Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
llimonce

Drives: yaris sedan
water temp gauge

I need a water temp gauge .. any one ?? any ideas ??
llimonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1. Buy one.
2. Install it.

no really, kidding aside, just pick a good brand, like Autometer.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
llimonce

the auto meter comes with de sensor and wires ?? excuse my english
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

YES, any good brand will come with everything needed to install it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The easy way is a Scangauge II. Microimage sells it.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
ScanGauge as mentioned above will give you water temp and much more.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ true, and water temp is not data that needs a super fast response.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
You may also take a look at the Pivot Super Temperature Controller, it comes standard with a sensor. You could wire your car's water temperature the the controller, and you're able to monitor water temp directly through the car's on board sensor and also control the activation of the radiator fan to your preferences.

Then, with the extra sensor you can use it to monitor your oil temperature as well, because the controller provides an additional channel to monitor oil temp. So you get oil temp and water temp + fan control in 1 unit.

Retails around 130-150 USD if not mistaken, at least thats the selling price back here in our country.

Alternative, any OBD II scanner like the Greddy Informeter Touch or the Scangauge will do. At least the return on your investment in one of these units are higher as you could display a lot of other info as well and you could do a DTC scan and reset for check engine lights.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
llimonce

thanks guys !!!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
j2ip

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
ScanGauge as mentioned above will give you water temp and much more.
How do you like your ScanGauge? I am looking for one how is it work? Is that easy to install?
j2ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
+1 on the Scan Gauge. The readings it displays will be what matters anyway.

Problem with most aftermarket temp gauges is that these tend to read higher than what your car's ECU and sensors will read. DEFI, which I have some experience with, can read as much as 7 degrees celsius higher than what the ECU sees especially on cooler temps. As the temp reading gets closer to 100 degrees celsius, the discrepancy is less, like 2-3 degrees celsius off. This is basing it off a datalog from an AEM EMS and an Apexi Power FC stand-alone ECU that have laptop tuning and logging functions, versus logs taken from a DEFI BF series gauge that have internal memory logs for a couple of seconds / minutes.

GReddy and HKS gauges also read a bit higher, though not as much as the DEFI ones from my own experience and from research on users of these gauges. A lot of hard core track guys who run high HP cars all seem to agree that the Autometer gauges read closest to what the ECU and OEM sensors will see.

But the Scan Gauge allows you to measure so much more parameters for the price of just one or two of those gauges.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote