Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Synthetic Oil

Anyone plan to go Synthetic on their first oil change. What do y'all reccommend? I have used Mobil1 in the past, but I heard they have changed their formula, dumbing it down to Castrol Syntec style synthetic. I think I'm going to use Amsoil 0W-30 with an Amsoil filter. As for the ATF, I think Toyota is using synthetic ATF already because there is no scheduled service interval for the ATF flush and fill.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i was going to switch to synthetic if it meant i wouldn't need oil changes as often, but the service tech said that they still need to change the oil every 8 months, so i figured i wouldn't bother.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
every 8 months? you must not drive very much! i was doing every 7500 in my honda element w/mobil 1 - i think i might go the amsoil route with the yaris too. my dealer gives free oil changes for life though - their stipulation is of course, that you get 15K, 30K, 45K etc. etc. service done there. they charge $160 for the 15K and $360 for the 30K. too steep for me, this is a maintenance free car for well beyond those numbers! but, they do give the first 4 oil changes for free no matter what, i'll just have to bring in my own synthetic for them to put in.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
Anyone plan to go Synthetic on their first oil change. What do y'all reccommend? I have used Mobil1 in the past, but I heard they have changed their formula, dumbing it down to Castrol Syntec style synthetic. I think I'm going to use Amsoil 0W-30 with an Amsoil filter. As for the ATF, I think Toyota is using synthetic ATF already because there is no scheduled service interval for the ATF flush and fill.

You are correct
Mobil1 Synthetic is a group III mineral based oil just like Castrol Syntec and Motul.

Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple are the only major brands, easy to find that I know of that are Group IV-V oils.

I have switched to Amsoil 2000 0W-30 at 8000km.
This oil is good for 1 year or 35,000miles unless you do the lab analysis testing.
Personally I have always changed it every 6 months (usually October and April) and usually use Wix or Purolator filters, just to keep the oil looking cleaner, even though i know it's good for MUCH longer.
The Toyota ATF is not a synthetic so I would recommned changing that as well before winter.

The down side to this is Toyota wants proof the oil was changed every 8000km or so.
No problem, I just go to my local automotice store buy 4 lites of oil and a filter, make a copy of the receipt, then take the oil back and get my $$$ back. I keep my receipts in a folder in the car just incase I ever have a problem I have proof oil and filters were replaced. That's good enough for ANY warranty. NO mfg can deny warranty for doing your own maintenance either at home or other shop.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
nsmitchell

When switching over to synthetic, you are in effect, stopping your break in period because synthetics give such excellent wear protection. 8000 miles like 07WYarisRS did sounds like a good time to switch. I will be going Amsoil 2000 0W-30 with an Amsoil Ea filter. I will also be using the Amsoil engine flush. Not sure about switching the ATF though... You need to use a transmission flushing machine for that job. The mechanic might flip out when he doesn't see any throttle cable!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
When switching over to synthetic, you are in effect, stopping your break in period because synthetics give such excellent wear protection. 8000 miles like 07WYarisRS did sounds like a good time to switch. I will be going Amsoil 2000 0W-30 with an Amsoil Ea filter. I will also be using the Amsoil engine flush. Not sure about switching the ATF though... You need to use a transmission flushing machine for that job. The mechanic might flip out when he doesn't see any throttle cable!

AMSOIL SAYS

AMSOIL and Break In on New and Rebuilt Engines

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL.
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
8 months? not sure what i was thinking there, bit of a brain fart.
what i meant was 8000 km.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
Billstein
Whew Who..

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchs and Tacoma
Ever hurd of Royal Purple Full Syn.?
Friends of mine swear by it.
Bit pricey for me though..
"HIS"2007 Yaris Hatch MedSilverMetallicPower PQ Package 17" Wheels Spoiler TRD ExhTipStiletto100 Radio Armrest 50% tint windshild 35% front windows 5% rear Aluminum TRD Shift Knob Keyless Entry VIP Alarm TRD Cold Air Intake
Billstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billstein
Ever hurd of Royal Purple Full Syn.?
Friends of mine swear by it.
Bit pricey for me though..
I mentioned Royal purple in my first replay

It is a good lubricant but Royal purple in the past has show some quality control issues as I have seen personally.
I sent in a few samples to be tested and the results came back that #1 contents in bottle did notmatch grade on bottle.
#2 higher then normal amounts of water, copper were present.

Most oil companies will have some quality control issues but usually not two different oils tested at the same time.

FWIW
Even the mineral based Group III oils like Mobil 1, Stntec, Qstate synthetic, Motul, etc etc are still far better then a standard converntional oil. However because they still contain mineral oil they still suffer the break down, and diposits from mineral byproducts. The Added estersand POA do a much better job of keeping the engine clean but they just don't stand up like group IV-V lubricants do. Most group III oils still need to be changed at the mfg recommended time. Some cost slightly less then the TOP group IV-V synthetics. But if you don't want to spend the $$$ on a REAL synthetic a group III like Mobil 1 is the next best thing.
However if you figure the costs of spending $$$ on Mobil 1 every 8000km And Amsoil once a year or even twice a year. It's cheaper to use AMSOIL, REDLINE or ROYAL PURPLE.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
would like to use the amsoil, but they're hard to come by in our area, so we'll have to order some in bulk online. quick question: how long can you store new bottles of oil?? can i keep quarts of new oil stored in my garage, or should i try to buy oil only when its time for a change?? thanks for any input!!

--B
static808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

The oil has a VERY long shelf life.
I buy mine buy the cases for my shop and it often sits on the shelf for a year or two depending on the type of oil.

Amsoil says 5 years to almost infinity depending on storage and if the contraiers are opened

http://www.sinwal.com/data/storage_a...helf%20life%22

You can buy amsoil LOTS of places, check the yellow pages first
Or
If you want I can give you the name of my Amsoil guy. He is an aerospace enginner and knows more about oils and engines then just about anyone I know.
He can even set you up with discounts if you wish. Awesome guy to deal with.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
i hurd that Toyotal uses a "special" filter.
are you guys using the factory fitlers with synthetic... or are you goign aftermarket filter as well???

my old mech. recommended (in my saab) to stick with the saab filter, but still use Mobil1.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
are you guys using the factory fitlers with synthetic... or are you goign aftermarket filter as well???

my old mech. recommended (in my saab) to stick with the saab filter, but still use Mobil1.
I buy my Toyota filers by the case and keep the reciepts and careful maintenance records.

(how can vegans avoid foods produced with animal products?)
Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks

Toyota filters are some of the worst...

A filter is a filter
Some are better then others but they all do bacically the same thing.
there is nothing special about Toyota filters.

I usually use WIX or Purolator

check out this Filter test
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/oil_filter_test.html
Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
AMSOIL SAYS

AMSOIL and Break In on New and Rebuilt Engines

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL.
Interesting info. I might just do that. I know that the improved lubrication from synthetics should improve mileage as well as reduce wear. I have also used Amsoil Performance Improver (PI) in my gas in the past. I stopped using it for no apparent reason. My brother uses it in his Scion XB and can see a reduction in MPG when he does not use it. You only use 1oz per tankful and it cost about $8.00 for 16oz. ($.50 per tank for 16 tankfuls) I'm going to try it again. My MPGs are running around anywhere from 28MPG to 36MPG at most. I know the stuff cleans and lubricates everything touched by gas such as your valves and valve seals, etc. I will post my results later.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Toyota filters are some of the worst...

Please provide any reference you might have?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I haven't heard this of toyota but of other brands of cars that have a terrible (own brand ) filter and these cars are known oil burners. I also like wix and purolator. Could you give us the numbers of these please as I haven't even looked yet for an 07 Yaris.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #18
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
Please provide any reference you might have?
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/oil_filter_test.html