Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Price for a 2009 3 door liftback w/ options

Ok smart YARIS! people, anyone willing to give their insight on this?
Yes, I've lurked the forum, looked at a lot of threads about pricing, but I have a feeling a lot of those threads had people talking about buying a 2007/2008 model. So I am curious what YOU guys think a good price for a 2009 is?

My dad went to dealer and I have searched edmunds.com for their TMV=True Market Value prices, here are the prices we've gotten

NEW ** 2009 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Liftback (dealer: 13,305 // edmunds TMV 11,819)
Power Package w/Steel Wheels (dealer: 1,580 // edmunds TMV $1,318 )
((^ on the dealer sheet they have one power pack. option. On edmunds there are 2 and I'm picking the cheaper. I hope we have the choice for the cheaper at the dealer..))
Remote Keyless Entry System (dealer: 230 // edmunds TMV $203))
All Weather Guard Package/Cold weather (dealer all weather: 110 // edmunds cold weather $97)
((on edmunds the all weather is a few hundred. I think my dealer is actually selling cold weather package not all weather but named it all weather.. it doesnt matter because I want cold weather anyway))

Ok, any advice? Should I stand tough and bring in a paper with edmund's TMV pricing and tell them I won't buy it unless I get those prices? Or do you think the edmunds prices are too low or high?

I'm getting worried because my dad came home and said "It's over 16,000" while looking at the paper the dealer gave him. It was like he didn't even consider we are going to haggle. I used edmunds and see a price of about 14,000.

I'm worried that I, as a girl barely 21 with no car knowledge, is going to have to try to haggle with the dealers because my dad, lots of life experience for a 60 year old and owner of lots of cars, seemed to accept the 16,000. What do you guys think, is it being an ass and shooting too high if I am stuck on edmund's TMV prices? It just surprised me my dad accepted the dealer's prices. Thanks for reading =)

Last edited by wiirenet; 03-03-2009 at 03:21 PM.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
We are not smart car people... We are yaris people... hahahahaha

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
wiirenet

Well yea, thats why I'm posting here not a generic car forum... I've really enjoyed lurking here the past week and its gotten me very excited for my purchase and I love the insight, knowledge, tips, pics, and everything that everyone has posted here!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
hmmm.. can't answer your question exactly, but I can tell you that in this economy, I would definitely haggle. Worse case scenario, they say no? Well, at least you tried.
But you and your Dad need to get on the same page before you go into the dealership.

I bought my Yaris used, from a Toyota dealership. I knew how much I wanted to spend all together and I guess the dealer and I had to meet each other half way. They still got me with an expensive last minute keyless entry / alarm add on, though, I hadn't researched that and I ended up saying yes just to be done with the paperwork already. Still happy with the car and no regrets.

Good luck.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

One thing you DEFINITELY need to do is to research the financing BEFORE YOU GO to the dealer. If you're going to pay cash, then great, but otherwise, make sure you get that squared away before hand.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
otterhere

I had the whole "price discussion" thing on e-mail before going there; if you try to haggle in person... Well, think of it as getting in an aquarium tank with a giant squid... Nothing left to do but sign the paperwork and hand over the money (cash). Get it in writing first.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
wiirenet

Thanks so much for replying =) Blah, yea, I forgot that a lot of the posts here I read that people bought used- but I really want new. So yea, re edited my post to say it I want a new one.

We are looking into the financing options too- but right now I want to focus on the actual car price.

I know I will try to check out a bank loan before the dealer's loan because I read a loan somewhere else is usually better. I am doing my research hehe.

Part of me worries that in this economy they might actually not want to haggle because they need as much money as possible.. like they won't want to waste a car on me because they need to sell it to someone who will pay more..

*edited to add* Otter, if I tried emailing them, do you think its in bad form to say straight out "These are the prices on edmunds.com, I want you to match them" or will they just probably laugh at my email..

Boy, I would love to see the email logs with back and forth car haggling, would bring a lot of insight into the process for noobs! But I understand that they are private emails and no one would just post them online.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
Thanks so much for replying =) Blah, yea, I forgot that a lot of the posts here I read that people bought used- but I really want new. So yea, re edited my post to say it I want a new one.

We are looking into the financing options too- but right now I want to focus on the actual car price.

I know I will try to check out a bank loan before the dealer's loan because I read a loan somewhere else is usually better. I am doing my research hehe.

Part of me worries that in this economy they might actually not want to haggle because they need as much money as possible.. like they won't want to waste a car on me because they need to sell it to someone who will pay more..

I think most of the posters on this board bought their car new. Just be patient and the replies will come in.

The financing is far more important than people realize. The price of the car is one thing, but getting a good deal on financing can add up to saving hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars.

As to your worries that the dealer won't want to "waste a car on you" hmmm.. I don't know about that. Cars aren't exactly flying off the lots lately, are they?

Yarii with MT sell faster around here, though, I can tell you this much because it was hard to find one, especially used one, and they don't stay on the lot long.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
otterhere

Our local dealer had a commercial on TV last night offering 2009 Yaris hatchbacks for under $11k with a $1k rebate (which makes it sound like you'd get it for $10k)??? I dunno about that; of course you have to take certain packages -- they don't come without them -- and of course that'll drive the cost up. Just take your time, and keep a cool head... Don't worry, and never let 'em see ya sweat, LOL... Have fun...

Oh, and "smart car" people; get it? Smart Car (the Twofer)? Vs. Yaris? Anyway...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I think that your best bet is to start with looking at what the local dealers have in inventory and try to find one that matches what you want. If you start picking and choosing options, then the dealer has to try to match your wants with cars on their way or on other dealer's lots. What they have in their inventory, they have the most room for negotiation with.

I bought my 09 5dr LB in October. I pre-ordered it back in July and the dealer I was working with entered my wants into the computer and once the first build lot was being shipped he received notification of the car that was "preferenced" for my order. It was about an 90% match so I accepted it (and would have had to wait quite a bit longer for a 100% match). I paid full sticker price, but thanks to the current state of the economy you shouldn't have to.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Wait a minute , you have been "stalking" us ?

Shop around and you could probably get a slightly better price . I would'nt doddle to much though , gas prices are going back up and the Yaris will fetch premium prices soon .
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
wiirenet

Thanks, I just feel like since this will my first huge purchase.. I want to have exactly what I want or I'll regret it. I'm ok with waiting a while because my old junk is still running. I don't think I'm being *that* choosey.. just power windows, keyless entry, and I guess the weather thing isn't a big deal, just thought it best for my safety/convenience with chicago winters.
But yea, it won't hurt to ask whats on the lot and see the pricing. But I'm willing to pay an extra thousand and wait a few months to get my exact want.

I'm thinking I'll give them a price of 13,000 with all the options I want, unless anyone gives anymore input before I go to the dealer sometimes this month. (Thinking I'll go the last day of the month, as people suggest that.. does it really work?)

Even with thinking about the base being 11,000 like Otterhere said her dealer is advertising, it would be about 12,600 with the options I want with edmund's TMV option pricing. I don't know if 12,600 is too weird to bring up if my dealer is asking 16,000+ so I'm thinking I'll try 13,000...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Ok smart YARIS! people, anyone willing to give their insight on this?
Yes, I've lurked the forum, looked at a lot of threads about pricing, but I have a feeling a lot of those threads had people talking about buying a 2007/2008 model. So I am curious what YOU guys think a good price for a 2009 is?

My dad went to dealer and I have searched edmunds.com for their TMV=True Market Value prices, here are the prices we've gotten

NEW ** 2009 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Liftback (dealer: 13,305 // edmunds TMV 11,819)
Power Package w/Steel Wheels (dealer: 1,580 // edmunds TMV $1,318 )
((^ on the dealer sheet they have one power pack. option. On edmunds there are 2 and I'm picking the cheaper. I hope we have the choice for the cheaper at the dealer..))
Remote Keyless Entry System (dealer: 230 // edmunds TMV $203))
All Weather Guard Package/Cold weather (dealer all weather: 110 // edmunds cold weather $97)
((on edmunds the all weather is a few hundred. I think my dealer is actually selling cold weather package not all weather but named it all weather.. it doesnt matter because I want cold weather anyway))

Ok, any advice? Should I stand tough and bring in a paper with edmund's TMV pricing and tell them I won't buy it unless I get those prices? Or do you think the edmunds prices are too low or high?

I'm getting worried because my dad came home and said "It's over 16,000" while looking at the paper the dealer gave him. It was like he didn't even consider we are going to haggle. I used edmunds and see a price of about 14,000.

I'm worried that I, as a girl barely 21 with no car knowledge, is going to have to try to haggle with the dealers because my dad, lots of life experience for a 60 year old and owner of lots of cars, seemed to accept the 16,000. What do you guys think, is it being an ass and shooting too high if I am stuck on edmund's TMV prices? It just surprised me my dad accepted the dealer's prices. Thanks for reading =)
I admire what you are doing. Stand tough! (To the dealer and your dad) This is america and you have the right to get the best possible price on anything that you buy. Don't worry about being an "ass". These people are not your friends. You will never go out to dinner with the person that sold you a car. Look at buying a car as a job. Your role is to get a great price. If you do your research and are able to save $2,000 than you did a great job

Practice. Go to a Ford dealership and test drive a car that you would never buy. Make a real low ball offer and even if they take it walk away. Learn to say no and learn how to leave the dealership with the same car that you came in.

Patience. Make up your mind to get a new car this year not this weekend. Good deals come and go. There will always be another sale or rebate offer. I am sure that there is more than one dealer in town. Get the best price you can from the first one then walk away. Go to the next dealer and see if they can beat the price by $1,000. If they can't then walk away. Wait a week and try a third dealership. Make it known that if they don't deal you will leave. If you spend the time and effort when you do get your Yaris there will be no buyers remorse.

Be flexable. The more willing you are able to take different colors and options the more likely you will get a great price. The dealers are offering great financing these days. You might be better off using their services than your CU.

Watch the closing details. After you get a price the finance guy will try to sell you extended warrantee and other options. Say no to everything. You can get after market items at 1/2 the price. Be prepared for tax and title fees. A 14,000 car might really cost 16,000 after taxes.

Here is an ad from last weeks paper. Watch the fine print. Sometimes they will add in dealer handling for $300-500.

Good luck and report back to us.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
... Watch the closing details. After you get a price the finance guy will try to sell you extended warrantee and other options. Say no to everything. You can get after market items at 1/2 the price. Be prepared for tax and title fees. A 14,000 car might really cost 16,000 after taxes.

Here is an ad from last weeks paper. Watch the fine print. Sometimes they will add in dealer handling for $300-500.

Good luck and report back to us.
This is EXCELLENT advice!!!
Seriously!! And a really good price for a new Yaris, too! :)

I wish I had known more about closing costs's practices at a dealership before going in.

There are 2 things I didn't do right with my purchase and I'll put them here so others can benefit :

1) I did not research the closing costs closely enough. I knew closing costs could go up to 10% of the price of the car (if you pay cash) because tax is pretty high in California, but I didn't know about the add-ons and was not be prepared to say no to them. In fact, people in this forum advised me about the extended warranty, because I didn't know about that either (thanks guys!!! )

2) The worse strike against me was that I was in a hurry, so I couldn't weigh my options, like you. My car was up for a SMOG test and I have reason to believe she wouldn't have passed. Also, she needed some major mechanical repairs, so every time I drove her, I always wondered if I was going to make it at the other end or even be able to start the car... when you show up at a dealership with a car like that, they *know* you really need a car!

What I did right:

I researched the cars online first before taking any test drive (researched the Fit, the Matrix, the Yaris, and a couple of others in the same class).
I read reviews such as Consumer Reports' (a small $20 subscription will let you browse through their entire database for one year, and you can see how the car did in previous years - very useful to buy a used car), found out how much comparable cars would cost, and since I was looking for a used car, I also subscribed to Carfax to be able to run the VIN numbers.

Flexibility is a key point in getting a good deal, I think. I didn't get the color I would have preferred, and there are some little things I don't like about the car, but other cars I looked at were more expensive. Overall, I got a pretty good value with my Yaris, and I'm really happy about that.

Last edited by tomato; 03-03-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
deancgibbons
Viva la Yaris!

Drives: Yaris 07
I just recently purchase my Yaris and am fresh on what they try and pull while making a deal. Hopefully these help:

1. They always claim that they don't make much on the Yaris. Other car's they have room to work with but they say it's not so with this one. When I was at the dealer last week, right before I was going to sign the papers, I told them I didn't want the car. I was pretty firm because truly, I did not want the car. After some talking the finance guy left the room for a few min, when he came back, they lowered the price $700. So there you go. Haggle them in the paper room, they will offer you a better price. (I ended up going to another dealer and getting the price I wanted).

2. If you have a trade-in, do it. You end up paying taxes on the new car price minus the trade-in amount and not just the new car which could potentially save you $600+

And last remember that, if you're not getting the deal that you want, walk out and go somewhere else. Check to see if they have any 08 available (unless your stuck on the 09's). They're willing to make deals on those. Also, see if they're offering any rebates. Be patient and wait for the right deal.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by deancgibbons; 03-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.
deancgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
wiirenet

Thanks deancgibbons! My dad actually said to me that we can't haggle much because the numbers he saw, show that dealers can't make much on the yaris...he keeps saying he has the invoice price and the dealer won't sell the car for less then the numbers he has, so it sounds like he doesn't even want to try.

I might just literally show him your post saying that you got them to go down another 700.

We have a trade in but my dad thinks he can sell it for more then the dealer will get us.

I'm happy because it turns out we have the 1,000 rebate here too- just started in March. Going to the dealer on march 31st, hopefully will get a salesman desperate to get his monthly sales quota up in his last day :P

Tomato, thanks also. I am hearing a lot about the closing costs... 1,000+ so I will keep that in mind. And yea, this is why I am hurrying with researching the yaris now... my current car seems like its going to die soon, so I rather do my research now then when I'm stuck at the side of the road with a towtruck!

I tried to do the consumer reports thing but it said I need a $39 sub, and its another 14 to get the new car report.. if you see this post.. you wouldnt happen to still be subscribed to Consumer would you? I can pay for the report (have paypal), its the $39 subscription that makes me not want it.

And nemelek thanks for the advice too! I'm keeping it all in mind. I guess I might go to a few dealerships just to look around and talk to them before 'the big day.' I have a month so I'm not rushing the purchase. Just the research part hehe. I'll *try* to be flexible lol.. key word try... I want what I want, *but* I won't dismiss any other yaris on the lot without actually thinking about it. Heck, maybe if they have some awesome 2007/08 I might consider it...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
deancgibbons
Viva la Yaris!

Drives: Yaris 07
Quote:
Thanks deancgibbons! My dad actually said to me that we can't haggle much because the numbers he saw, show that dealers can't make much on the yaris...he keeps saying he has the invoice price and the dealer won't sell the car for less then the numbers he has, so it sounds like he doesn't even want to try.

I might just literally show him your post saying that you got them to go down another 700.

We have a trade in but my dad thinks he can sell it for more then the dealer will get us.

I'm happy because it turns out we have the 1,000 rebate here too- just started in March. Going to the dealer on march 31st, hopefully will get a salesman desperate to get his monthly sales quota up in his last day :P

Tomato, thanks also. I am hearing a lot about the closing costs... 1,000+ so I will keep that in mind. And yea, this is why I am hurrying with researching the yaris now... my current car seems like its going to die soon, so I rather do my research now then when I'm stuck at the side of the road with a towtruck!

I tried to do the consumer reports thing but it said I need a $39 sub, and its another 14 to get the new car report.. if you see this post.. you wouldnt happen to still be subscribed to Consumer would you? I can pay for the report (have paypal), its the $39 subscription that makes me not want it.

And nemelek thanks for the advice too! I'm keeping it all in mind. I guess I might go to a few dealerships just to look around and talk to them before 'the big day.' I have a month so I'm not rushing the purchase. Just the research part hehe. I'll *try* to be flexible lol.. key word try... I want what I want, *but* I won't dismiss any other yaris on the lot without actually thinking about it. Heck, maybe if they have some awesome 2007/08 I might consider it...
You bet. Just remember that all the time you spend with a salesman/saleswoman accounts for something. When I purchased my Yaris last week, I probably spent 2 hrs with my saleswoman before I actually got into the office where I signed the papers. In the finance office is where your going to have the most control and the biggest opportunity to haggle. Basically the finance person is the best salesperson there. They're closing the deal. I told my finance person that I wasn't happy with the interest rate and argued that for about 20 min.

After all said and done they gave me $1,200 more for my trade-in, a free 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and free oil changes for 3 years. And I wasn't even complaining about the price of the car. It sounds like you have the right mind set on everything though, waiting for the right deal and all that. I'm sure you will do fine and get exactly what you want.
Cheers!
deancgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
otterhere

There is currently a $1,000 rebate being offered by Toyota, so definitely get that. I'd also recommend not settling for a car unless you're TOTALLY satisfied with it, seat cover fabric and all, because you're gonna be looking at that seat cover fabric for a looooong time. But I must disagree with the trade-in; they offered me $400 -- $400!!! -- which insulted me because I was in love with my little car, warts and all. I ended up selling it right away privately for $1200 and am sure I could've gotten more if I'd waited longer... Also agree with saving a bundle on a new '08 if they have any of those still sitting around, assuming you can live the polka-dotted seat cover fabric. As for tax, etc., I got an "out the door" (all-inclusive; taxes, license, etc.) price of $13,700 in writing on my new '08 automatic on e-mail through voluminous correspondence with the dealer and brought the papers in with me, just in case he reneged (not necessary, as it turned out; he had the paperwork all ready; I signed and was out the door in minutes).

Good luck, and enjoy the experience.