Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
frailer

Drives: '08 5 door
Higher octane fuel

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a 5 door hatch, location Eastern Australia. My main problem is that I may need to be prised out of the driver's seat sometime. I love the damn thing!
The VVTi obviously smooths out a lot of things, but feel that stating 91 RON as the fuel to use doesn't make sense to me. Marketing silliness, IMO.

Given that the compression ratio is 10.5:1; I reckon on my 1st fill, (sometime in 2010...LOL ), I may switch to 95 RON. I think that I may get increased mpg, more zip/smoother...though few complaints there; and also be kinder to the motor.

It's a 1.3 litre donk.

Would welcome anyone's experiences.

...Oops! Just found some threads...Mods feel free to flick my thread. Thanks...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
nope, won't see improvements

if toyota had bothered to make the ECU a little more agressive you would..

but ..

you won't..

don't waste your money ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
frailer

Thanks guys. I understand that RON number calculations differ around the world. Here in Aust. we have 91, 95, 98. After reading here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3233

...and your comments; I'm going to stick to 91, I think. I guess Toyata have been smart enough to design it around the lower octane fuel, despite the slightly higher comp. ratio.

Appreciate your input.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
95 is recommended for my 1,0, however I use 98. Why? The engine runs a lot smoother (less vibration), MPG and power gains are negligible (if any), but it just feels a lot better. The nonexistent price difference around here (1,5%) makes this a no-brainer for me.

The blue one
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
I used premium in an ECHO for 5 years and always from name brands, not the cheap gas. The car simply ran smoother, it had more power, and got better mpg (about 2 per gallon). The increase in mpg did not cover the increase in cost but the peace of mind was worth it.
In the Yaris the first two tanks were regular. I felt the acceleration could improve. Since premium was put in a difference has been noticed. The car is relatively new so I don't have any long term mpg improvement data.
I have read a couple studies and many opinions such as the ones above stating that it's a waste but that has not been my experience.
A simple test would be to run premium for a few tanks and see if you notice any improvements.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
From what i learned in my technical training, going with a higher octane will do nothing but drain your wallet faster. Just put in what the owners manual states. To each there own, if you want to put in a higher octane it's your choice.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Higher octane will lead to excessive carbon buildup
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
I used premium in an ECHO for 5 years and always from name brands, not the cheap gas. The car simply ran smoother, it had more power, and got better mpg (about 2 per gallon). The increase in mpg did not cover the increase in cost but the peace of mind was worth it.
In the Yaris the first two tanks were regular. I felt the acceleration could improve. Since premium was put in a difference has been noticed. The car is relatively new so I don't have any long term mpg improvement data.
I have read a couple studies and many opinions such as the ones above stating that it's a waste but that has not been my experience.
A simple test would be to run premium for a few tanks and see if you notice any improvements.
This attitude is what the oil companies are after,Someone who is totally misinformed and think the higher octane gasoline somehow gives more power,better gas mileage and somehow works better than what the engineers who designed the engine recommendI think this attitude has been perpetrated by all the fancy names they call the higher octane gasolines relegating the lower octane gas as an inferior alternative to Premium,Gold Ultra,Super etc.When in actuality the only difference between 87 octane and 93 octane is detonation parameters not the quality of the gas.The owners manual in all Yaris and Echo's call for the lower octane rating of the usual three choices of gasoline.If there was any merit to the higher octane = more power and better mpg dont you think the car companies/engineers would be the first to recommend the higher octane gasoline.
The logic of buying an inexpensive automobile who's forte is fuel economy then putting a more expensive higher than recommended octane gas in it escapes me.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Save your money and follow whatever your owners manual specifies. That's what it's designed to use most efficiently.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Tamago

lol @ the answer repeated over and over again, even after the OP has acknowledged..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
BOOO, i guess i waste my money.........
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I use 91 always!!! (unless unavailable)
Why?
Here (in P.R.) Regular gas (specially from generic gas stations) = POS!!!
Premium (91) gas = maybe regular gas up there in the states. My prove? VW 1973 Tranporter (91+ only). Cheap 91 in this VW = bad combustion, rattling, slow response, it even stays a few seconds rattling after its turned off. So if the cheap/generic 91 sucks. I don't even want to know what the 89 (regular) does. So thats why I use 91.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The octane mention in the owner's manual is a MINIMUM requirement, not a recommended octane rating.

I see higher ignition advance under all conditions (via scangauge) with 91 than I do with regular.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Maybe you guys who say 91 is better is because you have so much carbon buildup in the engine that its changed the compression ratio so thus it does run slightly better with higher octane now =) Carbon on top of the pistons reduces the volume of the combustion chamber
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
frailer

I don't mind the extra posts. It's all a mixture of info and opinion. Just gotta use your head to sift through it.

I'll keep an open mind, but continue with 91, (base fuel here).

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
nope, won't see improvements

if toyota had bothered to make the ECU a little more agressive you would..

but ..

you won't..

don't waste your money ;)
Yep Save your money and put it towards Mod's ,
like air intake , axle back exhaust , NST pullies will give you an amazing boost, and once you've done that you will need a short shifter to keep up
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
like air intake , axle back exhaust , NST pullies will give you an amazing boost, and once you've done that you will need a short shifter to keep up
Yes, and after those mods and a performance tune then that'd be the time to actually make use of the higher octane.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
don't forget to buy a neck brace so you don't injure anything with your newfound rocket-like acceleration.
you nailed it sir.
Closed Thread