Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Keeping up with a Mini

My local buddies drive Mini's and MX-5's and i fit right in on our Sunday cruises when i used to own a Miata but had to sell the Miata due to utility problems,i need something i can drive in the winter and something with larger interior and something with a roof.Looking at Mini's but for the price of a 3-4yr old Mini i could get a brand new Yaris HB,having driven Echo and Yaris Sedans as the family commuters i realize they would never keep up with the Mini or MX-5 in the twisties so i was wondering what i could do to a Yaris HB as far as suspension mods to bring it into the gokart like handling of Mini's and MX-5's and also get the power up in the 140hp range,plus how much would this transformation cost?. Thanks
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
3.5-4.5 grand. Approx.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
For Sunday cruising, you don't need more power than you alreadty have to keep up with Minis and Miatas. But, suspension mods, and wheels/tyres will really help... and it won't cost a fortune.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
best and cheapest mod is weight reduction.. the removal of stuff, not the purchase of "carbon fiber" parts :D
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I suggest you read my performance primer:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9451

It outlines more or less what you are asking, and then some

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
good read!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
coilovers and sticky tires are all you really need to keep up w/ a naturally aspirated mini....theyre relatively heavy, arent they? im thinking in the area of 2600lbs? i think most yaris fall in around 2300lbs.

as for getting up to 140hp, im assuming you mean up from the 106hp crank rated from the factory...? in which case id say an intake, header, and exhaust from the resonator back (2" - - would be easier/cheaper for you in qc to get it done custom vs buying and shipping parts). thatll likely you put you up near 105hp at the wheels, which is close to 120hp at the crank...imo, plenty peppy

now, if i were to do this, id likely buy an ebay intake for 50$, and buy a k&n filter for it ($50). id get a DC Sports header (+/- $250) as i see it making the most gains (vs megan, ebay, or otherwise), and a custom exhaust would be about 200-300 in parts (2" mandrel bent stainless steel piping and a muffler).

if youre more serious about handling and dont mind stiff springs, id lean towards megan coilovers as theyre pretty cheap and pretty stuff. i wouldnt get much in the way of tie bars, strut bars or anti-roll bars if you run stiffer coilovers, as it just wont be cost effective.

as for rims/tires, id get some lightweight 15's and some 205-50-15 (or 205-55-15) rubber. maybe falken fk452's...? generally something cheaper but still a performance summer tire (since, by law, youll have a set of winters). imo, wheelfire.com has some of the best deals on wheel/tire sets.

since youre in montreal, id get a lot of the stuff shipped to a UPS store or something just across the border and bring them in yourself. that way the shipping will be cheaper AND you wont get killed on brokerage. ship it all around the same time so you can bring it back in a lump....therefore 1 trip for gas/time/duty, etc

actually thats bascially my plan for my car....but once i move back to south-west ontario, ill ship stuff to my in-laws in michigan....i did that w/ my matrix parts before i moved out east....
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
You can get a decent set of coilovers for around $1,000

Some cheap lightweight 15" wheels $500- $800

Some sticky rubber $400-$500

TRD rear sway bar $150

Camber Bolts $ 30

Some weight reduction. $0

Total: $2000-$2400

That should be enough to outrun a STOCK mini or Miata on the twisties.

Power wise

For 140 HP you are looking at force induction only. $3800 for blitz SC or go the custom route with a turbo set up which will be more than the blitz....
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
You can get a decent set of coilovers for around $1,000

Some cheap lightweight 15" wheels $500- $800

Some sticky rubber $400-$500

TRD rear sway bar $150

Camber Bolts $ 30

Some weight reduction. $0

Total: $2000-$2400

That should be enough to outrun a STOCK mini or Miata on the twisties.

Power wise

For 140 HP you are looking at force induction only. $3800 for blitz SC or go the custom route with a turbo set up which will be more than the blitz....
the 140hp matters a lot if he's talking about crank or wheel hp. the 123whp that richard holdener is putting now, all motor, is just over 140bhp...