Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
1970 Yaris? Debunked.

1970 Toyota Yaris

Displacement: 600cc
Transmission: CVT
Drive train: FR or RR
Approximate Cost: $550

www.toyota-yaris.net <- Wrong

Not quite, but nice try.

Last edited by Ran Kizama; 07-27-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Ran Kizama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Henshin
a go-go!

Drives: Silver 07 HB - 5spd
that's hot.
Henshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
oktaren

Drives: 07yarisliftback04aveohatchback
nice!
oktaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
That is not a 1970 Yaris. First off, it's left-hand drive, so it isn't a Japanese Domestic Market car. Second, it's got a European-style front plate holder. I think it's a Fiat or something. It looks very similar to a Fiat 600, but it isn't. I'll keep researching. I'm 99% sure that's no Toyota.

Last edited by Thirty-Nine; 07-26-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
I got the pic and info from toyota-yaris.net. Also, so it's LHD with a European Styled Plate. Europe didn't import cars in the 1970's?

Looking at this pic of a 1974 Corolla, I'm pointing out the front badge and the European Styled Plate. Looks a lot like one in the Yaris pic. Keep in mine that old Civic also looked a lot like a VW Rabbit so just because it looks European, doesn't make it European. Although, it does look a lot like a Fiat Abarth.

Then again, I could be wrong completely. I'm basing this thread off of that info I found and thought you guys would enjoy.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine

Remember: The only country that is right-hand drive in Europe is the U.K. The rest of the continent is left-hand drive, like us.

That style is definately condusive with 1950s/1960s European cars. Early Japanese cars didn't typically look like that.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I have to question the source you got it from...first off the first gen Yaris started for 2000 model year, I don't think it has any lineage before 2000...but I could be wrong...there have only been 2 gens obviously the current is the second gen...sure maybe it had cars that filled the spot it does in the past but I don't think they have any link to each other, other than what class they were in
Old 07-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
That style is definately condusive with 1950s/1960s European cars. Early Japanese cars didn't typically look like that.
They didn't?

Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
VidKidz

Drives: 1997 VW GTI
That Subaru looks like a cross between the Popemobile and an old VW Bug.
VidKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Some of you really dont know your roots.!!! http://www.toyota-yaris.net/gallery/ IS INCORRECT - the admin should be Punished!, there was no such thing as a Toyota "YARIS" prior to 1999.

As the name suggests, YARIS was named yaris as they were manufactured for most of Europe in Toyota Frances Factory -> Paris/Yaris ... get it? Some of the Left hand drive yarises in the UK were made in France, and some came from Japan. Place of manufacture can be determined by some of the letters on the VIN plate.

Prior to the Vitz/Yaris/Belta (NCP91) as all you U.S. guys know it as, there was the Yaris/Vitz/Echo (NCP13,15) amongst other variants which were released from 1999. The current model Yaris is known as the Yaris worldwide apart from Vitz in Japan, becuase it sounds more 'European' and was supposed to be a better name according to toyota marketing strategists.

Prior to the NCP13/15, there was the Starlet/Glanza - which were all 1.3L, in NA and turbo form. Starlets date back to the early 1980s when they were RWD.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Looks like a Fiat to me.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
In the sixties/seventies, very few cars had CVT. One of such was called DAF (or made by DAF, I am not sure), manufactured in Holland, as far as I can remember.
I have seen some very interesting pictures on this thread anyway.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
They didn't?

I figured someone would post a Subaru 360. Okay, so there were a few Japanese cars that looked like this.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
looks like Luigi from Cars...

as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dY
Some of you really dont know your roots.!!! http://www.toyota-yaris.net/gallery/ IS INCORRECT - the admin should be Punished!, there was no such thing as a Toyota "YARIS" prior to 1999.

As the name suggests, YARIS was named yaris as they were manufactured for most of Europe in Toyota Frances Factory -> Paris/Yaris ... get it? Some of the Left hand drive yarises in the UK were made in France, and some came from Japan. Place of manufacture can be determined by some of the letters on the VIN plate.

Prior to the Vitz/Yaris/Belta (NCP91) as all you U.S. guys know it as, there was the Yaris/Vitz/Echo (NCP13,15) amongst other variants which were released from 1999. The current model Yaris is known as the Yaris worldwide apart from Vitz in Japan, becuase it sounds more 'European' and was supposed to be a better name according to toyota marketing strategists.

Prior to the NCP13/15, there was the Starlet/Glanza - which were all 1.3L, in NA and turbo form. Starlets date back to the early 1980s when they were RWD.

Here's a link along the lines of what you were saying with the name Yaris...Toyota has a history of making up names, taking existing ones and create a new one or just come up something out of their ass (a fine one I might add too ). I know I've seen this info in other reviews, but read the third paragraph in that "pre-view" link.
It explains where the name Yaris came from, no Car and Driver aren't the car gods but this has nothing to do with them, just the info they got from Toyota, trusting its right. http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...ota-yaris.html
But as I mentioned before you are right, there was no such thing as a Yaris before 1999/2000 model year.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Well, I figured out what car the "1970 Yaris" really is:

a Zaporozhets ZAZ 965.

It was a Russin-made car and they apprently copied the Fiat 600 for the design (at least according to the "all-knowing" Wikipedia.)
Old 07-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #17
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
nice work there thirty nine

that is a pretty slick little car,think i want one ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:24 AM   #18
tsakali_gr

Drives: Toyota Yaris T-Sport 1.8
The Toyota Vitz, Toyota Echo hatchback, and Toyota Yaris hatchback are the current models of a small subcompact car in Japan launched by Toyota in 1999. Vitz is the name used in Japan for 3 and 5 door hatchbacks. In Europe and the Americas, it is sold as the Yaris. The vehicle was known as the Echo until 2005 in Canada and 2006 in the United States.

The name Vitz came from German word witz, which means "wit," "witticism," or "gag" in English. The name Yaris combines the German expression "ja," which is similar in meaning to "yes," with Charis, a Greek goddess who symbolized beauty and elegance.[1] Coincidentally the chief designer for the Yaris is Greek.

The Yaris went on sale in Europe early in 1999. After the freshening of the European Yaris hatchback in February 2003, a slightly modified version went on sale in Canada for the 2004 model year as the Echo hatchback, but the hatchback was not sold in the United States, where the Toyota Echo sedan was the lone model

Toyota released the second generation Vitz in Japan in 2004, while the Fun Cargo was replaced by the Ractis in October 2005.

The European, Australasian, Mexican and Canadian markets saw the second generation Yaris at the end of 2005. In the Australian and North American markets the car was sold as "Yaris" for the first time. The production North American 2007 Toyota Yaris was unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January 2006.

So as assumed and stated by others in previous posts, the first ever Yaris appeared in 1999. One last point: since there is not such a thing as "original" concept in terms of car design, since every new model has it's own influence from previous generation cars, maybe some cars in the past could be "associated" with Yaris, but they were not a Yaris!!

Cheers!!
tsakali_gr is offline   Reply With Quote