Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Good advice for new car owners...

So for those of you like me who bought thier very first car. Some good advice is to purchase atleast 1inch 3 ring binder. Hole punch all your service records and keep them in order in the binder. Also get a diveder and keep a section in the back for all your mods with reciptes. One when you have any issues and the dealer asks for your service records you can just hand them the binder. Two when your ready to sell the vehicle. That binder adds a lot of value to the car. The new owner knows that they are getting a very well maintained car. Also they can see the value of all the mods you have put into the vehicle.

Just some thoughtful advice. I am saying this cause i just made mine now and i cant find some of my recipts lol so nows the time to start yours if you dont have one yet.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Good advice. A binder full of receipts could mean 500-1000 extra bucks come selling time.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Awesome suggestion.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Thanks i only have 1 reciept, but what kind of reciepts and records should i keep in there? Ones that i wrote myself, or actual records from dealerships, and any mechanic place?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
everything
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Great idea.....I'm coming up on my first 5k so I will definitely keep the receipts, and write the date/mileage, etc etc.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Keeping records can make a huge $$$ difference when you try to sell your car to a private party. Not only that but it helps if you keep your car a long time and cannot remember what you had done years ago
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Seems like a good Idea , but the the dealership already has service records for your car . Keeping all the receipts for your mods won't get you more $ . An all original car is worth more than a modded car .
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Seems like a good Idea , but the the dealership already has service records for your car
True. But for those of us who do not go to the dealership, I say keep the records anyway.

I bought a number of used cars in the past, and I almost always tend to go with the person being able to show me service records (well, unless the car is next to new, but even so). Ultimately the mechanic's test is the deciding factor, of course, when buying a used car (well, unless you ARE the mechanic ) but when you have to preselect, someone being able to show you service records has more credibility than someone saying "oh sure, I did all the oil changes on time but I didn't keep the paper work"
Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
How many peeps do you know that actually verify the authenticity of the receipts ? I mean I can print a receipt to say anything .....
Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
How many peeps do you know that actually verify the authenticity of the receipts ? I mean I can print a receipt to say anything .....
Well, that's true, too. Like I said, the mechanical inspection usually is the deciding factor. Hey, I just gave my opinion.

Peace!