Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
intioumaximus

Drives: subaru
yairs convenience v power pkg

I have been debating a new yaris for the gas, and insurance savings plus the awesome rebates they have now. Anyone regret getting the convenience v. power package? I'm sure some may but there is a white one I've been eyeing with convenience package, and I had a cool nissan at one point without any power or tach and it wasn't bad at all. How is the yaris tho?
intioumaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Some people like all the bells and whistles and are willing to pay for it. I wanted a cheap commuter car and only wanted air, auto, radio. No regrets.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Once and a while I wish for the power windows and locks plus the cruise control, but really, it's not that bad without them. It's about a $1000 difference between the two packages. I'd say get power if your not too strapped for cash.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I LOVE the power package - if you're planning on taking a lot of long trips (I do all the time) the cruise control is a must have.

The power wheels and windows isn't a big deal .... I could take them or leave them. But (like Kal-El said) if you're not too strapped for cash just go ahead and get all the fun stuff :)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
remember you can always add power windows and locks and remote entry and a tach and whatnot, yourself, further down the road, probably at a lower cost than the price difference between the two trim levels

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
Convenience vs Power Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by intioumaximus View Post
I have been debating a new yaris for the gas, and insurance savings plus the awesome rebates they have now. Anyone regret getting the convenience v. power package? I'm sure some may but there is a white one I've been eyeing with convenience package, and I had a cool nissan at one point without any power or tach and it wasn't bad at all. How is the yaris tho?

I compared the individual items that each package had, then went with the convenience package. I didn't feel it was worth the difference. Give me a decent radio, air, and I had the dealer get the rostra cruise put on. Keeps the weight down a little as well!
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I can't do cruise control. I'll fall asleep. Seriously. As for power windows and locks, you pay 1000 bucks up front to be lazy, and then I guarantee one or all of your motors will go out and you'll just be paying more money down the road.

I guess for me the convenience package was a no brainer over power.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Hehe, I'm lazy and can't imagine being without power locks & windows. I think it depends on what you learned to drive with and how long. Never driven a car without those things, and I think I would feel really.. cheap without them. Idk, I know the yaris is a cheap car already but I would feel worse if I had to use an old school hang crank to crank down the windows! Plus I can't live without keyless entry and I think you need power locks for that, I hate fumbling with keys.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
My Yaris has all the power options and I love it. If your previous car had these options, you would be very unhappy with the Yaris if it didn't have the power options.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I bought a stipped down Cobalt LS with no power options and no cruise control. The hardest thing I am having to deal with is the lack of cruise control on long trips.

I checked on having that added aftermarket, and it was a little over $400 everywhere I checked. This would be for the cruise control that would be just like the factory installed cruise control.

If resale is much of a factor for you, then you would get more on trade-in or on outright sale of the car if it is decently equipped. If I trade-in my Cobalt, the lack of options is going to cost me.

If I had it to do over, I would get an LT, which would have the power options and cruise. If I do end up getting a Yaris, you'd better believe it would have the power option AND remote keyless entry.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by intioumaximus View Post
Anyone regret getting the convenience v. power package?
Nope. My Yaris is real basic, and most days, I like it just fine the way it is. The only power I would add to the car would be in the engine otherwise, I'm happy rolling down my own windows.

I added keyless entry w/ alarm at the dealership (aftermarket part) though. Seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess. If you're going to do that, shop around first. I'm pretty sure I paid way too much at the dealership. Didn't know any better at the time.

Good luck with your decision!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
yopauly

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I bought the con package. As someone else said they didnt want anything besides AC. I live in Oklahoma so its generally too muggy to roll down the windows and the power locks werent too much of a biggie at the time. I added them later at Best Buy with some special components I had to buy and I got remote too. I really really miss cruise though. Esp since we just made a 500 mile roundtrip. Hopefully the CC is cheaper than the $400 someone else said.
yopauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I think it all comes down to whether you will keep this car for a short period of time or stick to it till it break down lol.

I am sure you can live with it if you only plan to keep it for short term. If you are going to stick to this car for a LONG time, some power option will make you feel more comfortable down the road.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
mauiyaris

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
remember you can always add power windows and locks and remote entry and a tach and whatnot, yourself, further down the road, probably at a lower cost than the price difference between the two trim levels
can aftermarket power locks be added without voiding the warranty? and possibly a trunk latch? which brand would you recommend? its the only thing that irks me about the car.
mauiyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yopauly View Post
I bought the con package. As someone else said they didnt want anything besides AC. I live in Oklahoma so its generally too muggy to roll down the windows and the power locks werent too much of a biggie at the time. I added them later at Best Buy with some special components I had to buy and I got remote too. I really really miss cruise though. Esp since we just made a 500 mile roundtrip. Hopefully the CC is cheaper than the $400 someone else said.
I guess I'm the person you are referring to, Yopauly. I checked two or three places, and the price was almost the same, about $425 give or take a few.

There are cheaper ways of having cruise control, but I was only getting something that would be just like what would have come from the factory. You can find "do it yourself" kits for cruise control, but I don't think they are as reliable as the factory type cruise.

I doubt it would make much difference in the price, but I was shopping for cruise for a Cobalt, not a Yaris.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Pet peeve here, but could we refrain from calling the Yaris "cheap?" It is not cheap, it is inexpensive. There is a difference...

As for the basics, my Yaris had CC already installed but had it not I wouldn't have wanted or missed it. In the ten years I owned the car previous to the Yaris, I probably used it a half a dozen times or less. I actually have it on my Jeep as well, and never use it there either. Same goes for the wife's Honda Odyssey.

I had power windows and locks on my previous car as well, and whereas I do miss them a little I can live without them as well. Sure, they make life easier; but as stated it is only easier until one breaks, then it is a pain in the ass!

The only "luxury" feature I knew I had to have was the auxiliary MP3 player jack, I love being able to only have to haul my Zune around to have whatever music or podcast I want. Sure, CDs produce clearer music, but the convenience is worth a little sound degradation. I don’t think I’ve used the radio at all since getting the car.

Sure, the Yaris is not a luxury machine for the most part, but it is a fun, inexpensive car that gets the job done and with great gas mileage!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Just buy the cruise and put it on yourself. $200 or so and about 2 hours...
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote