Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Danyell151
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Seeking heellllp

Hello!

I recently bought a used 2007 Yaris sedan, (like 10 days ago) and it had been running great! I love it!

Except for this morning. It worked, and then two hours later it didn't. When I tried to start it, there was no sounds, no anything, it just didn't work. So we jumped it, and it worked! However the power steering had vanished. about 20 minutes later, I went out to try again, it took a couple seconds to start up (but it did start), and the power steering was back!

Does anyone know what the problem could be? it's been pouring a couple of days, if that means anything at all..

Thanks!
Danyell151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds to me like the battery may not be holding its charge. Try jumping it again and leaving it on for a few minutes.

As far as the power steering, check that all the plugs in the engine bay are securely fastened.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
id say get a new battery...for a used car thats probably drained all the way..but yah charge it keep it on for a while or drive for a hour..if it still dies then go back to where you bought it and ask for a new battery..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
it takes a few seconds for the power steering to kick in after you turn the key... not sure if thats your issue...

get that battery tested... you may have a bad battery or alternator on your hands.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Don't overlook the obvious. Check the positive and negative battery cables and make sure they are making a good connection. Take the cables loose and scrape the surface of the connectors and the posts of the battery so you can be sure they are clean and there isn't any corrosion interfering with the connection. A small wire brush would work well.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Little Pony View Post
Don't overlook the obvious. Check the positive and negative battery cables and make sure they are making a good connection. Take the cables loose and scrape the surface of the connectors and the posts of the battery so you can be sure they are clean and there isn't any corrosion interfering with the connection. A small wire brush would work well.
+1 on that, high humidity/moisture brings out the worst in battery connections,take em off the battery and clean them and the battery terminals till they almost shine. and also clean the grounding connection at the other end of the black ended battery cable.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If its the original battery, replace it. If you get three years from a battery, you've got your money's worth. If you live where it gets cold, you need a strong battery.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yaris power steering