Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Danish Yaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1,8 TS 5dr. 2007
Which lowering springs should I choose?

Hi

I have a Toyota Yaris 1,3 5dr. Hatchback from 2007, the European model.
I would like to get it lowered, but only by springs.

Which set does the job well and is a good quality so the springs doesnīt break when driving in the cold weather in Denmark with salt on the roads.

I have looked at some Tanabe springs, but whatīs the difference on DF210 and NF210 and is Tanabe a quality brand, never heard of it in Denmark.
The DF210 should lower by 1,6 front and 1,8 rear, but why does it lower more in the rear, usually I think it should be lowered more in the front?

Also looked at Tein that is a little more expensive and it should lower by 1,9 inches front and rear.

Anybody have experiences with these sets or others and do they lower the car as much as promised?

Then I have looked at the original Toyota TTE springs, but they doesnīt lower it much, www.tte.de .

Regards Steven.
Danish Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
tanabe seems to be a decent japanese brand....i wouldnt worry about them

and youre not THAT cold in denmark....hovering around 0C....but i could see the salt being a pain if they use a lot.....but no aftermarket spring would rust thru any quicker than OEM springs....

what size of drop do you want? big drop or not big drop?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Like the Barber said, it depends on the desired drop. I had Tein S-Tech lows on my car for about 8 months, really liked the stance and feel they gave my car but they rubbed too much for my liking. More recently I swapped the Teins for a set of Tanabe NF210's and I like them much better...they seem to give the car a bit of a stiffer ride and there is virtually no rubbing even under hard cornering.

Unless you are willing to invest in coil-overs, I would put my money to use on a set of Tanabe's. If you would like a "dramatic" drop, get the DF210's, if you would like a mild drop and a great ride, buy the NF210's. Garm is selling them both at great prices...

www.microimageonline.com

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Danish Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
tanabe seems to be a decent japanese brand....i wouldnt worry about them

and youre not THAT cold in denmark....hovering around 0C....but i could see the salt being a pain if they use a lot.....but no aftermarket spring would rust thru any quicker than OEM springs....

what size of drop do you want? big drop or not big drop?
Hi

I want a drop at about 4cm., it must be about 1,6 to 1,8 inches.

Itīs not that cold in Denmark, but itīs just above 0*C now and they like to use very much salt on the roads.
I have just heard about some that has broke their H&R springs.

What do you use?

Regards Steven.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ thanks for posting that info.

on the product pages it gives spring rates and drops. The DF210's are closer to 1.8-2" from customer reviews.

I might also mention the killer deal we have on Progress springs right now -- they are between the DF and NF Tanabe springs in drop, and only $144.95 right now (until I run out).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Danish Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
Like the Barber said, it depends on the desired drop. I had Tein S-Tech lows on my car for about 8 months, really liked the stance and feel they gave my car but they rubbed too much for my liking. More recently I swapped the Teins for a set of Tanabe NF210's and I like them much better...they seem to give the car a bit of a stiffer ride and there is virtually no rubbing even under hard cornering.

Unless you are willing to invest in coil-overs, I would put my money to use on a set of Tanabe's. If you would like a "dramatic" drop, get the DF210's, if you would like a mild drop and a great ride, buy the NF210's. Garm is selling them both at great prices...

www.microimageonline.com
Hi

I want about 1,6 to 1,8 inches drop.

What do you mean with it rubbed too much? Do the wheels rub onto the wheel wells or fenders?

How much did the Tein S-Tech lower your car?

You say I should choose the DF210 for a dramatic drop and the NF210 for a great ride? What do you mean by that? Does it get bad handling with the DF210īs?
I would like the car to be stiff and good in the curves?

Who is Garm?

Regards Steven.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Danish Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ thanks for posting that info.

on the product pages it gives spring rates and drops. The DF210's are closer to 1.8-2" from customer reviews.

I might also mention the killer deal we have on Progress springs right now -- they are between the DF and NF Tanabe springs in drop, and only $144.95 right now (until I run out).
Hi

I have sent you a PM.

Regards Steven.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
cali yaris = garm

sounds like progress springs might do the trick if the shipping isnt too much...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Danish Yaris

Hi

I have sent Garm a PM.

Regards Steven.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Yaris View Post
Hi

I have sent Garm a PM.

Regards Steven.

Steven, I think TRD have an outlet in sweden, they did when I lived there at least. Should be cheaper to order from there.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
DF's FTW. I think those and the S Tech's have the best stance, since they're very similar. One of my few regrets on my car is that I am on TRD springs and not DF's, but that is what coilovers are for.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
ZING

Might take that offer of DF's..
Old 12-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Danish Yaris

Hi

I think I will buy the DF210´s, but am a little cocerned about if the front tires will rub against the plastic on the fenders.

Regards Steven.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Yaris View Post
Hi

I want about 1,6 to 1,8 inches drop.

What do you mean with it rubbed too much? Do the wheels rub onto the wheel wells or fenders?

How much did the Tein S-Tech lower your car?

You say I should choose the DF210 for a dramatic drop and the NF210 for a great ride? What do you mean by that? Does it get bad handling with the DF210īs?
I would like the car to be stiff and good in the curves?

Who is Garm?

Regards Steven.
Steven,

The rubbing was between the tire and the wheel well, not the fenders.

The Tein S-Tech springs lowered my car approximately 1.9" at each corner.

I apologize for my choice of words regarding the choice between the NF and the DF; what I mean is that the NF springs have provided me with a better feel than the Teins with a nice looking drop but the car does not sit as low as it would with the DF springs. You won't really get a stiff ride by just swapping out the springs, you may have to upgrade your shocks/struts and purchase other suspension add-ons.

-Matt

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Danish Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
Steven,

The rubbing was between the tire and the wheel well, not the fenders.

The Tein S-Tech springs lowered my car approximately 1.9" at each corner.

I apologize for my choice of words regarding the choice between the NF and the DF; what I mean is that the NF springs have provided me with a better feel than the Teins with a nice looking drop but the car does not sit as low as it would with the DF springs. You won't really get a stiff ride by just swapping out the springs, you may have to upgrade your shocks/struts and purchase other suspension add-ons.

-Matt
Hi Matt

Ok, but it must me more stiff than it is stock when itīs lowered about 1,6"-1,8"?
Which wheels did you have on when it rubbed the wheel wells and can there be done anything to it? Was it every time you drove?

Regards Steven.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
NF210 is about 5% over stock in stiffness, DF210 is 10-15%.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
ZING

Is anything else necessary besides the springs, such as coils?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
You can put new struts/shocks on but if you just want to drop it with springs, feel free.
I have DF210 springs on mine with the stock shocks and 37,000 miles, no problems.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote