Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
beacon

Drives: yaris
Unhappy dead mouse in my blower unit

a really bad smell and really bad noise told me that something was up in my vent system. Sure enough, there is a bloody mess in the blower unit. I was able to remove the glove box and filter cover in order to find this out, but don't know how to remove the blower unit. Many bolts and screws and wires and no instructions that I can find in the repair manual. Also, even if I am able to remove this, will I be able to clean out the unit? Can you wash out the blower unit?
Thanks....
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
ewwwwwww thats effin grossss. :O
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacon View Post
a really bad smell and really bad noise told me that something was up in my vent system. Sure enough, there is a bloody mess in the blower unit. I was able to remove the glove box and filter cover in order to find this out, but don't know how to remove the blower unit. Many bolts and screws and wires and no instructions that I can find in the repair manual. Also, even if I am able to remove this, will I be able to clean out the unit? Can you wash out the blower unit?
Thanks....
Check out the Service Manual:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

Page 111 of the Air conditioning section covers disassembly. Typically, it is easier to rebuld the motor than to take the dang blower unit apart in a car.

If you look at page 164, it looks like you can take out the three bottom screws on the blower and drop the fan. That might give you pretty decent access to scrub out the guts.

Car manufacturers really need to better screen the outside air input. My Xterra was parked outside for a couple of months and when I run heat or AC I nearly puke from the smell of mouse urine. I am dreading pulling its blower apart to clean out the mouse nest...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
beacon

Drives: yaris
success!

Thanks for the tip!!
I was able to get access by removing those three screws, and luckily the mouse was in one piece (more or less).
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb

JK, glad to see you were able to use the tip from above. This might want to be a Sticky since many of our owners live in areas where field mice are plentiful.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
something like this maybe....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dead-mouse.jpg (38.5 KB, 303 views)

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
**No mice were harmed in this google search for "dead mouse"**

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
been down that road before . There's something about TOYOTAs that critters seem to be attracted to and have easy access to the blower unit . We had that issue with the 2 Chevy PRIZMs ( Corollas ) , the '99 Corolla , and the '03 MATRIX ( luckily had a cabin air filter to stop access to fan itself ) . The blower from the COROLLA was easiest to remove , the PRIZMs had an AC Delco blower unit that was a bit more difficult . We've test drove new and used Pontiac '07 and '08 VIBEs ( Matrix ) that had mice in the blower units and in the air filter housing . One dealership had about 6 VIBES that had been invaded by mice . There was 1 '08 that the mouse had chewed through the air filter and got into the throttle body . Who knows what damage was done by mouse feces and foreign items brought into it . Told and showed dealer the issue and just blew it off . Hate to be person(s) that bought one of these vehicles . So , always check air filter and turn on fan ( high setting ) to listen for excessive noise from blower in a new or used car . Mice and other critters like to make homes at dealer lots . Especially near fall and winter .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dead mouse
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
sweet, ive pulled a few of these out of many cars at work. once i spent 24 billed hours on a 2004 gmc denali to pull 8 dead mice out of the dash and various parts of the interior and clean out the poop. it was pretty stinky and gross. Mice are good money makers.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
The dealer fixed the mouse problem for my sister under warranty on her Eclipse. The nest actually wrecked the blower by unbalancing it. Mice should not get in there from the OUTSIDE but they can get in from the INSIDE of the car. Adding a cabin filter would help from outside invasion - I think we have a suck through heater ...? You could hot glue melt or epoxy a wire mesh screen over the inlet surface if you make a frame from polymer or wood.

Sonjas' bro
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
gid

we had a mouse chew a hole in the cabin air filter for the '03 MATRIX . Luckily it wasn't large enough to get into the blower , but when I removed the cabin filter some of the debri fell into the blower . Took a hose from an upright vacuum and used the tool to suck it out . I believe they come in through the water drainage for the vent system . As for the air filter , you can take a piece of the black plastic screen bought at hardware store and cut about a 4 > 5 inch circle ( trim off excess if needed ) . Then locate the plastic elbow connected to air intake hose that leads to air filter housing . The elbow is usually on drivers side near front of car . Remove plastic push in pin connected to elbow and car frame with flathead srewdriver and remove the plastic elbow by pushing in 2 plastic snaps ( lips ) on each side of hose ( may need flat head screwdriver ) and pull upward . Take plastic screen so it covers the opening of the plastic hose with about inch or 2 overlapping the hole . Last , take elbow and push down until it snaps back in place ( don't forget plastic push in pin ) . This will keep the critters out . Used this method for many years on the several Chevy PRIZMs ( Corollas ) without affecting gas mileage or power . You do need to remove screen every few months or so ( your call ) to clean off dead bugs , dust , etc.. Do this with a vacuum hose ( brush attachment ) and then rinse with water and dry to reuse . Otherwise could disrupt AIR flow . Hope this helps some .

Last edited by gid; 11-17-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
this thread scares me, I hope I never have to go through this!
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
gid

we've had acorns in the blower and sounded like a roulette wheel .
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
just last night i took my yaris in because of a funny noise when i put my heater fan on-no mice but there was a mcdonalds napkin in there that service pulled out. they said too many napkins in the glovebox and it isn't the first time they have found this problem. and there wasn't that many napkins in there so just a heads up for everyone
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
gid

that's where the cabin air filter would help .
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
that's where the cabin air filter would help .
No! Rather have it killed in the blower than running around inside the car!

LOL at least were I live there's not much mice around but we do have rats! Believe me my Cat struggles with these... Gladly there to big to fit but have had traces of them in the engine compartment getting another cat soon this hard work is actually killing my cat. LoL
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
gid

had no clue of your rat issue .