Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmm my water pump failed again!!!! Could it be the pulley?!?!

So I just had my water pump changed less than a month ago. Now it is failed again. Could it be cause of the NST pulley? Non dampned vibration at high rpm killing the water pump? Cause i do drive my car to redline every single day. I am afraid if i take it back this time they will claim it has to do with my aftermarket parts.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I've had my NST pulley on for about 6 months and 5000 miles. No problems yet. I haven't heard of any other reported problems either. It may have more to do with the abuse (red-lining) you are giving to the engine.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Probably abuse. I've had my pulley on for over 50k miles and I'm doin fine.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
it's the pulley.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

If that's the case, then why is this the first problem with the water pump with hundreds of thousands (if not a million) miles by everyone using the pulleys? Redlining the crap out of a car is more likely to cause stuff to break than a pulley.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
If that's the case, then why is this the first problem with the water pump with hundreds of thousands (if not a million) miles by everyone using the pulleys? Redlining the crap out of a car is more likely to cause stuff to break than a pulley.
if you say so.

the ratio of water pump failures stock vs pulley tells the tale..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
if you say so.

There are definitely quite a few people who've had water pump failures with the aftermarket pulleys.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

The only water pump issues I've ever had was with the ol' '71 Ford. Any mechanics you could take it to that might be able to chime in? I just find it odd I've put over 50k miles with a full pulley setup on (not overdrive) without issue. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
if you say so.

Could it be due to people over tightenning the BELTS
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
I beg to differ. This is a typical mistake people make, just because there is a correlation between A and B it doesn't mean A caused B or vice versa.

Let me explain with an example: studies show that households with more books have smarter kids (correlation between books and kids), so a mayor in Illinois thought he'll simply give away free books and make kids smarter. Needless to say, the plan didn't work. Because it's not the number of books that cause the kids to be smart, it's their parents' education, status, emphasis on school, etc. And those families are likely to have more books to begin with. So, there is another parameter C that causes both A and B to go together.

Back to our situation: people with aftermarket pulleys have more water pump failures than the ones driving stock (that's the correlation). So some people incorrectly infer that the pulleys must cause the failure.

Imagine this: people who install aftermarket parts and tune their cars are more likely to drive their cars more aggressively, therefore putting more stress on their parts than those driving stock (grandma, grandpa, uncle Jimmy).

Just remember the basic principle: correlation does not imply causation. For more details check it out on Wikipedia: Correlation does not imply causation
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
I beg to differ. This is a typical mistake people make, just because there is a correlation between A and B it doesn't mean A caused B or vice versa.

Let me explain with an example: studies show that households with more books have smarter kids (correlation between books and kids), so a mayor in Illinois thought he'll simply give away free books and make kids smarter. Needless to say, the plan didn't work. Because it's not the number of books that cause the kids to be smart, it's their parents' education, status, emphasis on school, etc. And those families are likely to have more books to begin with. So, there is another parameter C that causes both A and B to go together.

Back to our situation: people with aftermarket pulleys have more water pump failures than the ones driving stock (that's the correlation). So some people incorrectly infer that the pulleys must cause the failure.

Imagine this: people who install aftermarket parts and tune their cars are more likely to drive their cars more aggressively, therefore putting more stress on their parts than those driving stock (grandma, grandpa, uncle Jimmy).

Just remember the basic principle: correlation does not imply causation. For more details check it out on Wikipedia: Correlation does not imply causation
Wisdom
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
belt might be too tight..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
lol @ the denial.

Guys... if aftermarket pulleys were a 100% win/win situation, we would have lightened pulleys stock.

Think about it.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
I personally think it has to do with installation of the pulley. Check the belt it may be slightly misaligned or too tight.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I just notified MikeNST about this issue. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Maybe we can all agree it is the combination of the pulley or belt too tight and the harsh driving?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
rhino5

Drives: '08 hatchback, '90 325i 'e30'
Just a lightweight pulley or an underdrive pulley?

Pulley driven water pumps are really that mysterious, mechanically there's not much to fail. I'd blame shitty casting or belt tension before blaming pulley ratios.
rhino5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well to me it just seems very strange within a month the water pump failed. And my original water pump did not fail until after the pulley was installed as well. When i changed the pulley i marked the altenator position with a white out so that it was isntaleld in the exact same position as factory. I am going to go check the tightness of the belt after the water pump was instaleld by the dealer. If it was put on way to tight and compounded with how i drive i would say that would be the cause this time. Or a combination of the pulley and overtightend.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote