Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What About The AC?

When you have to use the AC, it is worth it to set the blower as low as possible? In other words, does it use more gas to set the fan switch on 4 instead of 1?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
No. The fan speed is reduced by simply adding a resistor(s), rather than by an electronic speed control, so the same amount of power is consumed regardless of fan speed.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No. The fan speed is reduced by simply adding a resistor(s), rather than by an electronic speed control, so the same amount of power is consumed regardless of fan speed.
Is this true?

If it is then I feel like an ass for driving this whole time with the fan on 1 thinking that I was saving some gas, but still uncomfortably hot.

Nothing to do with fuel economy, but when you have the A/C on, is it better to have the air on circulation than it is to let outside air in?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yes.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Yes.
Is this a yes to both questions?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
When the A/C is on recirc, you are only re-cooling the already cool air from inside your car, but when you are on not on recirc, you are pulling in some of that extremely hot outside air and trying to get it cool. It is MUCH easier to keep your car cool by using the recirc setting.
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Yes. And when you're running the fan more slowly, the compressor (which is what REALLY draws the power) will be running much less. It kicks on and off to keep the discharge air at a minimum temperature.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
bronsin

Yes it makes the air much cooler inside the car when running on recirc. But its also a good idea to run the system on fresh air for a while maybe once a day. Running on recirc for long periods of time will foul up the inside of the climate control system. I think mould and other nastyness grows in there.
Yesterday was the first day this summer Ive needed the AC on. Its been amazing cool here in South Jersey this summer!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
^ and working off of that...

Keep it on recirc until maybe the last couple of miles of your trip so that things do dry out by the time you reach your destination.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Running on recirc will lead to drying of the system as moisture precipitates out of the air on each pass. Open it up to the humid outside air we have here, and it'll produce far more condensation.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
bronsin

Hmm my wife basically destroyed her Honda years ago by constantly running it on recirc with the aC on full blast. The climate system stunk so bad we junked the car. Maybe it was something else...?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I "pulse and glide" my AC when I need to use it by keeping it on recirc and running the AC until it gets cool. Then I turn it off and when it gets too warm I turn it back on again. I try to run the AC on the down hills when I'm mostly in DFCO anyway ("free AC").

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
No longer keep track of mpg's...as the little car always does well. As far as AC is concerned, if it is hot in the car...use it. Driving in a comfortable temperature sure beats driving around on a warm day and cooking inside a car..regardless how much extra fuel you may use.....better to be comfortable.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
No longer keep track of mpg's...as the little car always does well. As far as AC is concerned, if it is hot in the car...use it. Driving in a comfortable temperature sure beats driving around on a warm day and cooking inside a car..regardless how much extra fuel you may use.....better to be comfortable.
Word.
You already saved a bunch of money by buying a cheap underpowered jap car that gets good mileage, why torture yourself sweating inside a car youre making payments on? Buy premium too and live a little..my mileage went up 1.5 to 2 mpg in the hot weather just by buying premium, the car likes it under load (I drive hard), live a little cheapskates.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
yarisitis

I own my car, but yeah you're right I might as well take advantage of it 100%.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Word.
You already saved a bunch of money by buying a cheap underpowered jap car that gets good mileage, why torture yourself sweating inside a car youre making payments on? Buy premium too and live a little..my mileage went up 1.5 to 2 mpg in the hot weather just by buying premium, the car likes it under load (I drive hard), live a little cheapskates.
I have ridden my bicycle across the country, sometimes in very hot weather. Also there were years back there where I put more miles on my bicycle than my car! So the heat doesnt bother me much. I only got AC in the Yaris because of resale issues, that and just try to find one without it!
I have a feeling, given our insane spending and wastefull habits, that just having a car to drive, any car whether it has AC or not, is going to be a BIG DEAL sometime in the not too distant future. I think someday the Yaris will be seen to be a BIG car with a rather large and powerfull engine.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

As government regulation now stands, by 2016 the current Yaris will have average mileage for a US-sold car.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
my mileage went up 1.5 to 2 mpg in the hot weather just by buying premium
i'm not sure how that can be possible? premium is usually just for octane to reduce knocking in high compression engines.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote