Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
First Mod, come and give an opinion

Hello Everone,

After debadging the yaris and opening the dash panel to fix the power outlet, I felt the greatness of fixing and bonding with the car. Now I want more...

Because of my financial situation I will only be able to buy 1 product in the next couple of months. I was thinking about something I can learn myself and can hopefully get nice performance or visuals out of. I was thinking air intake, exhaust tip (my state doesn't allowd these, but a silent one shouldn't be a problem). I'm not looking to go all crazy, but rather make my car look like its "mine".
I'm hoping to stay around $100, for this mod. I will shell out more depending on which part it is, but it will take me more time to buy .

Please I'd you have any ideas post them here, think I should just wait and save more? Anything counts.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
djhuddy2442

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris hatchback
well for performance you may need to save up some Garm will be able to help you with that but for visual you need to take a look at PlastiDip its a very easy way to make your car your own...

heres mine done a little with it

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...size=960%2C291
djhuddy2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I wasn't aware that exhaust tips were illegal in VA, but I bought a large one at Walmart for fifteen bucks and it looks a heckuva lot better than the stock pipe just sticking out there...

It was one of the first mods I did to Sprocket.

And yes, that is snow in San Antonio. Happens about one every ten years or so...

Cheers! M2
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I wasn't aware that exhaust tips were illegal in VA, but I bought a large one at Walmart for fifteen bucks and it looks a heckuva lot better than the stock pipe just sticking out there...

It was one of the first mods I did to Sprocket.

And yes, that is snow in San Antonio. Happens about one every ten years or so...

Cheers! M2
I actually was seeing that exhaust tip might be a good small mod to do until I can save some bucks for the ones at micro image. Do you have any recommendations for a liftback 2010? hopefully not silent but not annoyingly loud?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhuddy2442 View Post
well for performance you may need to save up some Garm will be able to help you with that but for visual you need to take a look at PlastiDip its a very easy way to make your car your own...

heres mine done a little with it

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...size=960%2C291
I heard a couple of comments from people saying to avoid plastiDip on the car itself. Do you risk the paint coming off or something?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
An exhaust tip alone doesn't change the sound or the performance of the car. A bolt-on axle-back exhaust (two bolts, right in front of the passenger rear wheel) will open up a few horsepower, but they are louder than the stock exhaust system.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
An exhaust tip alone doesn't change the sound or the performance of the car. A bolt-on axle-back exhaust (two bolts, right in front of the passenger rear wheel) will open up a few horsepower, but they are louder than the stock exhaust system.
Oh noes, ricer mod?
I had a guess that an exhaust tip probably just adds visuals and sound. Guess its better to wait for axleback itself.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
My vote is for a rear SwayBar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Hello Everone,

After debadging the yaris and opening the dash panel to fix the power outlet, I felt the greatness of fixing and bonding with the car. Now I want more...

Because of my financial situation I will only be able to buy 1 product in the next couple of months. I was thinking about something I can learn myself and can hopefully get nice performance or visuals out of. I was thinking air intake, exhaust tip (my state doesn't allowd these, but a silent one shouldn't be a problem). I'm not looking to go all crazy, but rather make my car look like its "mine".
I'm hoping to stay around $100, for this mod. I will shell out more depending on which part it is, but it will take me more time to buy .

Please I'd you have any ideas post them here, think I should just wait and save more? Anything counts.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
This. You can install it in about 15 minutes if you have access to a car lift. If not, your stock jack can get you up on jackstands. A pair of 14mm wrenches (and/or sockets) is all you need for the bolts.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
This. You can install it in about 15 minutes if you have access to a car lift. If not, your stock jack can get you up on jackstands. A pair of 14mm wrenches (and/or sockets) is all you need for the bolts.
Does it only give handling performance? I'm completely new to car concepts, did a quick search and to my understanding sway bars help to stop sway on corners?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Actually, I've had several Yaris owners comment that this tip does change the sound of the exhaust slightly. I don't know why, but I hear it as well.

Maybe it somehow distorts the gases as they exit the pipe, I don't know; but there is a difference.

Still, I did it more for looks. It is a nice improvement at the back of the car!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
A big +1 on this one!
You can find other ideas on the Best/Worst Investments thread (check my sig).
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I did not need to lift the car when I installed my WhiteLine sway.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Cheapest and quite mods.

Light weight pulley and the sway bar.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
hatcback

Drives: Hatcback Blue
Looks nice mate
hatcback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
A big +1 on this one!
You can find other ideas on the Best/Worst Investments thread (check my sig).
Actually now that I think about it the short shifter and sway bar are needed mods.

The NST short shifter is what I will save up for due to its low price and simple installation.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
Going to add I did not lift my car for the rear sway either.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Actually now that I think about it the short shifter and sway bar are needed mods.

The NST short shifter is what I will save up for due to its low price and simple installation.
A relatively inexpensive and easy to install mod is a shift knob. Since your hand is on it so much when driving it changes the feel of the car quite a bit.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote