Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
door ding protectors ...?

Is there such a thing available for the Yaris? I want to get the insane dents out of my car caused by some d!ck at my apartment who obviously didn't know how to open his/her door properly. Well, I don't want to get them fixed and not have something to try and prevent it from happening again.

I have googled it and I have searched on here, but I don't know what they would be called other than "door guards" and nothing has popped up.

I see cars with the stripe down the middle of the door to protect from carts and whatnot, and that's what I want. Just an extra barrier to protect my baby from people lol

Anyone have any ideas on where I can go pick one of these up at?
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
I would assume any car website or auto store.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
Yeah Autozone or Discount auto parts should carry something you can buy, now whether it is color matched or not will be the issue. It will just look funky.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
MPC Motorsports

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan
You want some body side moldings...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories
They come painted in whatever your factory color is.
MPC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
You can get those 5" hard foam moldings like the driver's ED cars have in Boston, MA, haha
Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
Is there such a thing available for the Yaris? I want to get the insane dents out of my car caused by some d!ck at my apartment who obviously didn't know how to open his/her door properly. Well, I don't want to get them fixed and not have something to try and prevent it from happening again.

I have googled it and I have searched on here, but I don't know what they would be called other than "door guards" and nothing has popped up.

I see cars with the stripe down the middle of the door to protect from carts and whatnot, and that's what I want. Just an extra barrier to protect my baby from people lol

I have used 2 kinds. If you have uncovered parking, you can use this: http://www.completegarage.com/Suctio...r_Car_P421.cfm
They work good, but if windy (50+mph), may fly off, but it's heavy, so will stay near the car.

Or if you are in a garage, where your car stays dry this is good too: http://www.doordefender.com/car_and_...rotectors.html
Mine's in grey.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post

I have 2 kinds. If you have uncovered parking, you can use this: http://www.completegarage.com/Suctio...r_Car_P421.cfm
They work good, but if windy (50+mph), may fly off, but it's heavy, so will stay near the car.

Or if you are in a garage, where your car stays dry this is good too: http://www.doordefender.com/car_and_...rotectors.html
Mine's in grey.

These have worked for me, i have some extremely insensitive neighbors who FKKED up all 4 of my cars exteriors with dings and scratches.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
b00sted4fun

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
my car came from the dealer w/ the rubber trim on the doors and around the wheel wells
b00sted4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
I have the moldings from sparks toyota but they tell you to put them too low, if they were placed higher they would work a lot better.
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
People are getting confused here. The OP is not looking for those things that go on the back edge of the door so you don't put dings in other cars if you accidentally hit them; he is looking for those larger rubber strips that go down the outside of the door (parallel to the ground) the protects his doors when other people (aka idiots) hit his door!

I have to admit, I never knew that anyone made the things anonymous user posted, but that's a great idea! However, I believe the OP is looking for something that is permanently attached...

Plus, as the "security tether" is a small cable, it is easily cut and away go your $60+ door protectors! At least the suction cup ones are cheap ($8)!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I've seen them around.....

I have had a brain fart about door trim which is transparent to IR and contains IR LEDs that confuse those road side IR things. Just haven't gotten around to making them.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
SailDesign

Drives: .
Buy an old Fiat 126 and strip the mouldings off it, they may still make them in Poland. The side mouldings were great. This is my old one from before I left England. The rubber is about 3" thick, and protected the doors from just about everything, including side-swiping a brick bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiat 126a.jpg (78.0 KB, 284 views)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Har har! Now then, this business of "sideswiping a bridge"... Are you speaking from experience here? ;-)
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Har har! Now then, this business of "sideswiping a bridge"... Are you speaking from experience here? ;-)
Um - yes....
I had a section of my commute in the UK that was back-roads (REALLY twisty lanes in behind Borden, Hants, for those who know the area) and one turn was a 120 onto a brick bridge. The farm on the other side of the bridge was a cow farm, and if the cows had been moved from the field on one side of the road to the home fields, there would be a thick layer of cowshit on the road. The first time I found out about this I actually bounced from side to side of the bridge as I went across it. No damage apart from some minor scuffing on the rubber. Mind you, those cars are LIGHT!
Never repeated that midstake.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Seriously. Make your own and save yourself a lot of money. Get some long foam blocks and some magnets and there you go. LOL

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Couple of options for the Yaris in the ebay search I did...

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=yar...ldin&_osacat=0

Don't rule out UK sellers either. They ship fast and cheap to North America.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #17
09YarisNC

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door hatchback
Door side protectors

I just hang a few old tires on the outside of the door, sort of like when you would dock a boat. Most drivers stay far away from me.
09YarisNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Door protectors are a good idea. It can give peace of mind, but it will not always protect. There are different size vehicles and the protectors pretty much protect against vehicles that are the same size. SUVs and trucks are much higher. Some people just don't care about other people's cars and will open their door as wide as possible so they are not inconvenienced. I try to park away from other cars.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote