Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #289
jronald

Drives: Black NCP91R
I've made a post (again)...!

and what else could I say.. complaining will gets me nowhere but raising my posts number.. LOL
jronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #290
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtevin View Post
So there is nothing at all that might have set this guy off? One day, he was Mr. Model Poster, the next day, he says he will hack the site? I am asking because I am making a tiny, tiny bit of progress following the IP trail.
no he was basically just a troll from the get go...he would 'act' as if he wanted to add valuable input, then unprovoked, he would pm different members scrutinizing and belittling them, rather, attempting to belittle/beguile them. he would make irrational postings and the such just an all out troll...
good luck if you are trying...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #291
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
He has been warned, banned, begged for forgiveness, allowed back, warned again, and banned again, and then keeps trying to stir things up under dummy accounts, feeling he's been persecuted unfairly, even showing up today to gloat about the hacking situation...

Cheers
are you serious? he showed up today? thread was deleted?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #292
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
sucks yw was hacked, but at the same time, i almost didn't notice anything. props to the ones that take care of this site.

edit: ok nvm. now i see the damage. haha. shit.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #293
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Before I read the whole thread, THOSE OF YOU WHO DID NOT LOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS CHANGE YOUR PW ASAP!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #294
Dess

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback Pearl Black!
Wow, I been gone a long time. And back to 30 posts I am >.<
But a big thanks to the mods/admins to get this back up and going!!!

Rebuild! Weeee can doooo eeeeet!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #295
musiclysweet18

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Send a message via AIM to musiclysweet18
Thumbs down Im sad

I never get on this site but I used to a lot when I first got my car, but im very upset about this. This was a great website for the Yaris lovers everywhere! Well I will try to help as much as I can now
musiclysweet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #296
dlinkwit27

Ok, I have read this entire thread, and I have something to say. First off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyachris84 View Post
This is like 9/11 for yarisworld... lol

Damn terrorist!
No it is not. Thousands of people lost their lives in that event. Thousands more have died in the effects of that event. What was lost here? Some threads and post counts. A few numbers on a website. For those of us who actually lost someone or knows someone who lost someone in the real 9/11 or the wars that followed (no matter whether or not you support them) this is an extremely ignorant and offensive comment.

To the admin: We need to know what all is missing. IP Logs, passwords, personal messages? The members of this board need to know what sort of personal information was compromised. I strongly advise everyone to change their password if their account was kept alive, and to use a different one if you need to re-register. The same goes with e-mail addresses.

To the vendors: The members here would appreciate it if you stay, but also please understand the administrator's point of view also. While I do not know the exact details behind the payments, the way it looks from the outside is that as a financial contributor, the vendors contributed very little to the upkeep of the site. The fact is that the admin could potentially make more money by using google ads or another service. It is his site, and he has every right to use it as he sees fit.

Likewise, it is the vendors' money and if they wish to take their business elsewhere, that is their right. I would strongly encourage them to look at the member support they receive here. While you may lose a sub forum and banner ads, the admin has not specifically stated that you cannot continue to post your products here. So, I would suggest sticking around, advertise using your sig, and when you have a new product or group buy, make a thread about it. I highly doubt that the number of customers you get drops significantly due to lack of a specific forum section.

Not only that, but look at your cost benefit analysis. How many purchases need to be made to make up for your payment to the board? Again, I am not claiming to know the details of the agreement, but if your website is configured properly, you can easily track what visits originated from this site, and what they bought. Also, not to be cynical, but how many boards are there really for advertising for a Yaris?

While the hacking was unfortunate, it was only that. This is a board. Life goes on. Nobody's car was actually stolen, nobody but the admin was harmed (yet), so life goes on. Quit worrying about your post counts, the admin can restore them if he really needs to. Go on about your life and move on.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #297
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Is there some reason a lot of members changed user names?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #298
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinkwit27 View Post
Before I read the whole thread, THOSE OF YOU WHO DID NOT LOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS CHANGE YOUR PW ASAP!
Why would i need to change my password? and why have a lot of members changed their user names?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #299
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is there some reason a lot of members changed user names?
Prolly just people bored with their old usernames...

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #300
YarisBueller
Administrator

Just catching up on the nights posts and well said everyone! Its great to see the vast majority of ppl ready to rebuild. Theres no sense in trying to beat each other up over this as the only people that loose is our community and the people who win are the people who like to see harm to the community. We are where we are and have to live with it. Again to the people who want me to fry over this, I have a tremendous amount of pain and guilt over this and a few black and blue marks on my fists from pounding the walls. But at this point, being angry isnt what helps the site get back online and running, being focused on the task at hand is.

On the vendors issue, I can say for sure its during times of trouble like this that the people with integrity stand up and offer help (some with big monetary donations) and others just act selfish and whine. Only 1 vendor has asked for his money back and got it back; the rest have all said they want to stay and its notable that some really stood up for the community!

The issue of what was compromised. I don't think the hacker took a copy of the forum database for himself since it was nearly 3GB in size and to transfer something that large would require SSH and or FTP. And neither SSH or FTP was used to get in. So it would seem nothing was taken in terms of email addresses or PMs. What was probably done was a MySQL attack where he was able to wipe out the databases using the server against itself basicly.

What we have planned/done. So far all the software has been upgraded and/or downgraded to more secure versions and i'm lining up an entirely new server for us to use which adds not only computing power but also a higher grade of service provider who can give us additional secuity features. This move to a new computer will take some time since I want to let the dust settle on this issue before attempting a move of the entire forum to a new computer. We also have outsourced daily backups to offsite locations so our data is secure from this point forward.

Thanks again to everyone who has stood up, been vocal, united and have begun to recreate alot of the lost information. This kind of effort is something i've only seen on YW and really will benefit everyone on this forum.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #301
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Hurray backups! Boooo hackers!

Sucks now, but it'll get better.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #302
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
May I ask which vendor decided to leave. Also, I noted that kargoboy reposted but his business was YarisUniverse if I'm not mistaken. What a shame....felt like 9-11 all over again.

Okay upon further review delete about Kargoboy guess he decided to change to this instead of YarisUniverse.....My bad

Last edited by Klink10; 10-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #303
dlinkwit27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why would i need to change my password? and why have a lot of members changed their user names?
Because depending on what was taken they could have had a list of member names and passwords, which would mean they could take your account at a later date, or if you use the same password for multiple accounts with that name, they could use that to break into your e-mail, AIM, other boards, etc.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #304
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
This really blows. My post count dropped. So damn frustrating
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #305
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller View Post
Just catching up on the nights posts and well said everyone!
Thanks for the update, YB!
I for one congratulate you on taking the right steps to preventing this issue from ever happening again. I'm sure that the forums will be stronger in every aspect from now on.

Long live YW!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #306
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Agreed. Relatively new here (May 08), but have really appreciated all the help and info with the Yaris. Everyone has been great to deal with and very patient with what to some I am sure are stupid questions, but if you don't know then you don't know, right? Never done ANYTHING to a car before, so this whole modding thing is new to me. Without YW I would never have known NEEDED springs or a sway bar.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote