a brand new car is to read the manual: All the service intervals and requirements are listed in there.

Sorry your YW experience hasn't been what you expected, but the OP couldn't care less about that.

You make a valid point, but it would be so much nicer if you could just say what you need to say without the negative tone, eh?

All questions are welcome. Not everybody is an expert at everything, and if people need help and want to ask the community, that's what forums are for! Be nice!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19918

Similar thread.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Not so fervent but I would have to agree I have yet to meet a Toyota service advisor who knows more about my car than I do.
Oil and filter changes, with air cleaner replacement (or cleaning with my K&N) is all this car needs for many miles. Changed the MT oil with MT-90 at 15k, and the usual tire rotation and rear brake adjustment. Spark plugs, coolant, do not need changing before 100k. Neither does the timing belt. There is nothing to lube on the chassis or suspension either.
These cars are simple, don't waste your money at the stealership unless there is a problem. Out of the 20 or so cars I have owned at one point or another over the years this car has got to be the EASIEST car to change the oil on. Literally takes 5 minutes. During one of those I found an axle seal leak, which was fixed under warranty, dealer treated me right and did it in one day. I will return to them for future warranty work, I found a good dealer going to stick with them but only for the absolute minimum work.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
minicorolla

H3LlIoN I'll let you know when I get my oil changed.
I understand the dealers have to make money. Just not why 10 times as much.
Toyota . com is getting back to me on the differences, too.
Thanks guys!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Maybe different north of 49th??

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
yaris requires no services till 100k its just all oil changes.
My 07 Sedan's service schedule requires a 32,000 km maintenance service..mostly changing fluids, filters, tire rotations, brake inspects, road test...230 bucks plus (Can.) vs 39 for the oil changes at my dealer!
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I think this is why I initially stopped coming on YW, too many ignorant folks that get taken by the dealer, then come on here to vent, or comes on here venting about the dealer ripping people off.
If you don't want to read about stuff like this you should not open threads titled "30,000 mile service, this should get you going".

Also it's not fraud, as long as they do what they claim they will. Also a lot of people do these things early anyway.
Nor is it just dealers: my brother had a quick-lube type place suggest that they change his diff fluid too (not a yaris) and that the manufacturer suggested such and such oil. His response was "the manufacturer also suggests not doing it for 40k more miles.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
It's very simple with these cars. The reason that they are so great is that for a mere $14K, you get a car that you get inside of and go until something becomes unsafe, noisy, unstable or it is noticibly running poorly. These cars are made to be disposable/consumable ecoboxes so DON'T touch them unless they call for it. Just change the oil frequently and you will have a car that goes forever!...and ever....and ever.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
minicorolla

H3LlIoN, I don't know if it's called plan "D" or what, they have a sheet of paper with four service schedules on it. It's the one with the tranny flush @ 30K if you have a auto which I don't. I think I'm going to do this one myself with some Redline or Amsoil in the manual and crankcase. I contacted Toyota . com they received the emal but no response yet. Does this help you out?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
I work at a dealer and trust me, if you can DIY your maintenance do it. Lube up the joints, replace your air filter, change your oil, and whatever else the toyota yaris book tells you. Flushes are BS and even most service people don't believe in them.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicorolla View Post
H3LlIoN, I don't know if it's called plan "D" or what, they have a sheet of paper with four service schedules on it. It's the one with the tranny flush @ 30K if you have a auto which I don't. I think I'm going to do this one myself with some Redline or Amsoil in the manual and crankcase. I contacted Toyota . com they received the emal but no response yet. Does this help you out?

Oh damn. Yeah, that's the one with like tranny flush, coolant flush, power steering flush, and something else I can't remember. The first time I ever saw this, I was visiting my roomate at his shop, and he was working on a black two door yaris. At the time, I didn't even know what a yaris was, let alone know that I would end up with one, and I asked him what the hell he was doing, as he had a pump stuck down in the power steering reservoir. I was curious, as I have a great deal of wrench time in over the years, and was clueless. He explained the service and such, then went on to say...

"I have no idea how these service managers talk these suckers in to this dumb shit."
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post

"I have no idea how these service managers talk these suckers in to this dumb shit."
Pretty easy: most people don't know any better, aren't curious about cars or don't have the time or the inclination to learn. They see "Toyota" on the sign, and they figure "hey, this guy works here, he probably knows what he's doing"
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
H3LlIoN

yeah...i guess it's different for us. Pretty much everyone in our lives has either been taught better, or is a gearhead, so they can't pull ANYTHING over on us.

For the rest of you, what you should walk away with is that flushes @ 30k are crap. Tell them if they wanna do it, they can do it under warranty.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Pretty easy: most people don't know any better, aren't curious about cars or don't have the time or the inclination to learn.
We also live in an area with a bloated average income, so they don't even care.