Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Ipad 2 is out so .... (not a sale's thread) ;)

Just in case any of you are interested

since the Apple iPad 2 just came out, Apple has put their original iPads on clearance ($100 off)

Check that out at the Apple store's website before they sell out if you are interested.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MjEzNTIzNjY

The new iPad looks pretty good (faster, a camera, a little lighter and thiner) but still no flash.

Anyway, just a tip in case any of you are interested.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I'd be interested to know if the folks on this forum that bought the first one, have found it useful enough to upgrade to the slightly better version.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
whoa not 100$ off we should be oooing and ahhing and thanking Steve for his good and kind gesture....NOT

100$ off a piece of kit that costs up to 800$ is peanuts. its an overpriced piece of chinese components which costs them about 10$ to make. sorry not impressed

mwaahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I'd be interested to know if the folks on this forum that bought the first one, have found it useful enough to upgrade to the slightly better version.
It's useful to me but I don't see the need to upgrade to the newer and shiner model.

Yes, the new version is slightly improved, said to be twice as fast, lighter (the weight of the iPad is a bit of a problem when you hold it for extended periods of time, your hand and wrist get tired) but still, I have *no desire* to upgrade to another iPad.

I feel that the Xoom (with Android Honeycomb) out there is already a worthy competitor to the iPad and personally, my next tablet is going to be a Xoom 2 or 3 (when I'm ready and when it's ready) or whatever is out there at the time. I would prefer an HTC device, because I'm thoroughly impressed with what they've done with phones so far. I prefer the flexibility of Android myself, not that I don't enjoy my iPad as it is, with its strengths and obvious limitations, but Android IMO is going to be the standard because it's far, far, far more flexible than Apple's OS. My .02 c of course.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

PK, I knew you'd react that way.

I only posted the link because I think an iPad for $399 is better than an iPad for $499. Out here, the $100 difference covers the tax and the Apple case and your lunch when you come out of the Apple store, and maybe even the trip home, so it's something ;)

(or a rear sway bar + something else?)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I bought two (one for my wife and one for me) on release day last year. We both still use them daily, and keep finding more uses for them. I jailbroke them, which makes them a bit more flexible. For example, I installed "frash" which is a port of Flash 10.x from Android. It allows most flash based web sites to work fine, but doesn't support flash games or movies.

My daughter wanted an iPad for her birthday, and decided to wait for the iPad2, instead of getting the current model on her actual birthday. I watched the event today and am glad she waited. I am hoping that when she gets it that I can fight the urge to upgrade mine.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
the camera is a nice upgrade.

I resisted the urge to get one because of the lack of a camera.... I would love to video chat on it ...

with the new ipad having a camera I may have to resist the urge...

the next one will probably be HD and flash enabled flash.

ugh!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Another utterly useless Apple product IMO, just like the new MacBook released a couple weeks ago. I just find it pathetic how Steve Jobs preys on the very impressionable (and most who don't yet understand the concept of NECESSITY) just so they can pay his bills. There's the new "American Dream" right there...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
why wont they just add everything in one shot instead of leaing it bit by bit
Gotta make a profit?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
the updates to the I2 are nice and all, but why in the hell would they put an HDMI out and NOT bump up the resolution???? Huge fail on that one. There is also already a lot floating about the RAM not being up to spec possibly? IDK. I just got my iPad 2 weeks ago. I paid 200 bucks for the 64GB without 3G. It is a fun toy, but I would NEVER pay the full price. It just isn't robust enough for 800 bones IMHO.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Is this out in stores? I am curious to see how it looks in person
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

March 11, release date.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I bought two (one for my wife and one for me) on release day last year. We both still use them daily, and keep finding more uses for them. I jailbroke them, which makes them a bit more flexible. For example, I installed "frash" which is a port of Flash 10.x from Android. It allows most flash based web sites to work fine, but doesn't support flash games or movies.

My daughter wanted an iPad for her birthday, and decided to wait for the iPad2, instead of getting the current model on her actual birthday. I watched the event today and am glad she waited. I am hoping that when she gets it that I can fight the urge to upgrade mine.
Hmmm... now that's an idea. Maybe I will jailbreak mine when the warranty period is up.

would she know if you subsituted yours ? ;) Yeah, probably . Yeah, you might get serious envy there, Scott

It's not so much the camera that makes me envious, it's the "lighter" part and "twice as fast" but not enough to make me wanna trade in, though.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
So what exactly does an iPad do that something else doesn't do already? That's all I wanna know.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

PK: Android phone + android tablet => should be able to tether no problem, no? ;)

Until then, my WiFi-only iPad is just fine for my needs.

I'll admit I got pangs of regrets when their notebook came out, I told myself that if I had waited a little bit, I could have gotten a better device for just a little bit more money, but then I probably would have had pangs of regrets anyway no matter what I bought, that's just the way it goes with technology, you're only on top of the food chain for a couple of months if that, and then, bam, V 2 is out and your device is yesterday's news, just like your comic strip up there.

Luckily, Apple stuff doesn't devaluate all that much. You'd be surprised but I put a couple of ancient iPods on eBay (one of them was broken, advertised "as is") and I got pretty good money for it. Some people want these devices for parts, or whatever.

Last edited by tomato; 03-03-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: *a bit more money
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

@Frownonfun: an iPad doesn't do anything that another device doesn't do (unless it's app specific), but it does it in a different way.

It's like this. Imagine you have a bike, a car, and a minivan. And you want to go to the store get groceries. So, if it's a really nice day and you just want a loaf of bread and the store is nearby you might say, what the heck, I'll use my bike. If the store is pretty far and you wanna buy 500 pounds of dog food, then you'll take the van (or the Yaris ;). Technically you're doing the same thing, but using a different mechanical device to get it done. Same thing with the iPad.

For me the iPad has a huge advantage of portability while being big enough that I can see a website in its entirety (my phone is small and strains the eyes after a while). The interface (compared to a windows laptop) is a dream. It's very portable. I can take on the plane without having to worry about battery life during a 10-hour trip (not so with my laptop or my Android phone) and without having to boot it up for security (it boots immediately, if they ask). Also, it's flash so nothing spins, nothing warms up, no lid falls on your face when you're trying to read in bed. It's just a question of preference, I guess.

I'll admit, I use the iPad mostly at the end of the day, when I want to read in bed and I can't stand sitting at the computer anymore. The display is much crisper, and it's easier to hold and I just kind of enjoy the device. I watch Netflix in bed. I play on the couch with it. I toss it in my purse. My laptop is much, much, much heavier and requires a ton of accessories and also the battery doesn't last long at all.

Last but not least, you operate the tablet with your fingers. You look and you touch what you see and it moves. It's a different user experience. Between you and me, I find the tablet experience nothing short of amazing (I've had to use computers since the days of mainframe) so yeah, I really, really enjoy the tablet. But maybe that's just me? ;)

hope that helps. just my .02 anyway :)
Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

PS. I got the cheaper model, the 16GB and Wi-Fi only. I think it's the best value for the iPad. If you think you're going to keep it a while, then get one with a bigger memory (32GB). I would not pay $800 for a tablet though. At that price, I can get a computer.

(I think CTScott has the bigger iPad but for him, it's OK because he uses his ***A LOT*** , for a great deal of practical uses and applications. So he gets his money's worth. But for someone like me who basically mostly use it for convenience, well, I do just fine with my miniPad ;)

Anyway, that's why I'm happy to wait until HTC, Samsung and everybody gets all their ducks in a row. Even Blackberry has made a little tablet and it looks pretty cool too, although it's said to need some work. I think in a couple of years, we'll have have tablets (in addition to a desktop AND a smartphone) and this whole discussion will make us all laugh ;)

Last edited by tomato; 03-03-2011 at 02:27 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

PK, that comic strip is positively hilarious. where did you get it?! it's really spot on!