Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
15K Maintenance

So yesterday I went to get my oil changed for the 15K mile interval, and the clerk at the dealer said that it's time for me to do air filter, cabin filter, alignment on tires, and something about a valve, for $130. Does this sound right? I just told the lady that I came for an oil change and that's it. Is this just extra stuff that they want to charge me for?
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I don't think so. All you have to do is check the air filter yourself, just pop off the cover and check it. the air filter should be good for at least 25K if not more depending on how dirty it is. Same goes for the cabin air filter, drop the glove compartment and open the slot for the cabin air filter and check it, but make sure you have one as a lot of the 2007's came through without one. On the alignment just look at your tires, if they are wearing evenly then you don't need an alignment, just rotate them every 10K or so. On the valves you shouldn't need any adjustment, check your owners manual as they shouldn't need adjustment unless noisy. I find the dealers try to sell you maintence items you dont need, just follow the owners manual for all the maintence. I have 57K on my 2007 sedan and only have had the oil and filter changed every 5K and tires rotated every 10K. I've also changed the air filer twice, 25K each and the cabin air filter once. Thats it except for gas.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
So yesterday I went to get my oil changed for the 15K mile interval, and the clerk at the dealer said that it's time for me to do air filter, cabin filter, alignment on tires, and something about a valve, for $130. Does this sound right? I just told the lady that I came for an oil change and that's it. Is this just extra stuff that they want to charge me for?
considering the cost of an alignment (45$ usually) and the cost to have the cabin air filter. 130$ is a pretty darn good deal.

Some toyota dealers are pretty proud of their price too!! ie, 99$ for a cabin air filter. lol

Although, filters do need to get checked, and anyone who is able to change their vaccum cleaner's bag is able to change both air filters.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
considering the cost of an alignment (45$ usually) and the cost to have the cabin air filter. 130$ is a pretty darn good deal.

Some toyota dealers are pretty proud of their price too!! ie, 99$ for a cabin air filter. lol

Although, filters do need to get checked, and anyone who is able to change their vaccum cleaner's bag is able to change both air filters.
Its not a bad price, but there's no way he needs an alignment at 15k. I drive pretty aggressive and have 70k and still haven't had it aligned.

"something about a valve" <<< figure out what they mean. I can't think of a valve that wouldn't be covered under warranty, if it in fact needed replacing at 15k miles.

The cabin air filter is up to you. I still haven't put one in.. I'm thinking about doing the DIY one sooner or later.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Yeah, that's not too bad. I was charged $175 :(
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
b00sted4fun

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
if you want to stay in your factory warranty it has to be done... I just had mine done. The Dealer I got my car from has a coupon book that once said and done everything was only like 110$
b00sted4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted4fun View Post
if you want to stay in your factory warranty it has to be done...
not true
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
not true
Without proof that you had all the regular maintenence done, it can be tough to get warranty reparis when something goes horribly wrong, such as a gunked up engine.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Without proof that you had all the regular maintenence done, it can be tough to get warranty reparis when something goes horribly wrong, such as a gunked up engine.
the fault has to be a direct result of part not replaced. If the engine is gunked up and the cabin filter is not changed, it has nothing to do with it.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
captainm27

Ok, so maybe the price wasn't too bad..... I don't know....I was just under the impression that all you had to do was change the oil in this car
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
You might not even have cabin filter. My car didn't come with one. The air and cabin filters can easily be replaced by yourself. Unless you hit a curb or the car pulls to one side or you have uneven tire ware I wouldn't worry about an alignment. You might want to check tire air pressure and rotate your tires. I don't know about the "valve".
Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Ok, so maybe the price wasn't too bad..... I don't know....I was just under the impression that all you had to do was change the oil in this car
but there isn't any reason to do an alignment at 15k. I THINK it is recommended to have it checked yearly (as they say), but if the car goes straight (hands off steering wheel), i wouldn't let them do it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I just opted for the oil change along with the usual inspections and adjustments for $80.

They wanted to charge $160 to add the filter services (parts altogether are only about $50). Better to just do that 2 min job yourself...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
my car doesn't even have a cabin filter...
and yes you should change your air filter, sounds like a good idea to me ! :D
depending on when last you got an alignment, it might be worth it. if your car pulls in either direction, it's worth it in my opinion.
I'd have to say, the best thing I bought with my car was the 2 year maintenance plan. saved me quite a bit, and I can show up and walk out without paying a dime for regular maintenance.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
my car doesn't even have a cabin filter...
Alot of ours didn't for some reason. It's a good idea to get one if you live in a warm climate with allergens

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Bull about having to have that done to stay in warranty. Look at the service schedule in the glove box... Change the oil. Rotate the tires front-to-back if you want to replace them at the same time (otherwise the front tires wear out faster and the back ones hardly wear at all). Keep track of the mileage of your oil changes if you do them yourself, and keep the oil and filter receipts. That's all you are required to do... the law protects you here. Anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't know better or works as a service writer at a stealership.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
It depends on what you're comfortable with, but all I've had up until now is the oil changed. I drive gently and put on mostly hwy miles, so there isn't any wear and tear on the car as I approach 60k kms.

If you had 60k on the car in heavy stop & go with short trips and varying weather, I'd imagine the car will require more maintenance.

You don't need to do all that extra stuff to stay under warranty, that's a scare tactic.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
but there isn't any reason to do an alignment at 15k. I THINK it is recommended to have it checked yearly (as they say), but if the car goes straight (hands off steering wheel), i wouldn't let them do it.
Well, to tell ya the truth, my car had been leaning to the right. I first noticed this after leaving a car wash. Then, when I ran over the Rabbit I noticed it even more. I went to a local guy who did the wheel alignment for me for $65 in 15 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
It depends on what you're comfortable with, but all I've had up until now is the oil changed. I drive gently and put on mostly hwy miles, so there isn't any wear and tear on the car as I approach 60k kms.

If you had 60k on the car in heavy stop & go with short trips and varying weather, I'd imagine the car will require more maintenance.

You don't need to do all that extra stuff to stay under warranty, that's a scare tactic.
I don't do as much stop and go, but I do come across it. I work at a job where I do all 3 shifts, and the day shifts I always hit traffic coming home.