Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #127
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
You know you've done things right when your air filter is almost as large as your battery haha..

And Id have to imagine that the size of the filter definitely played a part in the sound.. I know when I went from the Dragon set up to a k&n with a little more surface area, it had a deeper growl.. It was definitely a pleasant surprise..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #128
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Yeah I mentioned that you were going to have to cut your intake pipe down, I had to do the same thing with mine. I do think that the larger filter has added just a bit more growl though especially since I still have the stock muffler( i need to do something about that) I think it pulls harder now but maybe that is just in my head.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #129
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
That cone filter fills that space really well.
Still got an OEM throttle body? You may want to swap it out for a compatible one that is perhaps less restrictive... 2¢
I'm happy with the stock one as I'm more of an economy driver than a high performance guy. Although it's lots of fun experimenting with flow design, both my wife and I basically drive the car like it's stock.

Last edited by tooter; 06-29-2012 at 06:54 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #130
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
You know you've done things right when your air filter is almost as large as your battery haha..

And Id have to imagine that the size of the filter definitely played a part in the sound.. I know when I went from the Dragon set up to a k&n with a little more surface area, it had a deeper growl.. It was definitely a pleasant surprise..
This one has no growl at all, and I'm not really sure why. There's sure no lack of filter surface area as that same filter will flow a big block V8 with a 4 inch intake!

I'm wondering if it is the really large super smooth velocity stack. I'll have to try making a video of the engine running with the stack alone just to find out. The filter element pops right off and on with just one simple screwband, while leaving everything else in place. That's what I really like about the design. Cleaning the filter will be a snap, and the element makes a perfect seal with the stack.

Last edited by tooter; 06-29-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #131
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
Yeah I mentioned that you were going to have to cut your intake pipe down, I had to do the same thing with mine. I do think that the larger filter has added just a bit more growl though especially since I still have the stock muffler( i need to do something about that) I think it pulls harder now but maybe that is just in my head.
Yeah, reality set in quickly the minute I stuck the filter under the hood. My exhaust already growls so I can't tell!

Basically half of the 90 degree on the intake is chopped off. I was concerned about the super short distance from the filter intake to the MAF sensor setting off the check engine light. But it's working perfectly fine. It's possible that the large smooth taper on the velocity stack isn't introducing any turbulence, so the MAF sensor is getting undisturbed readings even being just a few inches away.

Can't wait to do a dyno run. The engine is basically stock so the numbers will be unimpressive to be sure, but what I'm more interested in is the relative difference between the stock manifold and my craazy homemade concoction.

Oh, and I'll be sure to do videos of the dyno runs!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #132
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm happy with the stock one as I'm more of an economy driver than a high performance guy. Although it's lots of fun experimenting with flow design, both my wife and I basically drive the car like it's stock.
Something tells me the newly added growl will inexplicably make your feet heavier...
Your setup is very close to what I want to do with my car, so you bet I'll be watching that dyno chart very closely regardless of our different driving style/conditions.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #133
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Something tells me the newly added growl will inexplicably make your feet heavier...
I did drive 100 freeway miles today to make sure the engine was broken in enough for the dyno runs next week. Lots of 70 to 80+ mph. Flat out runs, one made it to 97mph. Let's face it, these cars are gutless! You can put your foot to the floor and time the acceleration with a calendar. The car exhaust sounds great, but nothing much is actually happening. I ride a motorcycle so I'm spoiled for performance.

What did suprize me is that the average mileage for the trip, even with half of it very heavy footed driving, was still an excellent 39.9 mpg.

Quote:
Your setup is very close to what I want to do with my car, so you bet I'll be watching that dyno chart very closely regardless of our different driving style/conditions.
As will I.
This dyno is just for the baseline so it won't be very exciting. I expect about 90 to 92WHP tops...

...and hope that the second set of runs are better than the first.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #134
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
90-92 would mean no gains, or even a bit of a loss, from existing "baseline" mods.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #135
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I am hoping that your dyno will be 100-105 as you have an intake, axle back, and header. this is similar to where I plan to end up as well. hopefully in about 2 months or so.

very interested in the intake manifold and what gains you see.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #136
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
90-92 would mean no gains, or even a bit of a loss, from existing "baseline" mods.
Well, it sure ~feels~ like it only has 90 to 92 horsepower.

But that's not a complaint, just an observation. I've always owned little cheap fun economy cars, because that's what I like to drive.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #137
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I am hoping that your dyno will be 100-105 as you have an intake, axle back, and header. this is similar to where I plan to end up as well. hopefully in about 2 months or so.
I'll find out this week. That's the fun of this... finding out.

Quote:
very interested in the intake manifold and what gains you see.
Same here. The bling factor is far more likely to exceed the performance factor.

Last edited by tooter; 06-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #138
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The slow car feeling is in the weight. Putting the car on a diet makes a big difference.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #139
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
^ agreed, my car hit 117mph like a little champ the other day (coming to the top of 4th gear) and that was before taking the seats out. And after the seats are out it feels lighter and a little quicker. But I have also changed out to Royal Purple performance motor oil, E3 spark plugs and have 36k miles on it so it is well broken in, plus the signature mods listed below. I'm hoping to have that magical 107whp but I will need to take it to a dyno to be sure of that.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #140
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Hell yeah gutted out makes a huge difference. I took out close to 100 lbs of interior

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #141
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
My sedan gets to over 100mph with not much effort...

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #142
tooter
play every day

I have to admit that the 97 was on an upgrade. I do believe that it could do 100 on the flat... if I had enough time to get there.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #143
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I wonder what my 0-100 is...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #144
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I wonder what my 0-100 is...
I use a calendar to time mine...

Do you have any tips for making a good accurate dyno run? What's the best tire pressure for the rollers?